Quantcast

NHL Playoffs . . .

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
So, we had a pretty 'spirited' discussion on the NHL Playoffs last spring, so I figured I'd crank up another thread about it this season.

Who do you like to make the playoffs? Who do you like to win the Cup? Can the Wings repeat?

As a 30+ year Red Wings fan, I'd love to have the same confidence in them that I had last season going into the playoffs, but the numbers just don't bare it out. I think they can still play with any team in the league and it's tough to imagine any one team beating them 4 out of 7 games, but they just haven't shown the utter dominance (especially defensively) that they displayed last season. Hossa brings a lot more scoring punch to a team that was already stacked to the rafters with talent, but their Cup hangover has led to defensive lapses and very inconsistent goal tending out of Osgood.

Let's hear everyone else's thoughts.

--JP

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I foresee a Boston vs. Montreal Series again with the roles reversed a bit. Boston #1 and Montreal #8 in the East.

I foresee someone other than Detroit in the Cup Finals - but I'm not sure who it'll be out West.

Can New Jersey ride Martin Brodeur all the way to the Finals now that he's back and hasn't had to play a zillion games this season?

Can Joe Thornton finally get the Monkey off his back and lead the Sharks to the Cup?

All good story lines.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Also - props to Andy Murray for one helluva coaching job with the St. Louis Blues. the fact that they are still in playoff contention is pretty amazing when you stop and think about that roster and also all the injuries to key players.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
The Canucks are going to win every game for the rest to the season with Sundin averaging 2 goals a game. Otherwise I could handle the Habs getting up.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Do I even have to say it? GO BLACK HAWKS!

(Lord, please dont let them go 4 and out...please?! I will be good, promise!)

We may surprise some folks...we have done well against the elite this year. Except those damn Red Wings...:disgust1:

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i think the west final will be between Detroit and San Jose. Detroit should win it, but i think it will go to 5 games minimum. the east is going to be exciting. If Boston doesnt get back to where they were, they could be out in the first round. NY is playing better, but i see them and Montreal out in the first round too. Washington and NJ are going to be tough. NJ's hope is that Brodeur stops his bad play of late, and if Washington keeps playing like they have been, they'll be tough. Philly could be tough but it depends on which team shows up. in the end, if all play to their potential, i'd say it's Boston v Washington and it'll go to 7 games, with Boston winning. the finals will be a minimum 5 games, no 4 game sweep. if it's Boston v Detroit, i think it'll go 6 to Detroit. i was at the Boston/Detroit game in Boston and that's when Boston was playing terrific. plus Detroit had the backup in to begin with and didn't pull him till they were 3 goals down. Detroit's been more consistant and that's what will push them over the edge. last nights Boston/Toronto game didn't give me a good feeling. 7-4 win, while nice, shouldn't have to happen against a team like Toronto. Fernandes really isn't playing well at all and if Thomas goes down, Boston's screwed. period.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Boston seems to have found their game again. I think they have won 7 out of their last 8 right?

Montreal will only have a chance if they give Carey Price more time to mature and go with Halak in net as he's been more solid this season in my opinion. Sure Price is the Canadian kid and all - but go with who's going to give you the best chance at winning!

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Canucks are playing strong again, like at the start of the season.
Everyone on the team had a collective brainfart when Luongo got hurt, but they are back in form now...

Will be interesting to see just how far they can go.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The Nucks took my Hawks to school last night, although I felt it was closer than 4-0, we just couldnt finish.

Should be a great spring...now if I can just get some ice time of my own...

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Here we go boys...Hawks closed the season nicely, beating the Dead Things 2 in a row. Hope our youngsters can keep the momentum moving forward!

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'm thinking the Caps...I haven't seen a team play with that much enthusiasm since the Oilers of the mid 80s...and I grew up in Edmonton.

Detroit and the 500 people left in that city who can afford a $15 dollar ticket can go **** themselves....

