Quantcast

New fork or new wheelset???

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
bluebug32 said:
Is it possible to get something considerably lighter for this price though?

I suspect yes - lighter and more than likely stronger and more durable due to them being handbuilt.

check into www.oddsandendos.com I think it is.

but there might be a good local wheelbuilder close to you too. Check with your LBS - now is a slow time and I bet someone would have plenty of time to build you up a nice set of wheels.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
MMcG said:
I suspect yes - lighter and more than likely stronger and more durable due to them being handbuilt.

but there might be a good local wheelbuilder close to you too. Check with your LBS - now is a slow time and I bet someone would have plenty of time to build you up a nice set of wheels.
Good plan. I'll have to look into that

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
Right now, I'm running Panaracer Fire XTs

and it's a pain to change the tire with the Sun rims

That's the stone cold truth. I had some sun 0 degree XC rims once upon a time, and you practically needed a crowbar to the the bead over the edge of the rim, combine that with Hutchenson Pythons and you've got hours of entertainment.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
i would def go for the new wheelset first. first off , iuts a great way to lose overall weight, the rotational mass effects the bike mostly. you can get a nice wheelset at a good price if you shop around. perhaps xt/rhynolights??? good price , strong build, no to heavy.
I would ride on the fork until you cant anymore.. i see tons of great deals on a new forks all the time on ebay, busted spoke, RM and bicycling webstores all the time. keep your eye open for a deal

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
bluebug32 said:
I really like the idea of going tubeless.

How does Stan's work exactly? And is it pretty reliable?
i was going to go tubeless but changed my mind for 3 reasons.. its a damn hassle to get the tire on and seated properly at home, let alone the trail ...
most ppl I know that have them wind up putting tubes in them once they do flat..
tire choice
but i def see the benefits

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
hooples3 said:
i was going to go tubeless but changed my mind for 3 reasons.. its a damn hassle to get the tire on and seated properly at home, let alone the trail ...
most ppl I know that have them wind up putting tubes in them once they do flat..
tire choice
but i def see the benefits
I had tubless and I was happy with them. I never had a flat, however this year as I went back to tubes I've been plagued with flats. I'm also fatter! :)
I think if I went back to tubless I would do it without Stans.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
I really like the idea of going tubeless.

How does Stan's work exactly? And is it pretty reliable?

Stan's is a mixture or Thinned out latex and a few other things. It's pretty reliable, especially in UST tubless tires. In regular tires the only problem I've seen is that sidewall gashes don't always seal, that's probably because they just flex too much. With UST tires I've never had a flat.

If you go to real tubeless tires (UST) use www.bestbikebuys.com to search for the tire you want. Kenda nevergals and blue grooves both work well and are usually on sale somewhere (bluesky or beyondbikes). Beyons bikes has a coupon 'TIRE44' that gets you 10% off kenda tires, but you can only use one code per order.

If you use regular tires with stan's you'll want to chack every couple of months to make sure it's still good. It will eventually evaporate, plus there's a procedure of shaking and tilting to make sure the stan's seals the bead.

I chose the tubless because It's one less thing to worry about.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
I'm finding that ebay could be a nice place to find some King hubs....

Hrm....
Why are you going to spend all your money there. You can get a great set of hubs for WAY less.

You're not that hardcore of a rider yet.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
stosh said:
Why are you going to spend all your money there. You can get a great set of hubs for WAY less.

You're not that hardcore of a rider yet.
What would you recommend? I could do that and have them built, or I could find a used set of crossmax's. But hell, some of them prices are indeed veeeeery cheap on there.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
robdamanii said:
What would you recommend? I could do that and have them built, or I could find a used set of crossmax's. But hell, some of them prices are indeed veeeeery cheap on there.
Well I guess my idea of cheap and yours may be different. I don't know a lot about wheels so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending anything to you other than the few factory built wheels I've owned.

I'm looking to upgrade the rims on my HT this year so I too am in the market. It just seems to me that you could save some money and still get a great set of hubs.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
stosh said:
Well I guess my idea of cheap and yours may be different. I don't know a lot about wheels so I wouldn't feel comfortable recommending anything to you other than the few factory built wheels I've owned.

I'm looking to upgrade the rims on my HT this year so I too am in the market. It just seems to me that you could save some money and still get a great set of hubs.
I'm sure I can find a deal on something somewhere. If I'm going to be adding weight to my ride by moving to the full squish, I'd like to try and save weight wherever I can. Those WTB/Shimano wheels on the HT are boat anchors.

