Quantcast

Norba Bashing

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
I really don't know where to start on what's wrong with NORBA; it would be easier to say what's right with NORBA--it would be a pretty short list.

Nonetheless, the events are more like a free for all. They are so disorganized, and most officals run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

Additionally, it would be nice to see pros ride a pro course, and get paid like the professionals they are...

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
blt2ride said:
They are so disorganized, and most officals run around like a chicken with its head cut off.
Most of thoose 'officials' are volunteers on their vacation time........

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
Cant Climb said:
Does it matter? Just admit your wrong..the events are disorganized and racers are sick of it. NORBA should step up and hire people that KNOW how to run a series...

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Cant Climb said:

Huh? I don't know anyone that has ever volunteered to officate a race. You always have to pay them even at local races.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Cant Climb said:
wouldnt it be nice if tbb hired some people that actually cared about riding and racing and mabye even did it them selves? instead of hiring a bunch of white trash yokles that are to fat to even hike up the courses

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
thespackler said:
Does it matter? Just admit your wrong..the events are disorganized and racers are sick of it. NORBA should step up and hire people that KNOW how to run a series...

1. Don't bash volunteers doing anything......
2. Learn to read.
3. Shut up and leave.
4. Welcome to my ignore list.
5. (you're the first)

thespackler

Chimp
Apr 21, 2004
1. Didnt bash volunteers. If they arent good at what they do, then they shouldnt be "officials"
2. Learn to admit you are wrong.
3. See above
4. Oooh...Like I care....
5. You've been schooled oldtimer. Bye bye.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
wydopen said:
wouldnt it be nice if tbb hired some people that actually cared about riding and racing and mabye even did it them selves? instead of hiring a bunch of white trash yokles that are to fat to even hike up the courses
Harsh...but if thats the way you see it-more power to ya.

I can say I 'kinda' hear ya with that post. I do know the TBB crew used to LOVE racing, like, go out and watch, cheer, get pumped...would come by the trailer to congratulate the riders, knew who was fast, knew who was hurt, they just cared more about the races.

Last year they all seemed burned out on it...I was burned out too, 16 years of racing every summer, so I made a decision to leave it behind. I think they might want to think about the same. What is the point in doing a job you do not like doing-especially if it "doesnt pay well" according to promoters.

Sometimes I wish they would have stuck to doing their local series, I think they bit off more than they could chew with partnering up with the "series". The TBB crew is truly a group of genuinely nice, good hearted people-I dig all them guys and girls there-BUT, I think it might be time to turn over the promoting/running of the series to someone else.

I keep hearing of some 'new people' on the horizon, to start a new improved series-I really do hope its true.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Hey Sticks..iv Only Been Racing 4 Three Seasons Now And To Me It Seems The Race Crew/officials Dont Want To Be There..i Know Most People Hate Their Jobs But There Job Is To Promote Our Sport And Provide For A Good Time For The Am. So They Keep Coming To Races..it Seems My Only Interactions With Officials Have Not Be Pleasent Ones..they Just Always Seem Pissed...i Think The Races Need To Be Ran By Riders For Riders

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
wydopen said:
Hey Sticks..iv Only Been Racing 4 Three Seasons Now And To Me It Seems The Race Crew/officials Dont Want To Be There..i Know Most People Hate Their Jobs But There Job Is To Promote Our Sport And Provide For A Good Time For The Am. So They Keep Coming To Races..it Seems My Only Interactions With Officials Have Not Be Pleasent Ones..they Just Always Seem Pissed...i Think The Races Need To Be Ran By Riders For Riders

Well, they could say the same for the riders...that the riders (Ams, pros, girls, kids, etc...) are more pissed off-which I have heard. So it is a 2 way street. But like I said, I know from experience they are not 'psyched' to be there...so leave, or take a break, something.

Perhaps they enjoy the family/bbq/buddycup/party atmosphere...which is still alive and well. But they are running a business and it needs to be ran just that way...no amount of beers after the races or grilling up on the BBQ will help you succeed in business, it takes hard work, desire, knowledge, planning, bla bla bla..................................................

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
stiksandstones said:
But like I said, I know from experience they are not 'psyched' to be there...so leave, or take a break, something.

