Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
My Moose count on the trails this summer is over 40, with one bull in rut chasing me full speed down Phillip’s Canyon, I was going well over 20.
They are doing quite well, from what I can tell.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My Moose count on the trails this summer is over 40, with one bull in rut chasing me full speed down Phillip’s Canyon, I was going well over 20.
They are doing quite well, from what I can tell.
I ran into Moose Fight Club a few rides ago, more than 20 in a small area just a few hundred feet square, fighting all over the place. The flighting is a little more boring than it looks like on Animal Planet, but fighting nonetheless.

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
I'll screw with alot of animals including sharks...chased a mt lion into bushes to get a pic...was in water and had a huge white go by my oldest and me while doing and spear fishing..wanted to shoot it but that carries a fee and potential jail time...

A MOOSE... HELL NO......I will not mess with one....

Glad your brakes worked. They are mean as hell and will stomp you out for no reason
An old diver at our lab (may he rest in peace) shot at a shark that was circling him apparently because he had a bunch of dead fish that he had speared while waiting for his dive buddy, a marine biologist, to finish work. He was aiming for the gills but missed and hit the torso instead. He said his spear just bounced off and luckily the shark swam away. This was many decades ago in what used to be a more remote area and probably before sharks were heavily fished.

Probably a bad idea to shoot a huge white shark eh?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Probably a bad idea to shoot a huge white shark d. He said his spear just bounced off and luckily the shark swam away. This was many decades ago in what used to be a more remote area and probably before sharks were heavily fished.

Probably a bad idea to shoot a huge white shark eh?
Love guys like your old guy, they are usually salty and full of stories. As well as tips and experience...been diving since 87 and those kind of guys odd or not have always been a gift to chat with...
I run 53" 4 heavy pull bands and tips honed....when I shoot smaller I use 1 to 2 bigger fish longer shot 10 to 15 foot like kelp beads and sheep head etc 3 band and if it's big I'll pull all 4 and it will split a small log or bury into a tree...(tried to get one out and had to trash it)...
Dad (rest his soul) used to have a beast of a gun it would put a spear through the wooden garage door (hit moms grill and radiator)....out of water it had a nasty kick even long railed....

Yeah I bring a gun to a gun fight for a reason...would it kill the taxman, probably not unless it was gills....or head shot on side...but it would bury it self into it....

Some of my sling and sting sticks, my big boy isn't there or is my long shot..and of course Kai my youngest back then being goofy...
Screenshot_20211108-063140_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20211108-063112_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:

Bike078

Monkey
Jan 11, 2018
Love guys like your old guy, they are usually salty and full of stories. As well as tips and experience...been diving since 87 and those kind of guys odd or not have always been a gift to chat with...
I run 53" 4 heavy pull bands and tips honed....when I shoot smaller I use 1 to 2 bigger fish longer shot 10 to 15 foot like kelp beads and sheep head etc 3 band and if it's big I'll pull all 4 and it will split a small log or bury into a tree...(tried to get one out and had to trash it)...
Dad (rest his soul) used to have a beast of a gun it would put a spear through the wooden garage door (hit moms grill and radiator)....out of water it had a nasty kick even long railed....

Yeah I bring a gun to a gun fight for a reason...would it kill the taxman, probably not unless it was gills....or head shot on side...but it would bury it self into it....

Some of my sling and sting sticks, my big boy isn't there or is my long shot..and of course Kai my youngest back then being goofy...
View attachment 167155View attachment 167156
Dude, the old guy was an absolute legend and I loved listening to his stories from back in the day when they would go out on small boats as assistants to marine biologists and would only bring rice, salt and other spices because there was plenty of fish to catch and eat. They would come home with a lot of bulad (dried salted fish). They would tag sea turtles too and there were still a lot of sharks to see back then (and get chased by if you were spear fishing).

One legend who is now in his sixties used to be a muro ami fisher (see description below) when he was younger and could free dive to about 175 feet with no fins and using home-made goggles. Moves like a seal underwater and I used to wonder if the guy has gills.

