Quantcast

No more maxxis thread

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Dang you Doug!

I came to work ready to review the "State of the SouthEastern Race Scene" part 632 only to find this pathetic thread about not having a Maxxis thread!

Oh well, I guess everyone will just have to go back to arguing about the weight of paint and what tires work the best for wallrides.

I'll go back in my hole.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Good move.

All you guys ever noticed that all these arguments take place in the offseason
when we are not riding much.
Riding cures all.
I think that a spirited discussion is sometimes a good thing in order to get everyone on the same page. I agree that it does get pretty lame but confrontation usually leads to a better understanding of everyones issues. Besides what the hell else is this forum for?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll tell you what its for...

Last night I threw off those pesky clipless pedals I been riding all winter, threw on some flats, lowered my seat and played in the MUD and water at Haw. I two wheel drifted, roade the top tube, slide around corners, and had a freakin blast playing like I was DH racing in the mud. :blah: what did you guys do?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
profro said:
I'll tell you what its for...

Last night I threw off those pesky clipless pedals I been riding all winter, threw on some flats, lowered my seat and played in the MUD and water at Haw. I two wheel drifted, roade the top tube, slide around corners, and had a freakin blast playing like I was DH racing in the mud. :blah: what did you guys do?

I drove 45 minutes in Knoxville traffic, went to class until 10:00, came home, looked at my stable in disgust, and studied. :mumble:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
spoke80 said:
I think that a spirited discussion is sometimes a good thing in order to get everyone on the same page. I agree that it does get pretty lame but confrontation usually leads to a better understanding of everyones issues. Besides what the hell else is this forum for?
I agree. But guys like me and you can you have a spirited discussion that will benefit things. While some other guys just sling poo until we all covered in it.
That thread started off pretty good.
Honestly, I don't mind the confrontation, but for me, as much as I love DH, its still a hobby, and I just wanna have fun.
I just can't be one of those guys showing up at the races all angry and complaining all the time. The only reason I race is I consider it fun, and when the fun stops, I'll quit, buy a CRF250x and race hare scrambles. ;)
Either way, I win.
No seriously, I want this thing work out more than anybody, because I have always invested alot in racing, and I hope everybody can get on the same page and make the Maxxis Series something special.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
I hope everybody can get on the same page and make the Maxxis Series something special.
Unfortunately I don't see it happening. :(

I think you have the two following groups:

1. The casual dher that gets all excited about racing places like Wolf, ETSU, and Charlotte. These are also the guys that don't show up to Windrock to race.

2. The guys that want to take the riding to the next level, the guys (and gals) that only get a rush from severaly challenging themselves against tough courses. These are the guys that show up to race Windrock and travel to other races.

2a. Jeremy who is in both groups. :think: :sneaky:

Who's leading the Maxxis Series? Group 1, Group 2, or Group 2a?

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
profro said:

1. The casual dher that gets all excited about racing places like Wolf, ETSU, and Charlotte. These are also the guys that don't show up to Windrock to race.

2. The guys that want to take the riding to the next level, the guys (and gals) that only get a rush from severaly challenging themselves against tough courses. These are the guys that show up to race Windrock and travel to other races.

Who's leading the Maxxis Series? Group 1, Group 2, or Group 2a?

Dude.....your attitude bites. If you want the gnarcore DH lifestyle, you might wanna relocate overseas, or something. You make my head hurt with all the complaints.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i can see where both profro and greyhound are coming from. i too am in agreeance with Doug (profro) that the dh scene in the southeast is gettin lame real quick. I can also agree with Jody though that the attitude of a lot of dh'ers in the south east is just broadening the gap between certain groups of racers. I dont race but i might sometime and i dont want to bump into attitude from other racers cause quite frankly i dont take that crap from people. The seperation between the leisure class and the hardcore class is broadening and effectively just making it harder to form a cohesive environment in which to take care of the problem.

the way i see it is one large group is much more powerfull than 2 smaller ones.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Greyhound said:
Dude.....your attitude bites. If you want the gnarcore DH lifestyle, you might wanna relocate overseas, or something. You make my head hurt with all the complaints.

Mediocrity makes mine hurt. :thumb:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
profro said:

Uhh... there is the exact same phenomina in XC racing, and any racing in general for that matter.

Sorry there is no cure.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
The quick cure for all the whining is to take a little trip to Plattekill for a weekend race there. 300-400 riders hanging out in the parking lots all weekend long, kicked back and camping out drinking brews, sitting by the campfire and bunnyhopping the fire.

They ride so much on practice day, that come race day it's all they can do to get down the mountain. But they do. They love hanging out and partying. Lazlo doesn't give them DICK! They have port a potties and bring their own food for the most part. The announcer nobody listens to!
The riders all go back up the hill to cheer on total strangers!
The prizes are nothing to speak of!
The timing system works and that's THE ONLY high tech or "professional" thing about their races!

The truth is they all come to ride, race and just plain party. No one gives a crap about how dangerous the course is. Nobody whines about how easy the course is, how slow it is, how fast it is...they just ride and have a good time.