YEA THATS WHY I ONLY RACED DEER VALLEY...AFTER I SAW HOW BAD IT HAD GOTTEN I OPTED OUT OF THE REST OF THE SERIES WHICH I HAD PLANNED ON RACING...I WILL BE THERE FOR MAMMOTH BECAUSE THE UP AND COMERS WHO HAVE SOMTHING TO PROVE DONT REALLY HAVE A CHOICE BUT TO RACE...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Why Do People Race Then?...to See How They Are Compared To Other People. Its Easy For People That Are Already Sponsored And Have A Name For Themselves To Not Race But For Anyone That Wants To Get Noticed They Have To Race

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
Transcend said:
If you have "something to prove" and are talking abouts omething to do with a bike, you should probably take some prozac.

Also, lay off the caps.
yeah dude, what's up with every word being capitalized?

I must admit that the crew at Team Big Bear as always been really cool when they did their races at Snow Summit. I could be wrong, but it seems like they are bumping heads with NORBA a bit, and that is causing some stress all around.

Bottom-line, I've never really had any complaints about the Team Big Bear crew...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
And The Reason I Type Caps Is Because I Hav To Use It For My Work Which Is Open In Another Broswer And I Jst Switch Back And Forth...didnt Think It Was Such A Big Deal

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
blt2ride: sorry i didnt mean to be a dick..i jst meant u probally arnt as competitive

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
First off, Spackler, you have to learn to accept like the rest of us have, that Can't Climb can and will argue anything and everything to the point of death. He is usually completely wrong but someone usually will take the bait and it will play out for a couple pages of threads. He's just surly and disgruntled about everything ;)

The entire NCS series is a cluster F because it's lost it's focus and drive. It used to be the premier race circuit in the world because they were well organzied events with good courses and good payouts. Now, they are mostly hack jobs to be quite honest. They need to stick the proverbial fork in it and admit defeat.

The reason the USO is a success is because it's focused. It is specifically NOT trying to cater to everyone in one venue. All they do is DH...for now at least. Additionally, the event promoter is a very savvy guy with experience running other events. He also has a different outlook on the event. Much like Crankworx at Whistler, the USO is used to showcase the mountain not just 'another event'.

I'd rather see Norba axe the NCS series and instead look for promoters willing to run 5-7 seperate QUALITY events and link them together with a points ranking. Let the promoters choose the individual events, the schedule, the timing, etc. Just let Norba provide a couple officials to show up on race day an maybe some $ to pay the pros.

-ska todd

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
wydopen said:
And The Reason I Type Caps Is Because I Hav To Use It For My Work Which Is Open In Another Broswer And I Jst Switch Back And Forth...didnt Think It Was Such A Big Deal

What about the spelling and grammar is that part of your work too ?

WHAT DO YOU DO FOR A LIVING !!!!!!!!!!

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
wydopen said:
draw blueprints u foking idiot
Geez. The bottom line is you cannot write! If you want to interact on a forum with other users, use proper grammar so that reading you doesn't become an exercice in itself. It's only a question of respect toward everyone else on this board.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
Stop capitalizing every word. It's wierd.

Anyhoo, I think it would be a good idea for Norba to stop the NCS or at least completely change it so each event doesn't have so many races. It's obviously hard to deal with Beginner, Sport, Ex, Pro, with tons of age groups, in several races. It seems like it's too much and everything would be easier to organize if there were fewer races. US Open and Crankworx are examples of it. USO had only 2 categories and only 1 race, and Crankworx has 3 races and very few categories. I support this idea of having fewer races but quality ones, all linked together by a points system.

And I thought initially having only Ex/Semipro/Pro categories was a good idea, but it's not. Expert would be a huge class, everyone joining it just so they can race. And it excludes most of the people who race, the majority of racers being Beg/Sport.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
u guys are lame..oh well im going to whistler to ride have fun ebitching all week..and by the way i can write i jst dont take the time when im talking about bikes, this is a bike forum not an english club right?????????