I tried catching fish samples with small spears made from sharpened umbrella ribs but had very little success. I just left the spearing to the real fisherman after that haha.

* from www.panda.org: In 1986, the Department of Agriculture banned muro-ami in Philippine waters because of the tremendous damage it causes to coral reefs. Muro-ami involves skin-divers diving to often dangerous depths to pound the easily broken corals with rocks or pipes to scare fish into a large waiting net.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Dude, the old guy was an absolute legend and I loved listening to his stories from back in the day when they would go out on small boats as assistants to marine biologists and would only bring rice, salt and other spices because there was plenty of fish to catch and eat. They would come home with a lot of bulad (dried salted fish). They would tag sea turtles too and there were still a lot of sharks to see back then (and get chased by if you were spear fishing).

One legend who is now in his sixties used to be a muro ami fisher (see description below) when he was younger and could free dive to about 175 feet with no fins and using home-made goggles. Moves like a seal underwater and I used to wonder if the guy has gills.

I tried catching fish samples with small spears made from sharpened umbrella ribs but had very little success. I just left the spearing to the real fisherman after that haha.

* from www.panda.org: In 1986, the Department of Agriculture banned muro-ami in Philippine waters because of the tremendous damage it causes to coral reefs. Muro-ami involves skin-divers diving to often dangerous depths to pound the easily broken corals with rocks or pipes to scare fish into a large waiting net.
Yeah I watched that one freediver pass out at Maldives trying to set a world record last year.

Those guys at free dive to depth or a whole new breed of insane

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They said they had just recently "learned the hard way" that you don't throw snowballs at moose. WTF?

People think they are like deer a
WTF indeed. Mouse or not, why would you throw a snowball at an animal??

Even a deer isn't something I'd want to mess with.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Got a 2" hidden Prius hitch from a local guy company no longer makes em and was only one who made 2" for Prius... eco hitch by torklift.

Now I can share racks between Tacoma and Prius...plus I'm not a huge fan of 1.25" hitch....

Snagged a T2 like new from a guy and now can carry 4 bikes or 2 on back and snowboards, kayaks, paddle boards or cargo container on top ....
20211108_111825.jpg
20211108_111806.jpg
20211108_111754.jpg
20211108_111743.jpg
20211108_111651.jpg

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, my son is now a Medium on bikes. So now I get to build up a new bike right in the middle of my quiver, and ‘give’ it to him. But he only rides like 5 times a year…you see where I am going with this?
“His” bike is gonna rock.
Likely will be a Kona Process 134 or 153

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I was running the previous bike's X2 brakes up front with 203/180 rotors and that was fine (but not color coordinated!). My ultimate plan though is to remove all Shimano brakes from my inventory as they fail or as I run out of pads, so those brakes get moved over to the race bike. The E4s on this bike aren't intended for as much speed and abuse as I can throw at my Megatrail. We did a nice 2000' drop yesterday, alternating between new snow and mud, but there's no way you'd ride snow on 45% grades like I do on the GG and I wouldn't push this bike that hard in the summer either. View attachment 167118
That fact you have teh pogies on (you know, the things that keep your hands warm) makes it look freaking cold. But the snow looks grippy.

I'd hit that :)

Oh and I heart brakes. I'm a Shimano guy though. I'm sure I'm gunna die.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
That fact you have teh pogies on (you know, the things that keep your hands warm) makes it look freaking cold. But the snow looks grippy.

I'd hit that :)

Oh and I heart brakes. I'm a Shimano guy though. I'm sure I'm gunna die.
I was a Shimano guy. I just got used to replacing them every year or two. You can't pay me to run the current Gen brakes.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Fresh front triangle day! I also made her a matching headset dust and top cap too. I need to ream the seat tube for the dropper and face and chase the bb then it’s finger crossing time. Amateur welder and engineering trust experiments up next.