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It would be fun to see Chicago make a run in the West and it would also be good to see the Caps step up in the playoffs in the East. Should be some good playoff action though! Bring it on!!!! :monkeydance:

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I am so excited for the playoffs to start and there are going to be some great series. I can't wait to watch Chris Osgood self imploded, Ovechkin get his head taken off and the Flyers get destroyed by the Penguins for yet another year.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I like the Rangers chances against Washington. They have the goaltending advantage with Lundquist between the pipes that's for sure.

Will the Habs upset the Bruins this year???

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Colorado finished last in the Western Conference.

AHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
:rant::plthumbsdown:

Games have been downright painful to watch over the last month. I just hope they fire the GM before he has a chance to trade their first round pick for a washed-up veteran and a bag of pucks.

East:
B's in 4
Caps in 5
Canes in 6
Flyers in 7

West:
Sharks in 6
Wings in 4 :-)disgust1:)
Blues in 7
Hawks in 5

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Bruins in 4 Tony?

Is that because you despise Montreal or do you really think that series will end up as a sweep?

Even though I'm a Canadiens fan - I do think the Bs should win the series, but I don't think it'll be a sweep.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
Bruins in 4 Tony?

Is that because you despise Montreal or do you really think that series will end up as a sweep?

Even though I'm a Canadiens fan - I do think the Bs should win the series, but I don't think it'll be a sweep.
I've got nothing against Montreal, but I think Boston is going to steamroll them.

The B's took 5 of 6 in the regular season, outscoring the Habs 22-12. Montreal's only win was in the shootout. Plus Montreal is missing Markov, which is a lot more significant than the B's missing Ference. Markov was the Canadiens' leading point producer against the Bruins this season.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I've got nothing against Montreal, but I think Boston is going to steamroll them.

The B's took 5 of 6 in the regular season, outscoring the Habs 22-12. Montreal's only win was in the shootout. Plus Montreal is missing Markov, which is a lot more significant than the B's missing Ference. Markov was the Canadiens' leading point producer against the Bruins this season.
I think it'll go 6 or so. Remember last year Montreal dominated Boston in the regular season but the series went to 7 games.

St. Louis over the Canucks? That's a gutsy call, but I like it. Is Luongo healthy? If so, he could be the difference maker, especially with the Canucks having home ice in that series.

On another note - did anyone watch the Miami of Ohio vs Boston University NCAA D1 championship game? What a come back by BU! I was hoping for Miami to hang on - but BU would not give up and their talent with the man advantage was the difference maker when they pulled the goalie. Too bad the OT goal was a bit of a fluke.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
You pick against Detroit in pretty much every series so this is nothing new.
They'll probably crush the Blue Jackets - I just would like to see some new blood from the Western conference for a change.

I'm wondering if New Jersey could emerge the darkhorse out of the East - since Martin Brodeur didn't have to play so many games this year. Although they didn't finish up all that well. But a hot goalie in the playoffs can make a world of difference. Can Marty step it up?? We shall see.

tonyhawk

bikerag.com whore
Sep 21, 2003
CT
St. Louis over the Canucks? That's a gutsy call, but I like it. Is Luongo healthy? If so, he could be the difference maker, especially with the Canucks having home ice in that series.
Luongo is healthy, but St Louis is on a tear right now and could possibly get Kariya back in the series. It'll be close, but I think the Blues can pull off the upset.

I'm wondering if New Jersey could emerge the darkhorse out of the East - since Martin Brodeur didn't have to play so many games this year. Although they didn't finish up all that well. But a hot goalie in the playoffs can make a world of difference. Can Marty step it up??
Marty always steps it up this time of year. If Zubrus and Rolston can get going and Elias is healthy, they'll make it a good series. It's generally bad practice to bet against Brodeur, but Carolina is hot right now, so I think they could take it.

On another note - did anyone watch the Miami of Ohio vs Boston University NCAA D1 championship game? What a come back by BU! I was hoping for Miami to hang on - but BU would not give up and their talent with the man advantage was the difference maker when they pulled the goalie. Too bad the OT goal was a bit of a fluke.
I only got to see the highlights. 3 BU players are Avs prospects, including Cohen (scored the gwg) and Shattenkirk (assisted on the gwg). Looking forward to seeing them in the NHL.