Quantcast

No more Big Bear

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
-BB- said:
Pipe down there dude... This guy seems to be on OUR side.

Sorry Soliderbike.
Didn't mean to sound so harsh. Just sayin that it seemed like he just did a recap on the whole thread. I am not taking anyones "side", just pointing out what I thought was obvious. So pipe down on your pipe downs. :)

Sorry if I was rude or insulting to you soldierbike. But I still fully believe that DHing isn't coming back to BB. At least not for a looooong time.

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
bikenweed said:
That's the third place in CA that's been sued so far this fall. Sandhill Ranch, Calabasas, and now Big Bear. Great. Boy oh boy, do I love this country I live in. Any idea when or where we can find the whole story on this lawsuit? Does this thing really exist or is this a sick joke?
Closure to Downhill Mountain Bike’s

Starting with the 2005 mountain bike season, Snow Summit Mountain Resort in Big Bear Lake, CA. will no longer allow the hosting of Downhill Mountain Bike races, and they will no longer load DH bikes during its summer Sky Chair operation. This is a response to a combination of legal and environmental issues.
Snow Summit is no longer willing to except the liability exposure of DH mountain biking and racing. A major lawsuit has been filed against USA Cycling, Snow Summit, and Team Big Bear on behalf of an injured DH racer. This lawsuit is still pending (it has not been settled nor reached the trial stage).
Along with the liability issue, the US Forest Service has been pressuring Snow Summit and Team Big Bear to address the substantial amount of illegal downhill trails that have developed adjacent to Snow Summit’s permit area, primarily as a result of its Sky Chair operation. Various methods have been used to inhibit the development and use of these trails including, signage, fencing, and ticket revocation. These attempts have proved futile. The combination of liability exposure and environmental concerns have led to this decision.
Snow Summit will be loading XC bikes)., but it has yet to determine whether or not they will build a limited number of trails on its permit area. Other wise XC riders will be able to take advantage of the roads and trails adjacent to the resort.
Team Big Bear will be allowed to host XC and Super D races at Snow Summit. ). These events will be restricted to a limited access to the resort (start/finish areas, and a limited amount of service roads. But we will still have access to the National Forest roads and trails that we have been using for races for years, including “Falline”, “Plantation” and all of the FS roads.
Team Big Bear will continue hosting the scheduled NORBA National Mountain bike race but obviously it will be limited to expanded XC and Super D racing. We are currently planning to sustain most of our calendar events including the Cal State Series, including DH races at other venues which we hope to expand. More information will available on our website www.teambigbear.com as events and venues develop.
NOTE: We here at Team Big Bear are extremely disappointed at the loss of DH racing at Snow Summit, but fully appreciate Snow Summit’s decision in light of our litigious society. We would like to thank Snow Summit for its heartfelt decision that will have dramatic effect on the community of Big Bear Lake, and long ranging ramifications in our mountain bike community. We will continue to work hard to support mountain bike racing, including downhill, and we would also like to thank those athletes who have supported racing.

Tom Spiegel
Patrick Follett

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ,and only me ,TBB built unsafe stuff and it does not surprise me when some one get`s hurt that they get sued .I would love to see you whinners try and walk in Brians shoes one day ( Oh crap he can`t walk ) you might see his view ,I`am sure the re-bar was bent in a hook form to stop his bike completely like that .I have seen pieces like that there you don`t know may be some dumbass spectator bent it . The thing is Brian is jacked up ,BB is shut down ,and Health insurance cost`s way too much I pay for my family $1100 a month USD out of my pocket ,but life goes on

Brian may you recover the best you can

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I just can't hold back a few more comments on this thread, even though most of this is not about BB specifically.

Personally I don't think jumps should be used as speed control at all on a dh course, it's just too dangerous and stupid to assume that pumped up racers who are pushing their limits will hold back. Going fast is the goal. Good judgment and self-preservation are compromised in the heat of a race. IMO, transitions should be gradual, with long landing transitions. Use turns and natural tech sections to control speed - few people die or end up a quad from washing out in a turn or getting messed up in a rock garden.

