Quantcast

New Whip? New toys for the dependable steed?

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
My favorite soundtrack when riding is the sound of a bike in perfect working order, with no creaks or rattle. :)
I love that too.

Sadly it's a never ending feeding loop of bike parts and fiddling to keep the creaking and noise down.

I guess that's one downside of not being a fair weather rider.

But I at least keep my chain noise free. We have a buddy who barely even rides and yet somehow his chain sounds like it's about to turn back into the elements from which it's been forged from.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I love that too.

Sadly it's a never ending feeding loop of bike parts and fiddling to keep the creaking and noise down.

I guess that's one downside of not being a fair weather rider.

But I at least keep my chain noise free. We have a buddy who barely even rides and yet somehow his chain sounds like it's about to turn back into the elements from which it's been forged from.
I have one that reminds me of my stupidity, my LH pedal clicks on almost every revolution.
The only solution is a new crank arm and titanium spindle, fek.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I had to completely dismantle the rear suspension and BB/cranks of my Polygon Siskiu to chase an annoying clicking sound. After replacing ALL the bearings in the rear triangle/link/BB/pedals*, the clicking didn't stop.

The funny thing is it eventually disappeared, about two weeks after the overhaul. Or maybe my ears grew so accustomed to it my mind simply mutes it :D .

* Why are pedal bearings so tiny and so fucking expensive?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Fat bike ready for summer again as alt-enduro bike. New bits include the matchy matchy Garbaruk 11spd cassette, Eagle XO1 derailleur, xx1 11spd chain. Over the winter it got a Tech4 front lever. If I had it ready, I would have driven home and grabbed it upon finding my mezzer is still F-ed today.

444973198_10102991659996578_808044124765815984_n.jpg

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Your fork is on backwards!

Regarding 12* bars- I have Westy's old ones and they are an improvement for me. I think the bigger deal for me is the wing grips that let me ride without a wrist brace and without pain. Between the two, I'm a happy camper. Will be working to get more time on the MTB this summer but this setup will probably be crucial.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Your fork is on backwards!

Regarding 12* bars- I have Westy's old ones and they are an improvement for me. I think the bigger deal for me is the wing grips that let me ride without a wrist brace and without pain. Between the two, I'm a happy camper. Will be working to get more time on the MTB this summer but this setup will probably be crucial.
What physical ailment are you dealing with to make those changes? My wife has been dealing with carpal tunnel and arthritis issues. She's got the former under control, but has arthritis pain in her one wrist that we need to help improve.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
What physical ailment are you dealing with to make those changes? My wife has been dealing with carpal tunnel and arthritis issues. She's got the former under control, but has arthritis pain in her one wrist that we need to help improve.
I don't know, honestly. I have persistant wrist pain in my right wrist (insert jackin' jokes here)- I am guessing it happened while DHing and I just didn't notice it during the day I injured it. For a while after, I got increasing soreness on my MTB any time I rode...it would linger for a while. I found I had trouble with my commuter because my wrists were in the same position. I didn't have issues on the roadie.

I believe I had a couple of cortisone shots into the abyss of my wrist bones, and they helped massively but you can't do that all the time. I wasn't able to do a pushup prior to cortisone- to give you an idea of how the injury manifested. Eventually with enough disuse it went away (like 2 years), but I don't want it to come back, so I have all the orthotic BS I can find. I also have wing grips on my EEB and it helps despite having flat bars.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
New derailleur and cassette. Easiest swap ever, only had to adjust the limit screws and that was it. Didn't even put a new cable in (I put a new one in a few months ago and left some extra on the end to snip off).

I've had XO derailleurs in much worse shape, that still worked well, but this Deore one is clapped out. I don't know how many rocks and stumps it has hit over the last two seasons. Including a branch opening the cage up like a fish in BC last summer. The clutch is now neither off nor on, it just bangs along.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Not very confidence inspiring! Sounds like NX-level shittyness. I am a bit surprised, as I thought Deore was the best option for budget drivetrain and was super reliable.

I once had an 11sp XX1 derailleur so banged-up, you couldn't even read "SRAM" on it anymore...but it still performed flawlessly. I don't like how expensive the top-tier SRAM drivetrain stuff is, but it sure is quite reliable.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
how many deore derailleurs can you buy for the price of one xx1?
Probably a lot now...but not many when I bought mine in 2014 (?), on CRC, at a time when 1 $CDN ~ 1$US.

There's also some value in purchasing something durable that will provide excellent performance over a long period...compared to something that will just create several times more waste and have performances ranging anywhere from "OK" to "broken" during its short lifetime.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I just remembered I was diagnosed with tendonitis. Not sure if that is helpful

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0022.JPG

Only about an hour and a half today, but fun so far. Felt better than the frame/fork setup its replacing. Got a nice deal on the cheapy complete. Frame/dropper/fork to put my own parts pulled off another bike. That one is getting shunted over to commuter duties. Waiting on the right front Hope endcaps to run my own front wheel there - the existing ones are for the Torque cap thing. Doh! Didn't think about that.

The TranzX dropper (30.9 x 170mm) is not really adjustable, but I'm impressed with it right out of the box. Fast, doesn't feel sloppy or clunky. The remote suuuuuuucked though. Put a helicoil into some messed up clamp threads on a 1st gen Wolftooth remote and it's golden now.

The stock fork feels pretty nice after one ride. Nothing but basic pressure/rebound/compression adjustment, but that's all I want out of a hardtail fork. 140mm for now, may drop it to 120mm later, if I can figure out how. Mullet setup, so that'll get the HTA more where I want. 2.6" tires now, but it's got enough room to go 3" for winter stuff.

Everything bolted up nice and smoothly. Even the unrideabru XTR cranks in the oh so not fashionable 175mm length. Obviously they are going to kill me.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Bullcrew is single handedly keeping the bike industry from fully lunching itself. :busted:
I am trying, wife doesn't understand..keep telling her Im sponsoring a child in taiwan to keep them fed and working...they send me progress reports in the form of bikes and parts...

Not my fault she chose that other organization that she gets fake drawings from some adult named Bob living in his mom's basement pretending to be a hungry kid somewhere.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am trying, wife doesn't understand..keep telling her Im sponsoring a child in taiwan to keep them fed and working...they send me progress reports in the form of bikes and parts...

Not my fault she chose that other organization that she gets fake drawings from some adult named Bob living in his mom's basement pretending to be a hungry kid somewhere.
Have you tried the Deity Supracush grips?
They have been my favourite grips so far, have Ergon GA something, Revs, Deftrap, Dreadlocks, Pologo A-Hole brush or something.
I'd really like to see Renthal make some fat Kevlar grips.

EDIT-Quote the wrong post.

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
They have been my favourite grips so far, have Ergon GA something, Revs, Deftrap, Dreadlocks, Pologo A-Hole brush or something.

Same. I’ve been really loving those. They wear out pretty quickly since they’re so soft, but you can rotate them to get a little more life. And they’re cheap enough to replace.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

how do the supacrush compare to the knuckleduster (which is my current grip of choice)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
This right here...that would be a top of want list .

Rogues have been amazing, I'm not a fan of single loc on.. kind of makes me Leary....

I haven't tried those, I have tried rev, tld directional which may be thin but the saw style pattern pulls your hand tighter as you lean back...I love these in wet or cold weather.. gloves can be shitty covered in mud as long as the ridges get a bit of contact and you close grip pull back they lock down.