Quantcast

New fork or new wheelset???

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
Those things are boat anchors. I doubt that's a good thing on a king kik....

2600+ grams for a set, without skewers.... Damn. You could get a set of crossmax's and have enough weight left over to carry a spare rear wheel.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
I love my Talas fork.

I'm taking my first real ride on a fox talas XTT tomorrow...I hope it was worth it. It replaces a minute 1:00 on my Talas switchblade. I liked the minute and if my test ride around the neighborhood is any indication I'm going to like it.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
Here's a thought on forks for people....

Do you actually use your lockout feature or is it a waste of perfectly good money?

Only one bike doesn't have a platform fork, and I never use it. The adjustability, I use every ride.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Reactor said:
You could get a set of crossmax's and have enough weight left over to carry a spare rear wheel.
That might be a good idea after talking to a buddy about two of his rear rims imploding.*

*OK he only ripped some spokes out of the rims but mavic wouldn't cover it, and the local trails are pretty smooth.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
I had the hopes laced to 729's for my intense... they are pretty damn sweet.. i am a big rider and these take more abuse then I can dish out...
you can go with the 829's if you want tubeless...

its an expensive wheelset but well worth it

strong, light , cheap ... pick two

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
bluebug32 said:
how's the odds n endos guy in terms of prices? I don't know much about wheelsets and pricing. I know we have a local builder at my LBS. Not sure what he charges
From Universal Cycles:
Mavic XC717 Rims(silver) = $65 x2 = $130
WTB Race Disc Lite hubs = $80(f) + $154(r) = $234
Spokes(double butted) $0.59(sil) to $.0.99(bla) each x 64 = $38 to $64

Total = $402 to $428 for parts

Odds and Endos = $384/pair

His prices are good.

J

JRB

Reactor said:
That's the stone cold truth. I had some sun 0 degree XC rims once upon a time, and you practically needed a crowbar to the the bead over the edge of the rim, combine that with Hutchenson Pythons and you've got hours of entertainment.
Never had one problem with that combo. I rode them for a couple of thousand miles even.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wumpus said:
That might be a good idea after talking to a buddy about two of his rear rims imploding.*

*OK he only ripped some spokes out of the rims but mavic wouldn't cover it, and the local trails are pretty smooth.

Trainwreck stuck the back wheel of his bike in the rear wheel whell of his truck....then decided he needed to back up, rolled back untill he heard a popping sound. Was able to retrue his wheel and go on the ride. They replaces the spoke(s), I believe for nothing. He had Crossmax XL. I know several people with Crossmax's and the only problem I've heard of is one ruined freehub bearing from the 24 hours of the old pueblo mudfest, hurricane, and icestorm. Generally Mavic products are pretty solid, if not always the state of the art they'd have you believe.

I don't know, maybe your buddy caught some one at mavic before they had their morning coffee? Or the bike shop he delt with was lazy? Or he just had some bad luck. In the same vein, I hear of all types of problems with Beyondbikes.com, but they have never done wrong by me, they've even bent over backwards, and gave me a custom build on my Chrisking/mavic rims, at the stock prebuilt price. They made a minor billing mistake once but fixed it in about 10 seconds when I talked to them.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wumpus said:
I assume you are talking about the shimano hubs. The hubs come with skewers so I'm pretty sure it is part of the listed weight unlike most hubs.

In all fairness you are probably right, I've never seen a shimano hub that didn't have shimano skewers, jenson was just too lazy to put it in the product description. A set of skewers are about 100 grams, give or take a little.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
robdamanii said:
I think Beth will get the Crosslands for our anniversary (one wheel per year), and I'm still TBD.

Crosslands are pretty decent wheels, they spin well, work on disk and rim brakes and are pretty strong. I think you'll be happy with the choice.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
Reactor said:
Crosslands are pretty decent wheels, they spin well, work on disk and rim brakes and are pretty strong. I think you'll be happy with the choice.

we looked at theese in Rob's LBS yesterday and they look pretty decent and of course the silver will look hot on my frame too!

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
bluebug32 said:
we looked at theese in Rob's LBS yesterday and they look pretty decent and of course the silver will look hot on my frame too!

Cool. I think you'll be happy with them, and you'll have the option of easily going tubless if you want. I recommend UST tires and Stan's, but I live in the lans of cactus and goat head thorns to take it with a grain of salt.