Quantcast

New Manitou Dorado?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Think of it this way. It is the Cane Creek DB of the Forks out there right now.
Ahem.....BULLSH!T

Ridden it. Far, far from an Ohlins level damper. Unless you have a custom Ohlins cartridge and not the stock one that feels mediocre.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Ahem.....BULLSH!T

Ridden it. Far, far from an Ohlins level damper. Unless you have a custom Ohlins cartridge and not the stock one that feels mediocre.
while I'm not necessarily a fan of useless gibbering about how incredibly amazing a brand new product is and how it blows everything else out of the water (heard the same thing about the 40, and the boxxer, and the 40 the years before that)...

Give it a rest dude. We're aware you have a big boner for cane creek. Its ok. They make good dampers/shocks. I have one. Thats fantastic, we don't need to hear about how you're a princess in love with a knight in shining armor.

Likewise, we know you absolutely despise manitou.

Now get over it.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sigh... forgot this was an American forum. Hold on whilst I go get some sock puppets....
well said. It used to bother me alot. Then I realized everybody else in the world says "forks." Its kind of like the metric system. I still don't use it for everything, but I've moved on from saying "convert it to lbs!"

Anyway, back OT about whatever this thread is about.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
while I'm not necessarily a fan of useless gibbering about how incredibly amazing a brand new product is and how it blows everything else out of the water (heard the same thing about the 40, and the boxxer, and the 40 the years before that)...

Give it a rest dude. We're aware you have a big boner for cane creek. Its ok. They make good dampers/shocks. I have one. Thats fantastic, we don't need to hear about how you're a princess in love with a knight in shining armor.

Likewise, we know you absolutely despise manitou.

Now get over it.
Haha believe me, I want that Dorado to be a good fork. I got on it kinda hoping it was going to be REALLY that good and was going to set a new standard for forks among the big 4. Pretty disappointing, especially given the price.

And yes, I do have a hard-on for the Ohlins stuff, both MTB and moto. Just saying let's compare apples to apples here...

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
You dont think the cost of the 4 rebuilds is built into the purchase price?

sexy....sexy fork, but it seems like they are releasing a high maintenance fork and charging the rider to keep it going, rather than releasing a reliable product that doesn't need constant rebuilding.

Having time off the bike every 6 months while your fork gets sent away sounds like a **** idea.
is it really gonna kill you to take a few days off the bike? if you over night it the will match your shipping and over night it back. so total 3 days maybe?

hell every 6 months for a rebuild on a RACE FORK is actually pretty darn good. I know people that rebuild their boxxers 2-3 times a month. now does tha seem like a high quility fork?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Damn, they should just increase the price a bit and give you a mechanic with the fork. If the fork requires rebuilds that frequently or can't be worked on by anyone, it's engineered like crap.
6 month service intervals are too short? ahahahahahahahaha.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
can't really comment on the fork until there's hard, user-based evidence from unsponsored riders, but I HATE sending **** out for repair, whether it's free or cheap or whatever, as the manufacturer ALWAYS takes their time, and your quoted return time is generally 1/3 of the time it will actually take. Plus, doesn't manitou have a reputation for bad CS? I know the company has restructured, but that would still be a consideration for me.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
can't really comment on the fork until there's hard, user-based evidence from unsponsored riders, but I HATE sending **** out for repair, whether it's free or cheap or whatever, as the manufacturer ALWAYS takes their time, and your quoted return time is generally 1/3 of the time it will actually take. Plus, doesn't manitou have a reputation for bad CS? I know the company has restructured, but that would still be a consideration for me.
Look the reality is that pretty well all forks are user-serviceable to some degree (Fox TALAS stuff being the only exception I can think of, but even then you can do seals/damper at home). Who really cares? You can service it yourself (unless it requires special tools, which from that 20min vid I watched, I doubt it does) if you don't want to send it to Manitou.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ahem.....BULLSH!T

I think you missed the boat on this one. He wasn't saying that it is a CC/ohlins quality shock. His point was more that it raises the bar for top of the line suspension forks, same way the CCDB did for rear shocks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
6 month service intervals are too short? ahahahahahahahaha.
No not "service", but "rebuild", not too short, just that you have to get it rebuilt every 6 mo (can't just change the oil?) and you have to send it in. That's what's rediculous. Reminds me of how my manitou stuff would just "fall apart" after a good hard season of use. Instead of changing the engineering/materials, they are just changing the support plan.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Plus, doesn't manitou have a reputation for bad CS?
It depends. They knew the Nixon IT was crap and they switched out a few forks for us with no questions, but that's because they had em in stock. When we had to get misc parts, it was always a hassle. They'd always make up stories about when they'd be available and then never deliver on their promise. There were so many fork lines that having the parts seems to be a big issue with manitou. I wouldn't expect "parts" for their 09 forks until '10, or sometime later based on experience. There were other issues we had trying to get support for their products, it's like their tech department doesn't know what's going on half the time. Probably because of the hundreds of iterations of SPV they've tried over the last couple years.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Huh. I've had nothing but steller service from manitou. Shannon knows his sh1t, and they've gone above and beyond a number of times on stuff the didn't have to for me. They've sent me plenty of service parts FOC, with fast shipping. In my experience they're one of the better bicycle companies I've dealt with, on par with Cane Creek. My only problem with them is that if you need small parts and have to buy them (not on warranty) they have a 50 dollar minimum, which sucks balls. The warranty/tech dept will give them to you for free, but sales requires a 50 dollar purchase, which is totally absurd.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I love how manitou wants to take care of the people riding their forks and rebuild them after 6 months of use. instead of them just saying screw you your not getting any maintenance... I don't know why you guys are hateing so much, just because they want to rebuild the fork and go over it for you is that such a problem? is that bad customer service?

