Quantcast

Need moar Jester - The 2012 Monkeyfest thread

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Yeah I intend on taking a shuttle or three next year, but I still think that operating the big lift, even on random specified weekends, would make more of a destination, even more than it already is. As much as I loved KS and jester, they just aren't legitimate DH trails, which you can find right at the top of the mountain.
The map shows a few trails from the top of the mountain - what are those like?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Haven't been on them, but my understanding is STEEP and otherwise typically east coast (rocks, roots, mud). I hiked to the top once and it was rich soil with large rocks and lots of pine trees...would make for super fun NE style riding, but I haven't ridden the official trails.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I think if we're having kids/under age riders, this is about where I bow out. I am a bit of the wild bunch, so even without my riding buddies showing up, I am inappropriate for children/young adults.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The map shows a few trails from the top of the mountain - what are those like?
Haven't been on them, but my understanding is STEEP and otherwise typically east coast (rocks, roots, mud). I hiked to the top once and it was rich soil with large rocks and lots of pine trees...would make for super fun NE style riding, but I haven't ridden the official trails.
Trails starting at the very top are pretty legit rocky/rooty/muddy/steep DH trails typical of NE. There were a few spots on my RFX w/ 5.5" Pike that were butt-puckering, and a couple I was too chicken to even attempt for fear of going OTB (I DH the RFX very little, so when stuff gets really gnarly I'm not super confident). Of course it would be a different story on the DHR, but still very respectable DH trails.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think if we're having kids/under age riders, this is about where I bow out. I am a bit of the wild bunch, so even without my riding buddies showing up, I am inappropriate for children/young adults.
honestly, monkeyfest is a fairly tame event. We have fun, but most people are adults and act like them. It is not a whiskey bingefest/bender. I certainly would love to meet you in real life, but don't get your expectations wrong...it's more about riding bikes and enjoying beer than slamming back pounders and starting fires. The riding is top notch, we have history as a group/in the lodge/on the trails, and Burke keeps growing.

I'm not the organizer, but I will say that if that doesn't sound like a good time, I'd choose something else.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Wait, were you there that night in McHenry? That night might have gotten out of hand, but sometimes it seems like a good idea to see if you can jump a fire full of spray paint cans on a dare on your DH bike...

Might also want to take note that we do not tear the place up, antagonize the locals, get in fights with each other &c &c. We drink up a storm but civility reigns.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Might also want to take note that we do not tear the place up, antagonize the locals, get in fights with each other &c &c. We drink up a storm but civility reigns.
Oddly, that's not the way I do things either. I am a friendly drunk, sometimes too friendly, but I also am a bit verbose, a bit obscene, and a bit disgusting. I just don't like to travel and then have to censor myself. Sounds like it would have been a good time, but I am just not a big partaker in kids/under age utes.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Oddly, that's not the way I do things either. I am a friendly drunk, sometimes too friendly, but I also am a bit verbose, a bit obscene, and a bit disgusting. I just don't like to travel and then have to censor myself. Sounds like it would have been a good time, but I am just not a big partaker in kids/under age utes.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
You know, I can't recall there ever being any issues between people at a Monkeyfest I've been to, no drunken antics that got out of hand, no antagonizing the locals. I don't think we've ever even had to suggest that somebody might want to turn things down a notch or two. Overall I think we do a pretty good job of policing ourselves.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah it's like we're all adults or something. I think the rowdiest we've ever been was the moonshine circle track racing, drunks down burnham down, and the whiskey flask night rides....but we never managed to burn much of anything.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Yeah it's like we're all adults or something. I think the rowdiest we've ever been was the moonshine circle track racing, drunks down burnham down, and the whiskey flask night rides....but we never managed to burn much of anything.
Sshhh...don't use that "a" word around here.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
If I make it to Monkeyfest this Summer or Fall I would love to ride Burnham Down and Moose Alley in the daylight. Only times I've rode either of those trails was in the darkness... and fairly drunk.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I am fairly certain the first drunken night ride was my idea. It also involved the reward of sausage afterwards. Has that tradition carried on? Stunthendge was around the bonfire and came very close to it as I recall. It's a shame we don't have access to the camp anymore. That was truly off the hook....

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I am fairly certain the first drunken night ride was my idea. It also involved the reward of sausage afterwards. Has that tradition carried on? Stunthendge was around the bonfire and came very close to it as I recall. It's a shame we don't have access to the camp anymore. That was truly off the hook....
It's a required event for all first-timers.

Yelo

Monkey
Aug 3, 2008
Quebec city, Quebec, Canada
I our case, we are planning for one riding and one sitting part of the day then switch for the rest of the day... I know for sure that when I'll be sitting, I'll actually be walking the trails somewhere...

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Are you freakin kidding me? You are completely unable to control yourself when kids are around? We're talking about there being somewhere between two and four little ones, not a daycare or preschool enviornment. Whatever. Stay home if you lack self control.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Are you freakin kidding me? You are completely unable to control yourself when kids are around? We're talking about there being somewhere between two and four little ones, not a daycare or preschool enviornment. Whatever. Stay home if you lack self control.
are you freakin kidding me? Dirt is completely unable to control himself when nobody else is around

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Stay home if you lack self control.
That's my plan. I don't really associate with kids. When I get time off, which is rare these days, I intend to cut loose and let the demons out for a minute. That's not the best idea around the childrens. "Man's gotta know his limitations."

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
I see the vids and pics from Splat\BadDNA every year .. and I never make it. LoohooZa!
This year .. I'm going and seeing the goodness in person.
Thanks for making it happen folks.

Millstone is also on the bucket list for this summer.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I see the vids and pics from Splat\BadDNA every year .. and I never make it. LoohooZa!
This year .. I'm going and seeing the goodness in person.
Thanks for making it happen folks.

Millstone is also on the bucket list for this summer.
We can ride Millstone on the way home on Sunday. Two great spots in one weekend!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm in. Can we explore other lodge options? This thing getting kind of pricey.
Dude with a one third full lodge it cost $100 this fall including food. If you can't afford the ~$65 it costs regularly, youre doing it wrong. It'll cost you $25 a night just to camp in the area.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Dude with a one third full lodge it cost $100 this fall including food. If you can't afford the ~$65 it costs regularly, youre doing it wrong. It'll cost you $25 a night just to camp in the area.
True story. Last time I came with 120 lbs of baggage I had to pay for. That threw off my cash meter. Thanks for talking some sense into me. Party on, Wayne.

Edit: I want to ride millstone really bad. I'm down for that as well.