Quantcast

New Trek Session 88 DH and FR version

Mar 1, 2008
Yeah, but it's pictures of a secksey bike, so I think we can forgive a little repost of Session pics. Stop whining and enjoy the eye candy.
:nopity:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Just got mine. Bontrager parts are nice but not my cup of tea. First thing to go is the stem, I will run the Sunline integrated stem for the 40 direct mount. Sunline bars. grips pedals. It comes with Sram as well and I am gonna run the Saint group-shifter, derailleur, brakes. I will swap the tires for maxxis and the seat for something more roadie-Arione or the Trek Inform RXL. Should be pretty dope, first non cannondale in 6 years.

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
Just got mine. Bontrager parts are nice but not my cup of tea. First thing to go is the stem, I will run the Sunline integrated stem for the 40 direct mount. Sunline bars. grips pedals. It comes with Sram as well and I am gonna run the Saint group-shifter, derailleur, brakes. I will swap the tires for maxxis and the seat for something more roadie-Arione or the Trek Inform RXL. Should be pretty dope, first non cannondale in 6 years.
Hey Heath, what a coincidence...after buying my Judge from you, I'm also getting a Session. Keeping my Cannondales but first big change in a while.

Cheers!

ridedewest

Chimp
Dec 14, 2008
I'm ordering the 88 frameset as soon as they are released, so I'm trying to figure out what ISCG mounts it has. I looked in all of our shop material and saw nothing. Finally spoke to tech guy at Trek and after digging for a while said it's the ISCG.

Can anyone confirm this? Why would they run a ISCG mount that isn't supposed to be run with a taco. If they are stocking the bike with the taco then I sure hope it will be warranty if the ISCG mounts snap.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Can anyone confirm this? Why would they run a ISCG mount that isn't supposed to be run with a taco. If they are stocking the bike with the taco then I sure hope it will be warranty if the ISCG mounts snap.

It is ISCG not ISCG05. It has to this way for the full floater design of the frame.

Wilson

Chimp
Feb 17, 2007
As soon as I receive mine I'm planning on switching the DHX for a Vivid and I was wondering wich "tune" Vivid I should get for the Session. I know there is like three different tuned vivid available up there but what's the big difference between them?

When I'm ordering one should I mention wich one I need or do some distributors only stock "A tune" for exemple ?!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The standard shock is tuned for the suspension rate. Your nuts to change it.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I am not sure that the production bikes got the custom tuned shocks.
Are you joking ? If not you must be from a different planet then I guess or been hiding under a rock for the last year or so.

This is pretty much in the top 3 reasons why this bike is a mile a ahead of any other stock bikes.I would definitely keep the DHX unless if he's planning on having the Vivid PUSH.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Are you joking ? If not you must be from a different planet then I guess or been hiding under a rock for the last year or so.

This is pretty much in the top 3 reasons why this bike is a mile a ahead of any other stock bikes.I would definitely keep the DHX unless if he's planning on having the Vivid PUSH.
I'm pretty sure the dude isn't living under a rock. Its the first I've heard that, but he sees more riders and rides with more pro's then "your average Joe" - whether or not its entirely true, he's probably not just shooting the sh!t.

My guess is fox tweaked the damper slightly for trek, trek slapped custom on the shock label, and wham, tools buy it because "its custom." I would guess any number of shocks could feel pretty darn good with that bike.

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
...and for the weights:

Frame (large): 3351g including mounting bolts
Rear axle: 71g
Spring and 500# shock: 925g including mounting hardware (spring 473g as per Sicklines; shock 452g)
Total: 4347g = 9.58lbs

All weights confirmed on a gram scale.

guitarhero

Chimp
Nov 1, 2005
Scotland
I'm far from an expert on the subject of suspension, and i love the feel of the DHX on my session 88. However i find it odd that so much has been made of the "custom" tuning and the R&D etc. but the recommended spring rates for rider weight are so far off.
The 450lb spring suggested was way too stiff, and others seem to be finding the same.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Yeah all that testing and the spring rate recommendations are total crap, oops

and the fact that all the world cup race testing was done with a vivid and a boxxer mounted... oops again

sweet... trek took a shock with crap external adjusters and modified it internaly so that it would work for their specific bike. i would not be suprised if it felt great compared to a stock dhx.

personally though, i think the dhx is a poor shock for pure dh racing (flame away)

having ridden them in the past and now riding a vivid for the past year i would never go back, "custom" or not.

no doubt in my mind that between the A, B, C tunes offered on the vivid, exernal LSC that actually works (big fail for the dhx on this one) and separate HSR/LSR adjustments that it would not blow away that "custom" dhx.

**edit: after reading the whole pinkbike article i am even more convinced a vivid would be great. a huge focus of that article and the custom tuning was to find a way to keep the rebound fast enough at the ending stroke while maintaining a slower low speed rebound for control and chasis stability... all something that you can adjust further to track and riding style on a vivid.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I'm far from an expert on the subject of suspension, and i love the feel of the DHX on my session 88. However i find it odd that so much has been made of the "custom" tuning and the R&D etc. but the recommended spring rates for rider weight are so far off.
The 450lb spring suggested was way too stiff, and others seem to be finding the same.

one involves marketing (talking about tuning), the other execution (actually tuning it). i'm a huge fan of that bike, and up until a few days ago was going to be riding one in '09, but i think Trek's marketing campaign blows the 'custom' aspect way out of proportion. just read what they say about the dhx and how revolutionary it is. sure it's a good shock, but it's hardly at the head of the class.

gotta wonder if the need for the 'dual stage' compression circuit was a band-aid fix for the actual suspension design (or the characteristics of the dhx). it' easier to tweak a shim stack than an entire frame. not that this is bad if they got the feel they were looking for, but if it's the case they have done a marvelous job converting it into a huge selling point.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Nico Vink rides here a lot every year.

in theory......