Yes racing SHOULD be about control, and racers SHOULD figure out just how fast their skills will let them hit any course obstacle. But people do stupid stuff in the heat of a race

Philosophically, there's no question to me that ultimately racers bear the responsibility for their own ride. But that philosophy gets tossed out the window in the mayhem of a hyped DH race, that's just the reality of a sport that condones pushing limits to get every possible advantage.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
OGRipper said:
I just can't hold back a few more comments on this thread, even though most of this is not about BB specifically.

Personally I don't think jumps should be used as speed control at all on a dh course, it's just too dangerous and stupid to assume that pumped up racers who are pushing their limits will hold back. Going fast is the goal. Good judgment and self-preservation are compromised in the heat of a race. IMO, transitions should be gradual, with long landing transitions. Use turns and natural tech sections to control speed - few people die or end up a quad from washing out in a turn or getting messed up in a rock garden.

Yes racing SHOULD be about control, and racers SHOULD figure out just how fast their skills will let them hit any course obstacle. But people do stupid stuff in the heat of a race

Philosophically, there's no question to me that ultimately racers bear the responsibility for their own ride. But that philosophy gets tossed out the window in the mayhem of a hyped DH race, that's just the reality of a sport that condones pushing limits to get every possible advantage.

Well, - I think people are still responsible for their own actions...no matter how freaked out they get in the heat of the race ! No matter what, - no matter if you crash or not, - people chose to compete themselves, making the it their own responsibility ...IMO

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
seismic said:
Well, - I think people are still responsible for their own actions...no matter how freaked out they get in the heat of the race ! No matter what, - no matter if you crash or not, - people chose to compete themselves, making the it their own responsibility ...IMO
Like I said, philosophically I agree with you. But we've got to deal with the reality that people get badly hurt when left to use their judgment about something like a steep jump meant as a speed control. As we've seen, when people get hurt, bad things follow - lawsuits, closures, etc.

We can congratulate each other all day for being philosophically right, but no matter how right we are on a cosmic level we still won't be out riding at Big Bear.

Tashi

Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
Is riding getting any safer? No.

Is insurance gettting any cheaper? No.

Is anyone willing to pay double/triple etc. for a lift pass? No.

I think this is just a sign of things to come my friends, and we will have to get used to it. Luckily there's way more to riding bikes than DH.

ernst

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
I'm hoping once Big Bear does open in a few seasons time for DHing. Team Big Bear or Snow Summit, will take the time to maintain trails on the Mountain.
As I was over riding the sand pit they called Summit run..!

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
ernst said:
I'm hoping once Big Bear does open in a few seasons time for DHing. Team Big Bear or Snow Summit, will take the time to maintain trails on the Mountain.
What language is that?

Duzitall

Monkey
Jun 20, 2004
San Diego
ernst said:

I remember your story now. You've taken some dirt samples on that mountain. Glad to hear your getting better. Maybe we will all DH again someday at BB. Positive vibes. :thumb:

al7barfly

Chimp
Feb 18, 2005
I've had a lot of injuries in a lot of different sports. I've been riding downhill alomst exclusively at Big Bear for about 5 years. I love the sport, but I made the decision to NOT DO IT at a competitive level. Part of liability is knowing your own tendencies. Mine is to give it my all. In this sport, I know for a fact that would spell injury (probably serious injury). So I don't race. I just like going up there and having fun. I was going to buy a vacation home up there this year. Guess what? Plans just changed. This literally broke the deal. HEY SNOWSUMMIT, "I snowbaord too, and so does my family. You just lost some Winter revenue as well. 3 season tickets and lot of consessions."

specialK

Chimp
Apr 9, 2004
La Jolla and Long Beach
sorry if someone already asked this, but this thread is way too long to read the whole thing...
What ever happened to the waivers we sign everytime we get a lift ticket. I havent read it in detail but doesnt it say mtb is a dangerous sport with high risks and bb isnt responsible for your injuries?

Jamsoul

Chimp
Jun 28, 2004
tha boot
The wisdom of prohibiting particular user groups in order to satisfy the desires of other groups is a matter for politics rather than intelligence.
How can a mountain such as BB only have 3 runs? That is why illegal trails exist there...if you spend a weekend riding at BB you will get bored very quickly. However illegal trails isnt the real problem its used as an excuse to get DH riders off the mountain. To echo what another person said we sign waivers before heading up the mountain so I do not understand the law suit. Big bear closing sounds like a case of bad mangement getting bullied by other interest groups. :rolleyes: