Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I dunno, my altitude is ~7 pounds frame weight with coilover. It seems pretty portly, maybe 1st gen frames were breaking?
I am hoping to get a 160-170mm 29-er under 30 pounds. Currently looking at the Scott Ransom as well.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dunno, my altitude is ~7 pounds frame weight with coilover. It seems pretty portly, maybe 1st gen frames were breaking?
I am hoping to get a 160-170mm 29-er under 30 pounds. Currently looking at the Scott Ransom as well.
New Reign is probably worth a look as well then, although travel is a bit shorter unfortunately. Dunno what the new Spesh Enduros weigh/cost in your part of the world.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Reign reach is too long for me, and the travel is too little. Which is a shame because I get landed manufacturer price on giants. It will probably not be very light as well.
I will never ride Specialized.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Got some of those Rev Grip things too, does anyone know if any carbon bar makers say that they are a no no on their bar? Seems like a lot of load on two very small collars. I like the rotational function of the grips but they are really hard compared to other large diameter grips because of the large plastic tube and I find them to feel quite harsh in the bumps.

Wasn't planning on upgrading my dropper just yet but my Vyron was getting a bit weird so I investigated. Turns out the Australian agent can't rebuild the or supply parts and you "need" some sort of bleeding tool for it.
It needed new backups, seals and bushings so I bought a shiny new Rockshox E-Taintsmacker..

IMG_20190803_164234_1.jpg

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
@HardtailHack
Can't you find someone who will build you the needed tool?

If not this guy in Russia is my best bet: https://instagram.com/sordelyshka_zapil?igshid=c1ckaeggsmdp
Wow, looks like he could make anything you needed, thanks for the link! I have seen the bleeding tool for sale on a European site but I will get a total cost for the other parts first, don't really want to spend much on a shit product, it will just be a spare for when the Reverb explodes or catches fire.

Magura Germany told me to contact Magura Asia for assistance so I will see if they can sell bushings and seals, Magura aren't huge on people doing things themselves. I bought it from an international seller on Ebay so there is no warranty, it was also supposed to be a Mk2 but I was sold a Mk1 and they sucked.
1566033647702.png

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Got some of those Rev Grip things too, does anyone know if any carbon bar makers say that they are a no no on their bar? Seems like a lot of load on two very small collars. I like the rotational function of the grips but they are really hard compared to other large diameter grips because of the large plastic tube and I find them to feel quite harsh in the bumps.

View attachment 136384
I picked up some this week too. What size did you get? I started with the mediums and felt they were too hard compared to the thick grips I usually run. Ordered a set of the large grip sleeves and those did the trick.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I picked up some this week too. What size did you get? I started with the mediums and felt they were too hard compared to the thick grips I usually run. Ordered a set of the large grip sleeves and those did the trick.
Yeah got the large, took them off yesterday, I have to get a 2.5mm inhex for my torque wrench. I did the clamps up as tight as I was happy to do so without a torque wrench but the clamps would still back off and it must have caused the grip to flex too much and it has scratched the bar up.
Also recently cut the bar down to 770, the Rev Grips make it feel like a 750 compared to single clamp grips.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Yeah got the large, took them off yesterday, I have to get a 2.5mm inhex for my torque wrench. I did the clamps up as tight as I was happy to do so without a torque wrench but the clamps would still back off and it must have caused the grip to flex too much and it has scratched the bar up.
Also recently cut the bar down to 770, the Rev Grips make it feel like a 750 compared to single clamp grips.
Yeah, I'm going to need to go from 780s to 800s. I tend to always keep the edges of my palms hanging off the grips; not sure if I'm going to be able to break the habit.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
34t ring with an 11-40 XTR 11 speed cassette on my Geometron. 34t ring and an 11-36 10 speed on the hardtail. 650b wheels on both.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
After my last few climbs im considering putting on a 30t ring to go with my 47t granny.

What's everyone run gearing-wise?
I put on a 30T when I was in Canada last year (mated with 11-46XT cassette) and it was very welcome at the end of long days. I've left it on ever since and haven't really missed the top end gearing.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
32t front with 11spd 10-42 X0 cassette on the sturdy wheels with DD or Exo+ tires and a 11-40 XTR on the lightweight wheels with the Exo tires.
Bike is a Reign on coil springs front and rear.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
30 x 11-46 on all three bikes.

Same on all: GX rear mech, X01 shifters, Sunrace cassette, SRAM or KMC chains, whichever I find a deal on.

Same One-Up posts and Wolftooth remotes, same brakes, bars and seats, mostly (other than one rear King near 16 years old) same hubs, all RockShox springy bits for the same reason as above.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
30 x 11-46 on all three bikes.

Same on all: GX rear mech, X01 shifters, Sunrace cassette, SRAM or KMC chains, whichever I find a deal on.

Same One-Up posts and Wolftooth remotes, same brakes, bars and seats, mostly (other than one rear King near 16 years old) same hubs, all RockShox springy bits for the same reason as above.
I have some (ahem) "stout" climbs out here, and my training plan includes a lot of naps and whiskey. 30tx 47 would surely help.

re: OneUp posts. I'm finding a minor flaw in their design. Their posts actuate with the housing, not the cable. My post doesn't slip and slide in the frame port so smoothly, so at times the post gets stuck open and has no support. Hmfph.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
I have some (ahem) "stout" climbs out here, and my training plan includes a lot of naps and whiskey. 30tx 47 would surely help.

re: OneUp posts. I'm finding a minor flaw in their design. Their posts actuate with the housing, not the cable. My post doesn't slip and slide in the frame port so smoothly, so at times the post gets stuck open and has no support. Hmfph.

I'd have done the 50t if out west again, but out here the 46t is more than low enough.

Had that issue early on. Got my housing tweaked so it's no trouble now. Supposedly something they've addressed on the new version.

One of mine is two seasons on, trouble free so far. All the same size/length, and have two spare cartridges- good to go for a while!

Not missing my Reverbs one bit.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am still running 34t oval with 11-38 11spd out back but my Sunrace cassette is hitting my spokes.
My chain was hitting my shoe on descents and assumed it was time to adjust the Saint's clutch but it was the cassette hitting the spokes forcing the chain down. Not really sure how to sort it as I have no room for a shim at the rear as the 11t is only really just on.

New E Reverb gets a solid meh, batt has to be removed to charge, has a dedicated charger, the post moves stupidly quickly and RS say not to change the pressure, it has a bulky head so low profile seats become pretty uncomfortable and has a topout thud like a shitty old RS elastomer fork.
It is better than the V1 Magura Vyron but not by as much as I expected, I was sure I read that you could adjust the closing delay after you release the button, the app seems to do nothing useful if you only have the dropper, not sure why RS needs an email address for the app, it also uses BT low energy so you have to allow GPS access or the app won't find your post.............not that you can do anything anyway.

Got the Z1 a couple of days ago but may have made a mistake with that purchase, I assumed an AVY dual coil kit would fit but with the smaller ID stanchions I'm not sure it will, will call Craig to find out soon.
If the fork will fit the dual coil the bike will be 100% sorted.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

What bike do you have? They have two different cable heads on the new one. Maybe shoot them a message and ask if if your old post can be retrofitted?

I've got a v1 OneUp post and it's so damn better than my previous KS, takes muchhhhh less effort than Reverbs and just works...so far. The cable housing moving did pose a slight problem when I lowered my seat for DH runs this past trip. But after wriggling it and seeing the cable housing wear down a bit, it seems good to go.