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
although i agree with that ^ i think that the problem is (from my understanding) the product wont make it much further than 6 months. Unlike ANY fork ive gotton. i never rebuild for the sake of rebuilding-ill oil change-but why bother. "if it works dont fix it"
I like their idea and positive step but a fork that lasts 6 months doesnt seem nice to me

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
See, I think you're missing the point. My point is not that it's not great customer service...it is, really- but that the cost of the fork is so much higher than anything else, and the history of Manitou forks, make me believe that it should either cost less or not need servicing at such a frequent interval. In my opinion, the service should be included into the price...which suggests that it should come in cheaper. In other words, if you figure it costs $100-120 to have another company rebuild your boxxer or 40, manitou should be doing it for free. You don't need to agree with me; if you'd like to go out and buy a fork praised by only sponsored riders built by a company with a rep for producing poorly thought out/tested forks, which costs significantly more than what their competitors are charging...then that's your opinion.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Look the reality is that pretty well all forks are user-serviceable to some degree (Fox TALAS stuff being the only exception I can think of, but even then you can do seals/damper at home). Who really cares? You can service it yourself (unless it requires special tools, which from that 20min vid I watched, I doubt it does) if you don't want to send it to Manitou.
Not arguing with you, but you are aware that Manitou made a special tool for nearly every fork they build! My LBS has a stack of Manitou tools (pricey to buy) that were obsolete the next model year. :disgust1: Hope they changed it. Remember those first run of Dorados: when you want to change the spring stack or work on the TPC you needed a 4 pin "key". Later they switched so you could use a socket.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the 6th month rebuild may also be for preventative maintenance, or maybe its part of their R&D process? They might wanna keep an eye on what's going on inside the forks out in the real world so they can improve an issues that may arise over time.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I was going to say, wasn't Manitou's CS supposed to be pretty awesome because they were having so many previous problems?

I would not be stoked on having to send my fork in every 6 months. I'd rather rebuild it myself every month like I do with my current gear.

HBGCS

Chimp
Jul 18, 2008
Ok, not to get to caught up to much in this but here is a few sponsored rider quotes. I understand these guys/girls ride for Manitou but here is a little feedback direct with no edits.

Dave

1."I have now been on the Manitou Dorado for just over 3 days of riding and can say it’s by far the best Downhill Race Fork I have been ridden. I now know how the Top Factory Pro’s are able to go so fast and hold on to their bikes. Up until now those Pros have had advantages in the Suspension World that a lot of racers could never have, like the Fox 40RC4 and the Boxxer BlackBox WC forks. The new Manitou Dorado is the fork that anyone can own that will give that Racer the same advantage.

I have owned and Raced on a lot of DH Race Forks in my time, such as Rock Shox’s Boxxers, Fox’s 40RC2s, Foes F1s, and Marzocchi’s 888 and the Shiver. I have also owned 2 of Manitou’s older version of the Dorado. Manitou has stepped up to the Top Level Race World with the New 2009 Dorado. It out performs every Fork I have tried in over 12+ years of racing. The Fork has giving me more confidence in letting go of the brakes because it soaks up so much that my past forks didn’t.
I mean that I don’t feel the hard hits as much as I did in the past.
I don’t get as tiered out as fast and no Fore Arm Pump!!!!!! One thing I could never get dialed in right on my previous DH Forks was getting the Small Bump absorption where I wanted it to be along with the High Speed Big Hit absorption dialed in as well. The New Dorado lets me tune both in the way I want and it works!!!!! Another thing that stands out is the Air Chamber design over the old Spring design.
I like the ability to change up Air Pressures to help dial in the Fork for different race courses. Every Racer out there likes the simplicity to change up settings to match the Race courses their racing that weekend. With its light weight design, yet super strong and stiff you can save a lot on you race build and not lose out on performance. All in all I can say it’s the best Race Fork out there to date!!!"
2. "The Dorado has given me the confidence to brake later and go harder into corners than any other fork I have ridden."
3. "The latest evolution of the dorado fork that I've been testing in the off season is one of the best turning forks I've used and the damping curve can be set for any type of downhill course thanks to its high and low speed compression damping. It is also one of the lightest forks I've ever had. The fork felt really comfortable and really precise. It goes perfectly with the new M6, the bike feels like on a rail."
4."-Tracks really nice through all terrain. I really noticed a difference in braking bump corners.
-Super light
-Chicks dig it
-The carbon legs take away all the vibrations and give it the same feel as riding a carbon frame
-The adjustability is really easy after the first time
-The air makes it real progressive on big hits and supple through the small ones
-Surprisingly durable
-Service intervals are really long
-Always ready to ride"
5. "The hydraulic bottom out system engages seamlessly and with enough force to handle any size hit. The harder you push it, the better it works.
Craftsmanship is impeccable. From the hex lock thru axle to the integrated stem mount, the fork is crafted like fine jewelry (or at least what I think fine jewelry might be like). External adjustment knobs slip into place with positive engagement and an audible “ca chunk.”"
6. "a) Fork tracks really well in steep off camber situations
b) Fork set up right ramps up perfect in the turns
c) Handles high speed superb - It has precision steering in the roughs for sure!
d) Very user friendly....easy for consumer to install and set up.
e) Has no front to back flex at all
f) Best looking **** I ever did see!
g) Latest upgrades made the forks adjustments very sensitive, and gave it a HUGE range of adjustment, this is my favorite characteristic.
h) Fantastic "Ride Height""