I'm not sure what it is about the riders in the region that incites such "whining" but you all need a healthy dose of racing in the Northeast!

One thing that I think hurts MTB in general and that includes racing and the casual rider is the specialization of the different disiplines. Cant do XC on a DH bike cant DH on a MTX bike cant MTX on a XC bike.... cant race competively on a trail bike. I dont know how this offers any help on the situation just an observation. I miss the days of being a mountain biker and racing 3 different races (DH, DS and XC) in a single weekend on the same bike.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Uhh... there is the exact same phenomina in XC racing, and any racing in general for that matter.

Sorry there is no cure.

The phenomina is exactly why I quit XC racing for DH. And I would say it is worse with Dh due to the egos and myopia.

Risk nothing gain nothing........ :oink:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
caboverpete said:
One thing that I think hurts MTB in general and that includes racing and the casual rider is the specialization of the different disiplines. Cant do XC on a DH bike cant DH on a MTX bike cant MTX on a XC bike.... cant race competively on a trail bike. I dont know how this offers any help on the situation just an observation. I miss the days of being a mountain biker and racing 3 different races (DH, DS and XC) in a single weekend on the same bike.
This is why I wanna try Super D :D

it doesn't matter, specialization, complaining it happens in EVERY aspect of racing. Especially when there is "equipment" involved. I was involved in "Import Racing" from the very beggining and it experienced the same thing.

There will always be people that love to ride and race to add to their experience. Then there are people that race to win and ride to hold them over until they can race again.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
bizutch said:
The quick cure for all the whining is to take a little trip to Plattekill for a weekend race there. 300-400 riders hanging out in the parking lots all weekend long, kicked back and camping out drinking brews, sitting by the campfire and bunnyhopping the fire.

They ride so much on practice day, that come race day it's all they can do to get down the mountain. But they do. They love hanging out and partying. Lazlo doesn't give them DICK! They have port a potties and bring their own food for the most part. The announcer nobody listens to!
The riders all go back up the hill to cheer on total strangers!
The prizes are nothing to speak of!
The timing system works and that's THE ONLY high tech or "professional" thing about their races!

The truth is they all come to ride, race and just plain party. No one gives a crap about how dangerous the course is. Nobody whines about how easy the course is, how slow it is, how fast it is...they just ride and have a good time.

I'm not sure what it is about the riders in the region that incites such "whining" but you all need a healthy dose of racing in the Northeast!

Honestly, Butch.....that's the impression I got from my first race at Wolf. I had sooo much fun, I didn't care if it was pouring rain, and the course was treacherous......I was having fun. I thought that's what it was about........it never occured to me that there were actually folks out there that were trying to take it seriously and make some kind of statement about themselves by conquering that terrain so well and then proclaiming that territory lame after they've mastered it. I thought that we weren't supposed to take ourselves seriously........I mean, we're racing DH in the southeast???!!! We're like the second biggest joke next to the Sea Otter DH course.......and I mean that in a poke-fun-at-yourself way. :D

CharlieM

Monkey
Aug 7, 2004
Here's what a good season will take...

1. Everybody just needs to lighten up and have a good time! Stop complaining about the courses not being technical enough. Stop complaining about the courses being too technical. Just have fun on your bike and appreciate what ya got.

your welcome!

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
spoke80 said:
The phenomina is exactly why I quit XC racing for DH. And I would say it is worse with Dh due to the egos and myopia.

Risk nothing gain nothing........ :oink:
Hey! I just did that Monday. Quit semi-pro to race MTX and DH. funny, huh? hopefully it will be a lot more fun. those dudes had a handfull of forks up their arses :drool:

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well i always thought that the difference in courses is part of the reason for racing. if you race the same kind of course all the time then your skills will never broaden or change.

i mean i am used to rocks, roots and loamy soil. if i went out west and rode some of those courses it would be exhilerating riding new type of terrain. it also lets you gain insight into tuning your bike.

mfzbike

Monkey
Apr 10, 2004
Precious painville
i think we live in a part of the U.S. that we can't really be complaining about where we ride for pete's sack we live in TN how do we even have a DH scene ...I'm just thankful to be able to have Windrock since its the closest to where i go to school, i could care less if i go home in pain every time, atleast i know i'm riding trails that more than prepare for going anywhere else i'd ever wanna ride......i do'nt see why any racers complain about w/r DH=speed, rocks, dirt, trees and with a place like w/r that has so much damn potential and a diverse asortment of trail systems that are in place and more could be and will be built....if your gonna complain about technicality then come and build it yourself as long as its the select few out there...then they're the ones who decide what to build

my 2 cents on Windrock and TN DH

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
mfzbike said:
i think we live in a part of the U.S. that we can't really be complaining about where we ride for pete's sack we live in TN how do we even have a DH scene ...I'm just thankful to be able to have Windrock since its the closest to where i go to school, i could care less if i go home in pain every time, atleast i know i'm riding trails that more than prepare for going anywhere else i'd ever wanna ride......i do'nt see why any racers complain about w/r DH=speed, rocks, dirt, trees and with a place like w/r that has so much damn potential and a diverse asortment of trail systems that are in place and more could be and will be built....if your gonna complain about technicality then come and build it yourself as long as its the select few out there...then they're the ones who decide what to build