Seems like Crosslands are a good recommendation from what I've read, and they'll be rim compatible for your HT as well. I think Jenson has the silver ones on sale for just a hair over two bills.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
rob, if you want very high quality hubs w/o spending CK or Hadley $, i highly suggest Hope Bulbs. i've had a few sets since '00 and they are set and forget.

some of my friends really rate highly the instant engagement feeling of the Kings, and now that i've been riding a rear King i can see where they are coming from, but it's a spendy product.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
narlus said:
rob, if you want very high quality hubs w/o spending CK or Hadley $, i highly suggest Hope Bulbs. i've had a few sets since '00 and they are set and forget.
I was just about to suggest them. Speedgoat's got 'em for $284/pr w/ free shipping.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
MMcG said:

I second www.oddsandendos.com. Its a one man shop (Mike) and you can pick up a nice set of WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs laced to Velocity VXC rims that will weight less than 1600g for around $360. I ran these on my last bike and plan on buying another set this spring for my current bike.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
I'd thought about hopes. Someone said they may be too much for what I'm looking for, but they seem to be a nice hubset. Just need to lace them to something....maybe 819 rims.

Perhaps Crosslands for Beth's Kik are in order, since she could run tubeless and reduce weight that way. Or the other option would be the FSA XC-300 wheelset. Anyone have any experience with them?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the bulbs are touted as the 'freeride' hub and can also be used for DH no problem, but they are not boat anchors by any stretch.

one nice thing (and it may not be relevant to you) but the hubs are easily convertible between QR and thru-axle, w/ some adapters. so if you move to a bigger travel bike, the hub can be compliant (though the rim it's laced to may need replacing).

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
pixelninja said:
I second www.oddsandendos.com. Its a one man shop (Mike) and you can pick up a nice set of WTB Lazer Disc Lite hubs laced to Velocity VXC rims that will weight less than 1600g for around $360. I ran these on my last bike and plan on buying another set this spring for my current bike.
I'm muchly liking that shop. I may go with them after seeing what they offer. Excellent selection, and I'm assuming all hand built wheels.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
I'd thought about hopes. Someone said they may be too much for what I'm looking for, but they seem to be a nice hubset. Just need to lace them to something....maybe 819 rims.

Perhaps Crosslands for Beth's Kik are in order, since she could run tubeless and reduce weight that way. Or the other option would be the FSA XC-300 wheelset. Anyone have any experience with them?
If you are looking into wheels - might want to give these a look see:

http://www.greenfishsports.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=851

I think these get hand built buy guys at Cane Creek - I had some on my Surly Instigator and when they came to me they had a tag on em signed by the guy who built them. they were solid wheels and I'm not sure if it was the wheels or the bike, but I climbed like a mofo on my Surly Instigator with them when we were up riding the Kingdom Trails in late summer 2005.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
MMcG said:
Narlus is wise - Hope Hubs have a very good reputation. Also DT Swiss hubs offer a ton of bang for the buck IMO.

I've been riding the hope-xc disc hubs for two years, no problems, spin great, engage quickly, bullet proof.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
robdamanii said:
I'm muchly liking that shop. I may go with them after seeing what they offer. Excellent selection, and I'm assuming all hand built wheels.
Yeah, hand built by Mike. Great guy to talk to. We talked for about an hour figuring out exactly what I wanted/needed.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
pixelninja said:
Yeah, hand built by Mike. Great guy to talk to. We talked for about an hour figuring out exactly what I wanted/needed.
I tossed him an e-mail questioning if I could get a different hub set built. Those prices for the ones on the site are really a damn good deal...

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
robdamanii said:
But that's also before the auction's up. Everything looks good on Ebay when there's 6 days left.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
my past two wheel sets <two different bikes> have been with the hope hubs, i like them a lot , I have had kings and i dont think they are that much better compared to the cost difference.
If i was just looking for light and strong i dont think xt/rhyno lights can be beat for the money

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
just curious, with no plans on racing why would you be worried about weight??

if I decided on no more racing, my criterea would be strong/sturdy/long lasting and price...with little concern on weight

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
robdamanii said:
True.

I'm leaning towards hope/819 wheels or laser disc lite/syndergy wheels.

I think I'll look into crosslands for the Kik.
Crosslands - how are they rated?

Does bluebug hate her Sun rims? Because Greenfish also has a nice wheelset that is based on DT Swiss Onyx Disc Hubs and sun rims - forget which model for less than the Crosslands they have advertised.

I think DT Swiss hubs are good quality and I've heard nothing but good things about DT Swiss customer service as well.

There are tons of good options out there that's for sure.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hooples3 said:
my past two wheel sets <two different bikes> have been with the hope hubs, i like them a lot , I have had kings and i dont think they are that much better compared to the cost difference.
If i was just looking for light and strong i dont think xt/rhyno lights can be beat for the money
On that note - looky here!

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140450

Bluebug could probably get these and still afford the Talas that is for sale in the buy and sell forum. :)