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
-Chicks dig it....
Now, THAT is a reason to spend the money. ;)

Can you comment on the use of special tools and why they have to be serviced in the factory every 6 months?

Another question: what about those frame bumpers that come with the Dorado? They look to be the same as on the X-Vert and old Dorados and they didn't prevent denting frame tubes back then. Why not design something that works and does this fork justice?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Not arguing with you, but you are aware that Manitou made a special tool for nearly every fork they build! My LBS has a stack of Manitou tools (pricey to buy) that were obsolete the next model year. :disgust1: Hope they changed it. Remember those first run of Dorados: when you want to change the spring stack or work on the TPC you needed a 4 pin "key". Later they switched so you could use a socket.
Fair enough, I never worked on any of the original Dorados, but the 4 Manitou forks I currently own (3 shermans and a Minute) don't require anything special at all.

Kingswood

Chimp
Feb 27, 2005
is it really gonna kill you to take a few days off the bike? if you over night it the will match your shipping and over night it back. so total 3 days maybe?
Sorry man, should have said I am in Australia, I would be extremely surprised if we could get it done that quick.

And yes, It would literally kill me to have time off my bike.

hell every 6 months for a rebuild on a RACE FORK is actually pretty darn good. I know people that rebuild their boxxers 2-3 times a month. now does tha seem like a high quility fork?
Are they sending there boxxers away 2-3 times a month? or doing it themselves?
I know it is possible for me to rebuild my 40 here at home, worste case scenario I drop it at the bike shop in the morning and pick it up that afternoon.
My issue is with taking it off the bike and sending it away rather than doing it yourself/locally.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Plus, doesn't manitou have a reputation for bad CS?
Nah, Manitou always had awesome customer service which was their way of trying to compensate for ****e products. Super fast and friendly and lax about warranty/repair.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Sorry man, should have said I am in Australia, I would be extremely surprised if we could get it done that quick.

And yes, It would literally kill me to have time off my bike.

Are they sending there boxxers away 2-3 times a month? or doing it themselves?
I know it is possible for me to rebuild my 40 here at home, worste case scenario I drop it at the bike shop in the morning and pick it up that afternoon.
My issue is with taking it off the bike and sending it away rather than doing it yourself/locally.
a) Dirt Works usually offer a 48hr turnaround from when they receive the fork/shock, they are the Aussie Manitou distributor
b) Where does it say that you can't work on it yourself?
c) Why is anyone even discussing this stuff? It's a $4400au fork, who the hell would actually buy such a stupid thing anyway?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I feel like I should quote myself on saying "manitou's marketing is genius." They took a failing brand that nobody gave a hoot about, and are bringing it around. Heres how:

Step 1: Take forever and a half to release a product
Step 2: Generate a ton of hype
Step 3: Get a bunch of sponsored riders who have to justify spending $12897897 for a new fork. They will rave about how incredibly amaziner it is then everything else ever.
Step 4: Generate even more hype. Explain to people that "if they want the best, they'll have to pay for it"
Step 5: Release a ridiculously way cheaper version that works just as well and sell mass quantities.

good work manitou!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
So when they say it will 'feel' different are they talking about the stiffness of aluminum compared to carbon fiber or different internals?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
So when they say it will 'feel' different are they talking about the stiffness of aluminum compared to carbon fiber or different internals?
The aluminum will be a little less stiff, but if I had to guess, the budget model will shed some of the features of the higher end damper... maybe the hydraulic anti-bottom?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
The aluminum will be a little less stiff, but if I had to guess, the budget model will shed some of the features of the higher end damper... maybe the hydraulic anti-bottom?
from what i recall it will have everything the current dorado has minus the carbon legs. but dont qoute me on that.

dennis

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
well said. It used to bother me alot. Then I realized everybody else in the world says "forks." Its kind of like the metric system. I still don't use it for everything, but I've moved on from saying "convert it to lbs!"

Anyway, back OT about whatever this thread is about.
"everyone else in the world" do not say 'forks'.

That is all.

Last edited: