Votes: 49 57.6%
  • The Way It Should Be.

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
The Nomad has slacker angles than the 6.6 thus making it a better downhill blaster than the 6.6. The 6.6 should be more maneuverable on tight single track though.

I'm more interested in geometry differences - like which of the two is slacker and lower ???

Trigger

Chimp
Jul 15, 2004
Oslo - Norway
Its a bit misleading since it has more travel/sag than other bikes.
It doesn't feel very tall on the trail IMO

The VPfree? I agree, too tall for that travel.
The 303DH also got 14"+ BB height.
14.9" for the DHS Mono
DHR got 14.6"
Sunday is 13.9"

what is the perfect BB height? Beats me...seems like most designers behind some of the best-of-breed DH bikes out there, who's had help from some of the best riders out there hasn't agreed either.
so maybe the amount of difference we're seeing here is more of a topic for forumriders than downhillriders...

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
well, if took a bit more time to think about it. whats more important is what the bb height is after sag. a v10 has a very high bb 14.8, but once you sit on it, its low and slack.
i do belive that there i a pretty standard set of rules for a dh bike geo. its just comes down to what the designers want the bike to exel at.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
well, if took a bit more time to think about it. whats more important is what the bb height is after sag. a v10 has a very high bb 14.8, but once you sit on it, its low and slack.
i do belive that there i a pretty standard set of rules for a dh bike geo. its just comes down to what the designers want the bike to exel at.

I had a VP Free w/ a 15.5" BB height. All was fine untill the sagged rear end came un weighted on a steep descent and I felt like I was falling out of a high chair. Give me a trail bike w/ a 13.5" BB and I am happy FR/DH 14.5".

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I had a VP Free w/ a 15.5" BB height. All was fine untill the sagged rear end came un weighted on a steep descent and I felt like I was falling out of a high chair. Give me a trail bike w/ a 13.5" BB and I am happy FR/DH 14.5".

What fork did you have on the VP Free? I found that my VP Free decends super steeps a ton better with an 8" travel fork or a 7" with the fork dropped in the crowns. The head angle is more suitable for DH like that. The best part with the 7" travel fork is that you can drop the front end in the clamps and have a great handling trail bike.

Feb 13, 2002
Seattle, WA
The 303DH also got 14"+ BB height.
14.9" for the DHS Mono
DHR got 14.6"
Sunday is 13.9"
Dunno whazzap with the DHS... I was never a foes fan anyway.

And everyone knows that DHRs are too steep and too tall. That's why people do this

In any case, the ideal BB height seems to be a lot closer to 14 than to 15.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
yea, i donno what sc was doing with the vp.:brow: mine was 14.8 with a 8in fox 40. so i guess you are using a 888?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
What fork did you have on the VP Free? I found that my VP Free decends super steeps a ton better with an 8" travel fork or a 7" with the fork dropped in the crowns. The head angle is more suitable for DH like that. The best part with the 7" travel fork is that you can drop the front end in the clamps and have a great handling trail bike.
I ran an 05' 888 w/ stock crowns. In retrospect the VPP action probably was the reason my bike felt odd transitioning from flats to steep descents. VPP gives a stiff beginning suspension for pedalling then when big bumps are encountered in feels softer. When I was riding flats my body weight sagged the suspension, enter a steep descent and the rear was un weighted & stiff due to the VPP thats why it felt like falling out of a high chair for me.