Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
explain to me how those sideknobs work they way they orient that tire
Uh you're aware of

a) how many WCs that tyre has won?

and

b) how friggen awesome those tyres are?

Just checking. Cos those tyre just bloody work. If they fucked up the design they accidentally created one of the most winning tyres ever

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Uh you're aware of

and

Just checking. Cos those tyre just bloody work. If they fucked up the design they accidentally created one of the most winning tyres ever
Sorry bro, the real results come from internet engineering analysis.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Uh you're aware of

and

uh, you're aware of what I've actually been saying?

good to know all that marketing works. I get confused, are we on the phase where WC racers have nothing to do with us because they're on a different planet, or WC racers are relevant to us agan because we can buy their tires? It keeps changing. :rofl:

Can I start the conversation about angled sidewalks serving as dh tracks on the world cup circuit now?

You can't talk shit on that one because sam hill said the same thing years ago. He's won world cups so he's gotta be right. Plus he's austrailian.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Sorry bro, the real results come from internet engineering analysis.
One of us in this thread has helped design and improve existing tires. Ones that have 'won' world cups.

Guess which one.

jUsT tHiNk hOw mUcH fAstEr tHey WoUlD hAvE bEen oN gOod tIrEs!!!
Walking into a bike shop must be a magical mystical experience for you when you have no idea what you're looking at and just have to trust the genius of the next product cycle.

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
One of us in this thread has helped design and improve existing tires. Ones that have 'won' world cups.

Guess which one.

Walking into a bike shop must be a magical mystical experience for you when you have no idea what you're looking at and just have to trust the genius of the next product cycle.

@Gary

Obviously

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Cool. Thanks.

Actually have a DHR2 on the front and a HR2 on the rear of the bike I'm riding tomorrow.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Cool. Thanks.

Actually have a DHR2 on the front and a HR2 on the rear of the bike I'm riding tomorrow.
Those were both designed by the last good tire guy maxxis had years ago. I just worked on after the fact improvements with him (like thicker sideknobs on the HR2). He did the layouts. Worst thing maxxis did was let that guy go after he came up with the first two useable tires in years out of maxxis. He asked for a well justified raise and they wouldn't give it to him. Everything since has been pretty meh.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
My God I realized I hadn't poked at you today (@kidwoo) so I ordered more...new pics of more tires are more fun then older pics of new tires..
(Already ordered for Enduro, went tacky rear and mm front)

Cause I care ...and I'm compassionate, and I have understanding...oh that's right , I don't, I'm not, and I would love stupid people to suffocate at night cause they are too stupid to breath. Plus they are taking up space and getting in my way all the time..
IMG_20231117_201336_173.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
@kidwoo like we chatted I will also flip it later just because I am curious...see about the edge bite and not worry about the braking edge...I'll snip if needed...

I do see what your saying but I also know there's more than 1 variable that's synergistic with design that may be why they hook up as well as they do..but messing with stuff is cool too....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

Guess which one.

Sure, pookie, sure.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
rideit walking into a shop and seeing an entire wall of tires with names he's never seen before

Hey man, I’m old, I’m still rocking Farmer John’s and Farmer John’s Cousins.
I quit tring new things around the Smoke and the Dart.
It’s a shame that I never leave my house, I just ride BMX Video games, what the fuck could I possibly know about tires?
:p :p :p :p

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Ok, sure

Some go faster than others, some are stiffer than others, some are more supple than others, some suck, some are great for a specific individual and/or conditions, as well as the inverse.
See?
How hard was that?
I know all of this because I have been riding my whole life, in every kind of conditions.
in other words, street knowledge from riding as many as I can try, and basically not liking 90% of them, the same as you.
I don’t know WHY some tires and treads work well for me, or don’t, but I SURE AS FUCK know what I like and don’t like.
You don’t need a doctorate in knob-vomit to have a informed, well earned opinion about it, ya’ elitist enginerd snob. :D
But hey, what would you know about them, you haven’t ridden in years, homeboy.:banana:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Not the main point, but the alignment between the two halves of the mold on those is sweet. Schwalbe does that a lot, too.

I'm not saying they won't work, they will. I'm only saying they'd work better cornering if they were flipped.

You like trying things so ride them for a while them flip them around.
Yep. It's not that Marys don't work — there are a lot of worse tires out there. And Schwalbe's rubber compounds and casings are pretty good. But those side knobs would 100% work better if they were on the other way around. I know because I've tried it. They brake like shit that way, but that's because the center knobs are on backwards if you fix the side ones.

I inevitably end up riding a bunch of different tires and there are a bunch that I can get used to (including Assegais, though I wouldn't choose to run those). Marys get taken off of review bikes so I can actually evaluate the bike instead of just getting mad at the tires. I'm sure I could get more used to them if I committed to riding them exclusively, but they take a much bigger adjustment than just about any of the common options that aren't completely terrible. Because the side knobs are on backwards.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Screw ya'll. Imma find me some Arrow 3.0s.
There's a big difference between caring what other people want to run and thinking that other people choosing to run something makes it good.

Knock yourself out, is what I'm saying. Which you probably will if you actually find a pair of those stupid things. :D

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well I'm looking forward to running them...like @ride said some tires just work better for different riders ..I've ran tires that just don't hook up for shit for me , but a buddy will rip it up on em....assegai is one that I actually like and got after that worked...yet appears to be hate..Mary I love that tire I get lug roll when I drop em really hard but familiar with that from MX and desert so it's not nerve racking...
If the chans hold line dropped further and more aggressive it'll be a bonus...

1 thing though on this years sidewalls..the chans in super gravity don't have a rubber feel as much as a hard non conforming feel...I like tires that are more solid dense and a conforming rubber...these are hard and alot like a plastic acting sidewall even in sun laid out it doesn't relax..so that's got me a bit concerned...