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
im confused where in this thread did i spell anything wrong..jst cause i use shorthand dosnt mean i cant spell..but u would never do that would u dirtwrks

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
here was my ideas for a new sanctioning body:

dhbro.org

Provide inexpensive racing / licenses
Cash payout to pros and semi-pros
Downhill tracks designed with racing as a priority
Announcing with a mid course reporter and split times
A hot seat for current race leader
1:00 intervals for all riders during Final race
Ranking system using scoring factor
a. The first place time in seconds is divided by 100 to find the scoring multiplier for that race.

b. Take the scoring multiplier by your time off the winner to find your finish differential.

c. Finish differential minus 100 will be rider's score.

d. The first place rider receives 100% score.

e. Each class will generate a unique scoring multiplier.

f. An average of these Finish Scores will be used for classification purposes.

g. After two scores the riders average need to be greater 75% or he will be downgraded.

h. If after two scores the first place riders average is 5% or more to second he will be upgraded. Example: 12 seconds out of a 4:00 race is 5%.

i. A official can change the 75% downgrade break due to weather.

j. The riders score determines there start order from slowest to fastest.

k. First race there is a Qualifier for seating to build your average score. It is run on :30 second intervals and counts as one of your scores.

l. The rider with the best Score average after the whole series wins his class.

m. Riders may drop two races in a six race series.

n. Scores are non class-transferable.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
more schedule:
dh and slope stye only
freeriders and dh er weekend.

no xc, mtbmx, dhxc, or any other

thusday:
slope style open all day every day
Sport beg 8:00 - 10:00
Pro's Semi's 10:00 - 12:00
Expert 12:00 - 2:00
Pro's Semi's 2:00 - 4:00
Expert 4:00 - 6:00

Friday:
Sport beg 8:00 - 10:00
Pro's Semi's 10:00 - 12:00
Expert 12:00 - 2:00
Pro's Semi's 2:00 - 4:00
Expert 4:00 - 6:00

Saterday:
Pro - Semi 8:00 - 10:00
Sport Beg 10:00 - 12:00
Pro Semi RACE 12:30 - 2:30
Expert 3:00 - 5:00
Slope - style 5:00 dark

Sunday:
Expert 9:00 - 10:00
Sport 10:00 - 11:00
Expert Sport Beg RACE 11:30 Finish

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
black noise said:
And I thought initially having only Ex/Semipro/Pro categories was a good idea, but it's not. Expert would be a huge class, everyone joining it just so they can race. And it excludes most of the people who race, the majority of racers being Beg/Sport.

May be it should be only semipro and pros then!! Nationals should be for the faster riders. They are plenty of fun races other people like us could do.
That way all competitors could get as much practice as they want without trashing the course (because that's another issue: allow pros and expert to practice all day everyday and your course is going to be trash!!).
On another note, at Nats, if you look at the statistics, begs/sports make up for two third of the classes while being less than a third of the racers in numbers.. that is far from being the majority yet it makes things clumsy..

Anyway that's it for now...

See you all in Brian Head :)

E.C.

Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
South Central Pa.
I actualy thought for about a minute that limiting the Nat's. to just Ex/Semi Pro/Pro was a good idea, but seriously the mountain wouldn't have the revenue to support the event , Do you really think that all the Beg. and Sport riders who are there spending their hard earned dollars would come out to the event if they couldn't compete, and looking back to when I was a sport rider , I had a hell of a good time at the Nat's.
I do like the Idea of spliting the weekends between the XC and DH/MTX crowds though, and cash payouts for at least Pro and Semi Pro would be cool, Cash for Experts would be nice but I am happy with a medal and bragging rights.Oh and TV coverage, that would rock!
If anything in the above paragraph is spelled wrong or grammaticly incorrect please forgive me, I am a DH racer and do occasionaly whack my head on something,trees, handlebars, ground etc.
Peace Eric

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
stiksandstones said:
BC VAN and BCD...are you guys related?

no but we both know the inevitable demand for freeride type events.

why not have then the same weekend as dh, half the dhers do them anyway!

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
NORBA just needs to bring the respect back to the series. NORBA is not a promoter, they are a sanctioning body. The UCI has detailed requirements for different level events. NORBA needs to hold promoters to those requirements. If the promoter can not meet the requirements for a national level race cancel the race. Promoters are not going to change how they do things if they keep making money. Cancel the race on them and they will change things in a hurry. NORBA has teamed up with promoters to put on the National series. The promoter is dragging NORBA's name and reputation through the mud. Granted NORBA is allowing this to happen. They just need to step up and put a stop to it.

There are many regional and local races under the NORBA sanctioning body that are good races. Angle Fire resort's Mountain States Cup race this spring awarded UCI points. Technically this "regional" race had more meaning than a NMBS race. Michigan has a NORBA sanctioned XC race series with Ford as a series sponsor. Ford even formed a race team just to race the series. NORBA can be attached to good events. They just need to learn to say no and have requirements for promoters to meet to hold certain level events.

What does it mean to win or place well at a NMBS race now?