Have you all red this:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/trek-session-88-details-2008.html

Trek DHX multi-stage custom tuning well explained.
They tuned shocks in the developmental stage of the bike, I was saying that I don't think the custom tuned shocks ever made it on to the bikes due to production timelines, etc. That article is good hype but are they still saying that the bike has custom tuned rear shock or is that left over from their intentions before the bike was produced?

That would be a pretty quick turnaround on Fox's part.

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I know for a fact the production internals on the 88's DHX are modified.

nugget

Monkey
Jul 4, 2006
somewhere near a town
Ok so this is going to sound weird,

I was loving my DHX on the Trek but due to unforseen reasons, I had to service my "session tuned" DHX at the local fox service centre. Now that its back. I cannot get it to feel the same. Here it goes,

Using the same settings, the shock has too much compression damping as well as rebound damping.

I can only guess the service centre used the wrong oil weight but according to them the used the same 10wt oil.

Now does anyone know if trek ships it with a different weight oil?

Please help.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
niiiiiice :)
So, I hope I will see you on that bike in L2A or Alpe d'Huez this summer ;)

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
So how does it peform with the BOS Fork and shock, in comparison to sasy the stock DHX 5.0 "Gravity Tune" and 40RC2.

mine seems great with the stock suspension, but id love to hear how they peform with different gear on board.

thats my babay!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hi guys,
I wonder how Trek solved integration of thru axle with their split-pivot. I've been trying to google some detailed pictures of disassembled split-pivot on Session 88 but without success. Even on the official Session88 web page I couldn't find no details on it there.
Have you had it disassembled ? Is there some inner axle passing through ABPs and thru-axle from the left side to the right-side? Or would one of you be so kind, take the rear wheel off and take photos of rear dropouts ? What dimensions of the bearings at seat stays are used?

At this picture, it looks like there is some 10mm threaded axle passing through ABP pivot on drive side.

However, at this picture I see 2 nuts on the leftside ABP...

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
There is one thing i don't understand about this frame (and the split/active breaking pivot in general) and that's the placement of the rear mech. Why is it not on the seat stays, and on the chainstays?

It could reduce the sound and the chain extention quite a bit :clue:

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
The axle goes through two inserts that are screwed into the frame (internally threaded on the drive side). The inner face of the inserts contacts the bearing that is mounted in the chainstay section. The axle preloads the whole assembly.

With regard to the mech hanger I don't see how placement on the seatstay would help.
If it was mounted on the seatstay the angle between the rear mech and the chainstay would reduce under compression making contact more likely. If that's what your getting at ?

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
nicest looking one posted yet,

I've been watching this thread closely for a while now. I ordered a session 88 fr about 5 weeks ago....and it finally arrived last week! The bonus was picking it up this week was that I benifited from the vat reduction - better in my pocket!!

Having read the press and other peoples opinion (largely based on what they had read) i was torn between a med and large. I'm 6'2" and opted for a medium.....and it's perfect! I have no doubt that a large would have been way too big.

I've been served well by a Trek Remedy 6 for the past 18 months so, although it doesn't have the name or appeal of other brands, i was happy with the performance of most bontrager kit so was happy to give most of what was on the 88 a go. I've put my trusty DX spd's on instead of those flippers trek are passing off as pedals, swapped the grips for my preferred funn jobbies and those big earl tyres didn't even come out the box - predictably Minion FR and High Roller went on immediately!!

Big shout out to Alpine Bikes in Glasgow for getting me the bike so quickly - everywhere else was quoting Feb!!

Few pics

...and my Trusty Remedy that'll go into semi retirement and get some much needed tlc!

Roll on the weekend!!!!!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
The axle goes through two inserts that are screwed into the frame (internally threaded on the drive side). The inner face of the inserts contacts the bearing that is mounted in the chainstay section. The axle preloads the whole assembly.
So, basically they used the same solution as with Fuel EX/Remedy with one small difference: dropouts (on the driveside in one piece with derailure hanger) as one of the "inserts" have 12mm hole drilled for the 12mm thru axle? If there is 12mm axle screwed into some insert which serves as an axle for bearing then bearing inner diameter must be cca 15mm which goes into cca 32mm of outer diamter... This surprised me a bit but after I sketched it up approximately it might be true.

The ABP in Fuel EX in exploded view ...

And my estimation of bearing outer diameter in attachment: Red line should be 12mm of axle diameter.

djivotno

Monkey
Oct 3, 2008
With regard to the mech hanger I don't see how placement on the seatstay would help.
If it was mounted on the seatstay the angle between the rear mech and the chainstay would reduce under compression making contact more likely. If that's what your getting at ?
If it's set properly it won't hit, and it will provide a much more refined and quiet ride. It will reduce the chain slap and will minimize the chance of chain issues with the guide.

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
So, basically they used the same solution as with Fuel EX/Remedy with one small difference: dropouts (on the driveside in one piece with derailure hanger) as one of the "inserts" have 12mm hole drilled for the 12mm thru axle? If there is 12mm axle screwed into some insert which serves as an axle for bearing then bearing inner diameter must be cca 15mm which goes into cca 32mm of outer diamter... This surprised me a bit but after I sketched it up approximately it might be true.
I finally found Session 88 rear axle. Now I understand how they've made it.