my 2 cents on Windrock and TN DH
Its only a joke because we make it a joke. I've ridden in California, Colorado, Texas :rolleyes: , West Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, etc. and we definately have the terrain to compete with those places. Not even Mammoth's pro/expert course at the National Championships had as much evelvation drop as Trail 1 at Windrock. Look at Pisgah, Sugar, Beech, and Wolf. Each one of those places has the elevation and potential to be just as hardcore DH as any place in New England or the Rockies. Its only our attitudes and EDIT Conservative South mentality that hold us back. After seeing what has been done at Windrock, I refuse to beleive that our scene has to be a joke. With a shuttle road or a lift and over 1000ft of drop we can be a serious as we want to be.

"Bible Belt mentality" ..... what in the hell does that mean? I mean I am the last person in the world to stand up for bible thumpers but I have to honestly say I never put problems with races and the religious right together.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
IMO, the Bible Belt mentality is when people are affraid of change, stuck in there ways, and beleive that they need to protect others for themselves. I was refering the the South in general, not religion. Maybe Conservative South is a better term.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Greyhound said:
Honestly, Butch.....that's the impression I got from my first race at Wolf. I had sooo much fun, I didn't care if it was pouring rain, and the course was treacherous......I was having fun. I thought that's what it was about........it never occured to me that there were actually folks out there that were trying to take it seriously and make some kind of statement about themselves by conquering that terrain so well and then proclaiming that territory lame after they've mastered it. I thought that we weren't supposed to take ourselves seriously........I mean, we're racing DH in the southeast???!!! We're like the second biggest joke next to the Sea Otter DH course.......and I mean that in a poke-fun-at-yourself way. :D
You are exactly right it is a joke!

And your post shows how funny/ridiculous you are comparing Windrock and Snowshoe to Sea Otter.

I think it this same "joke" attitude that keeps this region a waste of time.

Why do you even race?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
motomike said:
Hey! I just did that Monday. Quit semi-pro to race MTX and DH. funny, huh? hopefully it will be a lot more fun. those dudes had a handfull of forks up their arses :drool:
good timing. Just talked to Herndon and he said Ryan Taylor is training like a madman for XC again this year! :eek:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
spoke80 said:
You are exactly right it is a joke!

And your post shows how funny/ridiculous you are comparing Windrock and Snowshoe to Sea Otter.

I think it this same "joke" attitude that keeps this region a waste of time.

Why do you even race?
Get off him Ben...Greyhound is cool and I agree with him. Besides...if you don't I'll sit on you. I'm fat now and you won't like it! :oink: :oink:

Truth is that the casual, good times riders are the ones who keep the "race" scene going. They come to just have fun and chill out. They don't even look at the results. But they like being in a big old group of people riding DH bikes on any given weekend.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Fyi... I have no idea why I am in this thread

bizutch said:
Truth is that the casual, good times riders are the ones who keep the "race" scene going. They come to just have fun and chill out. They don't even look at the results. But they like being in a big old group of people riding DH bikes on any given weekend.
But they aren't the ones the races (any races) cater to. And of the guys that went to a race for their first time, just to hang and have a good time, one of two of them will catch the bug and get into it competitively. Those same guys will be the ones complaining about how technical, or how easy the course is in a year from now, or how someone is sandbagging.

Like I mentioned before, it is a viscous cycle of organized racing of a grassroots participant sport.

Thacker

Chimp
Nov 27, 2004
I wish everyone would just quit argueing with one another, and put on a series.....I mean it's already mid February and no mentions of any races....be happy that you have places to ride and take advantage of them, so what is they're not up to Snowshoe standard, or Colorado standards, ride what you have and enjoy it....it's negative attitudes that ruin racing for everyone...I quit racing BMX years ago because of attitudes like that, but it's looking better and better by day after reading the posts about the the scene here in the Southeast...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I just can't participate in these discussions anymore.
Every year we have the same thread with the same bull jive, and no solutions.
Its downright tiring.
All this talk about lame the Southeast is is also a load of crap.
I have been lucky enough to ride and race all over the country, and I still feel like we have the best riding around. From Windrock to Pisgah, our area is awesome for riding. Not to mention the fact that we can practically ride year around.
Now, I will admit, When I went to the US Open this year, I saw what DH riding was SUPPOSED to be like. 193 riders in the amatuer class alone.
Great prizes and cash, a super sweet course that everybody could ride but it was hard to ride fast, a VERY well ran event, and last but most importantly, even on race day, there were hundreds of riders there just freeriding which they do every single weekend at Mountain Creek. I was seriously impressed, the same way Profro was when he went to Bootleg.
That said, that fairy tale is simple not a reality around here. Those places have big money and good outside promoters. And those kinds of races are few and far between.
So, you guys can focus on hoping you have a Disney like experience when you show up at a Southeast race if you want to, while you're dreaming of riding through the clouds farting magical pixie dust, I will be racing at some muddy, over ridden, poorly marked, socks for prizes event back here in reality and loving ever minute of it. :thumb: