Quantcast

MTB HAll of Fame moves to Fairfax, CA

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Who can afford to go to Fairfax and visit there? Hey lets move it to Fairfax... Probably the second most inaccessible place on the Planet after Crested Butte. I guess all the rich West Coasters wanted to keep all that History to themselves. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Repack Rider

Monkey
Oct 8, 2007
Marin County, California
Who can afford to go to Fairfax and visit there? Hey lets move it to Fairfax... Probably the second most inaccessible place on the Planet after Crested Butte. I guess all the rich West Coasters wanted to keep all that History to themselves. Enjoy.
How far is Crested Butte from a town over 10,000 population? Surely you have heard of San Francisco. Big town, millions of people live within fifty miles of Fairfax, while thousands of people within fifty miles of Crested Butte.

It's just under 20 miles from the Golden Gate Bridge (a big local landmark) to Fairfax. How "inaccessible" is the freakin' Golden Gate Bridge? A lot of people seem to find THAT every day. You can get from the Bridge to Fairfax ON YOUR BIKE in an hour, and hundreds of cyclists do that every weekend. If you take the ferry (bikes ride free), after the scenic voyage across the bay it's a fifteen minute bike ride to Fairfax from the terminal in Larkspur. Fairfax is four miles from US 101, the major north-south coastal travel corridor. Hundreds of riders show up every weekend with two or three MTBs on the car. Fairfax is on the main coastal route for bicycle tourists, who stream through town all summer. Fairfax is host to so many cyclists that it's hard to understand where you think this place is that is hard to find.

There are two mountain biker drinking establishments, two big bike shops, and the place hosts the biggest and oldest annual MTB ride in the world. There is a publicly sponsored monument to the town's mountain bike history.

This is what the Gestalt Haus looks like when the indoor bike parking is used up. How did these people EVER find Fairfax?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Ok I'll bite... Ship my ass to Cali and back comfortably = $1250. Stay in SF reasonably safe and comfortable 3 days = $800. Food = $1000. Bike shipment to cali and home = complete pain the ass and $300. Add tolls and parking tickets to my rental car = $500/600. Good luck with all that. I can get to Cabo from San Diego or Dallas for half that and actually ride my bike on trails, eat good food and make my own history. San Francisco sucks badly unless you are a millionaire and so does Crested Butte, No if ands or buts....

Last edited:

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Hey JD I'd rent you space in my RV but you would get glitter all over it....

There are a ton of safe and less expensive places to stay in the bay area and you can take a ferry straight into Marin with your bike or take BART or Caltrain to SF and bike across the golden gate

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Ok I'll bite... Ship my ass to Cali and back comfortably = $1250.
you can fly to SFO from Rochester for $476...rental car included for five days..thru orbitz..

flying to denver with rental car $433......

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Ok I'll bite... Ship my ass to Cali and back comfortably = $1250. Stay in SF reasonably safe and comfortable 3 days = $800. Food = $1000. Bike shipment to cali and home = complete pain the ass and $300. Add tolls and parking tickets to my rental car = $500/600. Good luck with all that. I can get to Cabo from San Diego or Dallas for half that and actually ride my bike on trails, eat good food and make my own history. San Francisco sucks badly unless you are a millionaire and so does Crested Butte, No if ands or buts....
I don't get it. You are basically saying the Hall should come to you, and anywhere else just sucks.

Where are you coming from that it will cost you $1250 to get to SFO but somehow not cost anything to get to the current Hall? How many times have you been to the current, super accessible Hall?

You don't need to stay in SF or spend nearly that much on food to visit Fairfax. Plenty of inexpensive lodging in San Rafael and other spots along the 101. As for "actually" riding your bike on trails, of course you can do that in and around Fairfax.

Come on out. We'll go for a ride and I'll buy you a round and a sausage at Gestalt. Or don't, and enjoy making your own history. :rolleyes:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't get it. You are basically saying the Hall should come to you, and anywhere else just sucks.

Where are you coming from that it will cost you $1250 to get to SFO but somehow not cost anything to get to the current Hall? How many times have you been to the current, super accessible Hall?

You don't need to stay in SF or spend nearly that much on food to visit Fairfax. Plenty of inexpensive lodging in San Rafael and other spots along the 101. As for "actually" riding your bike on trails, of course you can do that in and around Fairfax.

Come on out. We'll go for a ride and I'll buy you a round and a sausage at Gestalt. Or don't, and enjoy making your own history. :rolleyes:
Quite simple actually. SF is a city of millionaires for millionaires. If your not loaded your not welcome there as has been my experience when I last visited there. Most mountain bikers cannot afford to go to SF to celebrate the history of the sport we love. Crested Butte is in the same boat unless you're wealthy. The KOA in Gunnison was $160 for 2 nights in a mouse infested cabin.....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Too bad there's no freakin' TRAILS to ride in Marin anymore....(excepting Tamarancho). It's just sad.
Seems only fair that they should have the Hall of Fame there - since there's hardly any legal singletrack left to ride.

Crested Butte, OTOH... there's basically no end to the singletrack. Despite being practically hemmed in on all 4 sides by Designated Wilderness Areas.

The Bay Area mt bikers are getting the shaft. :disgust1:

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Newsflash: Fairfax is not in San Francisco. And there is a lot of riding around here. But perhaps your attitude it what makes you unwelcome in these parts...

tingers

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Quite simple actually. SF is a city of millionaires for millionaires. If your not loaded your not welcome there as has been my experience when I last visited there. Most mountain bikers cannot afford to go to SF to celebrate the history of the sport we love. Crested Butte is in the same boat unless you're wealthy. The KOA in Gunnison was $160 for 2 nights in a mouse infested cabin.....
Who said it was moving to San Francisco. I have always wanted to go to it , and now that it's moving semi close by I can.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Is this serious? Did you fail geography? Do you realize you could fly into sac, hit Tahoe one day, auburn the next, Rockville after that, then some Bay Area riding and hit the "museum" on the way? All this and you can never even touch SF.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Not that I care where the MBHOF is, but I am excited that my good friend Marla Streb got word last week that she will be inducted.
About freaking time, she rocks. I saw her blister through a rock garden during practice at Snowshoe in 2001 like it was a gravel parking lot. Two other top pros complained and had it removed from the course because they couldn't get through it. I've had mad respect for her since then.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
About freaking time, she rocks. I saw her blister through a rock garden during practice at Snowshoe in 2001 like it was a gravel parking lot. Two other top pros complained and had it removed from the course because they couldn't get through it. I've had mad respect for her since then.
The funny thing is that she never really wanted to race DH but she was good at it so sponsors started throwing money at her, she won a few races and said "alright I guess I'll do it."

klunkerbill

Chimp
Apr 7, 2008
I'm stoked about the move, especially considering how many of the Charter Members of the HOF live within spitting distance of the new location. I'm surprised about the haters but , mostly, I'm curious how that extremely unlikeable wanker above can eat almost $350 worth of food a day? I suppose if you travel First Class ($1250) and your rental car is a Cadillac Escalade you probably do eat A LOT of caviar. Glad you won't be visiting. Fairfax doesn't want you.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I'm stoked about the move, especially considering how many of the Charter Members of the HOF live within spitting distance of the new location. I'm surprised about the haters but , mostly, I'm curious how that extremely unlikeable wanker above can eat almost $350 worth of food a day? I suppose if you travel First Class ($1250) and your rental car is a Cadillac Escalade you probably do eat A LOT of caviar. Glad you won't be visiting. Fairfax doesn't want you.
The last time I went to SF I brought the ex. We rented a Corolla and stayed in the Holiday Inn. Since neither Her or I eat at McDonald's we lived the food end of the trip up a bit. We visited her cousin in Tiborun, hence my comment about tolls and fines. I have no intention in visiting the pile of turd that is everything north of the bridge again in my life. To qualify I find I do not enjoy visiting the wealthy areas of most American Cities. I know I am supposed to be in awe of the excesses of the wealthy, but I am not. Like Fairfax I accept that I am monentarily challenged and won't be booking any trips to Fairfax, The Hamptons, or Grosse Pointe...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The last time I went to SF I brought the ex. We rented a Corolla and stayed in the Holiday Inn. Since neither Her or I eat at McDonald's we lived the food end of the trip up a bit. We visited her cousin in Tiborun, hence my comment about tolls and fines. I have no intention in visiting the pile of turd that is everything north of the bridge again in my life. To qualify I find I do not enjoy visiting the wealthy areas of most American Cities. I know I am supposed to be in awe of the excesses of the wealthy, but I am not. Like Fairfax I accept that I am monentarily challenged and won't be booking any trips to Fairfax, The Hamptons, or Grosse Pointe...
So missing out on Santa Rosa, Bear Republic Brewery, Russian River, Lagunitas, all the awesome mountain bike trails up that way, Pt Reyes, etc. That sucks.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Come to Sonoma county, 1/2 hour north of Fairfax. Decent trails, nice wineries, killer food. We even had a demolition derby a couple weeks ago.

I agree, SF sucks a dong. But Fairfax is NOT SF. There is a living sh!t-ton of AWESOME stuff in California. Lakes, mountains, coastline, redwoods, farmland, vineyards.

But SF is a stinky piss pool.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So missing out on Santa Rosa, Bear Republic Brewery, Russian River, Lagunitas, all the awesome mountain bike trails up that way, Pt Reyes, etc. That sucks.
Did I mention we even have monster trucks and demolition derby?

Also Sonoma county is WAY bike-friendly. Much more so than Marin even.

But I can understand putting the HOF there in Fairfax. The sport of mountain biking was literally born there.