EA94A811-4EE8-47B9-9E59-D01566C0353E.jpeg

B0860A7E-C6D9-477B-B6AA-84BB5BAEA327.jpeg

903A24A1-B941-4EAC-903D-2DE160BEA46D.jpeg

I think I’ll call this one Shedlove

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Fresh front triangle day! I also made her a matching headset dust and top cap too. I need to ream the seat tube for the dropper and face and chase the bb then it’s finger crossing time. Amateur welder and engineering trust experiments up next.

View attachment 167461

View attachment 167463

View attachment 167462

I think I’ll call this one Shedlove
Looks badass can't wait to hear feedback..
That's badass if you get a tube bender you can eliminate that junction on bottom increasing over all strength of the lower. (I know you probably thought of that and. It's not easy to get a bender or cheap)...

Jim at jmr tools in paseo Robles CA has bad ass benders I've used jd square for the Greater part of 30 years. I tried jmr and will be using that from here on. Bit cheaper than jd2.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Looks badass can't wait to hear feedback..
That's badass if you get a tube bender you can eliminate that junction on bottom increasing over all strength of the lower. (I know you probably thought of that and. It's not easy to get a bender or cheap)...

Jim at jmr tools in paseo Robles CA has bad ass benders I've used jd square for the Greater part of 30 years. I tried jmr and will be using that from here on. Bit cheaper than jd2.
I was just thinking about a tubing bender….

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
What tubing are you using @buckoW ? In a former job I did a fair bit of stainless work in the food and beverage industry including pressure welding for steam and hydraulics. Stainless "pulls" a lot which makes alignment tricky if you don't tack it around the seam prior to the completion, although I'm guess a jig would help a bit it might spring when it is removed. You might also find it worthwhile to purge weld if you can - you will get a better interior weld surface with less breakthrough for stress risers.

If you're using off-the-shelf tubing, I wonder if a pre-fabricated and supplied bend, or even an stock elbow could be used to remove the lobsterback on the down tube.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
@bullcrew - Thanks for the tip on the jmr benders. Those look sweet!
@Nick - it’s from Bike Fab Supply.
@toodles - It is straight gauge cromo tubing .9mm thick. Ok, thanks. I’ll try some of that. The back purge seems like it could help! I did make a jig for tacking but who knows if it’s doing it’s purpose. I’m kinda winging it here and using what I find easily. I should make a nicer jig because I think I like this. A buddy recently bought a Cobra Framebuilding tubing bender but I kinda wanted to work through this on my own without any outside help. I am planning on bending a bunch of tubes at my buddy’s place.
This is the “frame jig” I made, haha. Like the Boxxer crown. I have low expectations for straightness but the geo is surprisingly spot on! I did a lot of tacks all over the place before welding anything.

52ED0FC2-82E0-48E6-8971-8B349F06CD3F.jpeg

Pffft, just get a hydro-forming setup for your garage.
We make plenty of curvy hydro formed stuff at work. This is something different. Gussets n beer? I would like to build a snowboard press though.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Got a 2" hidden Prius hitch from a local guy company no longer makes em and was only one who made 2" for Prius... eco hitch by torklift.

Now I can share racks between Tacoma and Prius...plus I'm not a huge fan of 1.25" hitch....

Snagged a T2 like new from a guy and now can carry 4 bikes or 2 on back and snowboards, kayaks, paddle boards or cargo container on top ....View attachment 167162View attachment 167163View attachment 167164View attachment 167165View attachment 167166
Damn dude @Jm_ is gonna be bummed you managed to only do it in two pics

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Looks good buckoW!

I'm the new marketing manager for Intense Cycles and we like the cut of your jig! (get it? sailing reference but welding?)

Please check your DMs, we'd love to have you as part of our brand! We think you'd fit right into our new artisan (aluminum) line!
If it is crooked…. I’m hoping it turns better to the right. Then it would compliment my weak side.
I had the opportunity to measure my frame last night on an alignment table with all the precision goodies to check the crookedness and I decided to ride it first. I don’t even want to know yet! Haha