Quantcast

NHL playoffs...

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Didn't a couple people here pick the Avalanche in six games? Because I could have sworn I saw that not too long ago in this thread. The two people might both be named 'Mark' too if I remember correctly....something about the Red Wings getting knocked out six or something....but my memory is a little hazy...
I had high hopes for this series. Now I have none.

I hate to say it ... so I won't. OK, I will. The Wings are the better team (ouch, that hurt).

Wings\Stars in the conference final - winner will beat the Pens for the cup.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah the Red Wings do look awfully tough - damn can that team control the puck!

I wonder how Avery got hurt? Did someone really run him? I saw him try to hit Brooks Orpik early in period one and he bounced off Orpic like a super ball - but that was about the only time I saw Avery go down during what parts of that game I caught.

I wonder who will get the start for the Habs tonight? Will they shake things up and keep Price on the bench??

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
sucks about Avery being hurt... I don't want any excuses from the Rangers as to why they got beat by the pens! :biggrin:

that said... Avery is a punk for his cheap antics...

jus sayin...

GO PENS!!!

shamrock

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Accounts differ...some said he went in with a heart attack...I want to know what hit he got hurt on. Nothing looked weird.
It's unclear when in the game or how but he injured his spleen & played most of the game in extreme pain, I'll give him that. He did not walk himself to the hospital as some would want to believe... he walked INTO the hospital" (sidenote: the distance from The Garden to St. Vincents is roughly 2 1/2 miles) He is in stable condition & won't need surgery.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=362110&page=NewsPage&service=page

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bad mistake by Smolinski in that Habs vs. Flyers game. I would have expected a play like that from one of the young players on the Canadiens, not from a seasoned vet like Smolinski. Sit his ass down for game 5 and put someone else who can bring some energy to the table into the lineup. Move Streit up to forward and put someone else back on D.

Who gets the nod for Montreal in Game 5? Do they go back to Price at Home? Halak played well in Game 4 - stick with him again??

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So can we safely assume it's going to be Pittsburgh/Philly and Dallas/Detroit in the conference finals? Those will be two great match ups. I don't think New York, Montreal, San Jose or Colorado have comebacks in them. Although I'd probably give San Jose the best chance.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It will be tough for those clubs to make comebacks. Montreal is pretty young overall and I'm not sure they have it in them - I hope they do - but Biron has been tough. They have to find a chink in his armor.

Colorado is done - too many injuries for them to mount any type of serious comeback (Smyth out, Statsny out, Wolski out, Svatos out).

I want to see the Stars clinch in Game 5 - but San Jose will put up a big fight at home.

I think the Rangers are done unless whatever Jagr has going on gets contagious. Is Chris Drury hurt or is he just non present on the ice in this series? Same can be said for Shanahan. His age is showing.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
SJ will die an ugly death, the visiting team has won something liek 18 out of 20 in that rivalry.

Agreed, Avs are done, but that doesnt mean they cant extend it a little. Tire out the old Wings a bit.

Philly looks great, I hope Price can recover from his first playoffs and be the stud he looks to be. Habs need traffic in front of the goal.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
It will be tough for those clubs to make comebacks. Montreal is pretty young overall and I'm not sure they have it in them - I hope they do - but Biron has been tough. They have to find a chink in his armor.

Colorado is done - too many injuries for them to mount any type of serious comeback (Smyth out, Statsny out, Wolski out, Svatos out).

I want to see the Stars clinch in Game 5 - but San Jose will put up a big fight at home.

I think the Rangers are done unless whatever Jagr has going on gets contagious. Is Chris Drury hurt or is he just non present on the ice in this series? Same can be said for Shanahan. His age is showing.
Biron is on FIRE right now...More so than any other goalie in the playoffs.....How do I know? Because the friggin Flyers defensemen are letting all kinds of sh!t through, and forgot how to check and clear the boards...:rolleyes:

I think, largely due to Biron, the Flyer's will win, and then, because of Biron, they beat the Pens.

I see Redwings and Flyer's Stanley Cup. While I know it's wishful thinking as a Flyer's fan, but hey, they're winning games despite themselves.....:bonk::cheers:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I see Redwings and Flyer's Stanley Cup. While I know it's wishful thinking as a Flyer's fan, but hey, they're winning games despite themselves.....:bonk::cheers:
I hope so too because a friend of ours is a Flyers fan and I'll bet her dinner on the series. Last time these two teams met in the finals, the Red Wings sweeping Philly cost her three beers. :cheers:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
so i'm watching the Pens/Rangers game. at some point they(vs) goes to that chick they have on the staff to interview the NY coach. WTF!!! it's bad enough that they didnt really carry a lot of games, now they have to go to this cheap crap? as bad as that is, she's just annoying as all hell. why is it that US tv has to come up with this junk reporting, mic'ing a player etc. i wish i could watch the games on TSN from canada. I miss Don Cherry and coach's corner!

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Don Cherry is the man...that broad is just a talking head with an earpiece in. Knows nothing about the game at all.
Rangers have life?? Winning for Avery?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Man I really didn't expect Detroit to absolutely steamroll Colorado in that series. Not that I mind. ;) WOO HOO!

I'd like to see New York make that series interesting, only because that means more hockey games on TV.

Hey, this is twice now in the last six months that one of my favorite teams has swept a Colorado team out of the playoffs. :p Too bad I am not a Lakers fan or it'd be three.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Wow... Jagr is fantastic! I like watching him when he is posessed! Heck he is finally acting like a captain as well... too bad it is against my beloved Pens! :biggrin:

should be a good game 5 though! :thumb: too bad I will be DH'n for most of the first 2 periods! :redface:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Wow Detroit just destroyed the Avalanche!!! Holy crap am I impressed. They possess the puck so well and give up so few shots. Did you guys see the Zetterberg goal where he got knocked down, spun around and put that backhand top shelf???? Holy Moly!!

I hope Montreal can bounce back and keep this series alive vs the Flyers.

I'd really like to see a Montreal vs Pittsburgh series in the East.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Wings look scary strong and deep. Only perceived weakness is the goaltending. And when you have the regular season gaa leader in net, that is not a weakness...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yeah, although the first period was pretty bad for the Flyers. The second period was just plain goofy.....Third period was fun to watch...

Especially since the Flyers won of course. ;) R.J.Umberger just bloomed!!!!!! Briere is a bit more quite than I would have figured.....

Marty Biron is certainly a great goalie to have in clinch....As far as the Habs, Price was the deciding factor in that series. Part of being a young goalie is recovery. Had Price got over a few of the mistakes, we're having a different conversation. The first period of the last game is certainly proof of that......