What riders show up to the NMBS races?

How many pros are going to Brianhead thinking, I can get a national win because the big guys will be at Crankworx?

The list of riders changes so much at these races, do the year end points really reflect the best racer, or do they reflect the racer that showed up?

These are the things that kill the reputation of a national race or series. Congratulating someone on a win, only to be thinking to yourself; the only reason they won was because so and so decided to compete at different event that paid out. Events like Crankworx are mocking the NMBS by scheduling the race the same weekend. They are just saying they do not care about the NMBS the racers will come to our event anyways, and they are correct.

Most racers are going to race no matter what. If the only game in town is the NMBS that is where the racers will be racing. If you can promote another event for racers to choose allot will avoid the NMBS.

Here we are again; NORBA is making money with the current NMBS so they have no reason to change it. Why should they pressure promoters to hold higher quality races? We as racers are accepting a mediocre product and continue to accept it. I am guilty of this, I attended the Snowmass race two weeks ago. So far there are too few of us complaining to make it a concern for NORBA. How do we get them to change, I do not know. I purchase my license for the regional races I attend not the Nationals. I enjoy these races and see the license as worth while, but still expensive.

Maybe instead of boycotting races we need to start organizing Grassroot level races the same weekend as NMBS races across the country. So we the racers can still ride and race with out supporting the NMBS. The contract pros might still have to attend the NMBS but the series cannot survive on those guys alone. We just need somewhere else for the racers to go, until then the NMBS will keep going without much change.

mgy

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
Morrison
I agree with BCD's post. The biggest problem I see is people racing in the wrong classes and no seeding system. The Telluride course this weekend was 2:40 or less for top experts and above yet Dan Sharp (30-39 expert winner) caught his 30 second man well before the finish and the guy won't get out of the way. If you are getting beat by 30 seconds in a 2 minute race you are in the wrong class.

Make riders have to qualify for each class upgrade using a points system and/or use the point system to seed riders. Mammoth was a joke for amatuers last year. 20 second intervals with no seeding at the National Championships?! That sucked for racers who had spend a lot of money and time traveling to the race.

we all know several really good races who have quit racing or at least quit going to the nationals because they were sick of getting stuck behind riders who should not of been in their class. This one of the reasons NORBA membership has gone from 33,000 in 1995 to around 14,000 today.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
merrrrjig said:
Well this tread has seemed to just be a bitching thread, do what was stated first, tell us what you would like changed, I would like to see more of a world cup 4X courses, For DH I would like it for spectators to have better access to the course, and let them up the chairlift or another chairlift that throws them in the middle of the course. If DH ever gets the the TV I would like to see mid timing sections so you could see if the rider is slower or faster in the top and bottom sections. From a photographers standpoint, the DH courses are pretty sweet, 4x isnt too bad but they do need some bigger jumps, the media rooms the put together in DV and idaho were killer, snowmass sucked for all media. Ill prolly post later, I gotta think of some more things!
i agree with ya on this stuff. curious,what makes a good or bad media room?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
stiksandstones said:
Harsh...but if thats the way you see it-more power to ya.

I can say I 'kinda' hear ya with that post. I do know the TBB crew used to LOVE racing, like, go out and watch, cheer, get pumped...would come by the trailer to congratulate the riders, knew who was fast, knew who was hurt, they just cared more about the races.

Last year they all seemed burned out on it...I was burned out too, 16 years of racing every summer, so I made a decision to leave it behind. I think they might want to think about the same. What is the point in doing a job you do not like doing-especially if it "doesnt pay well" according to promoters.

Sometimes I wish they would have stuck to doing their local series, I think they bit off more than they could chew with partnering up with the "series". The TBB crew is truly a group of genuinely nice, good hearted people-I dig all them guys and girls there-BUT, I think it might be time to turn over the promoting/running of the series to someone else.

I keep hearing of some 'new people' on the horizon, to start a new improved series-I really do hope its true.
stik, those mid to late 90's tbb races were tons of fun downhillin all day and then slalom under the lights (seemed more like flashlights)...i think tbb should have done a series by themselves back then...they are doin it now but still have to work under norbas rules and regulations...all without any effort from usa cycling.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
ENOUGH! Play nice!

If you guys can't be civil you're not welcome. You have to learn how to have a disagreement without it getting personal. :angry:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
BC VAN said:
i agree with ya on this stuff. curious,what makes a good or bad media room?
There was NO media room in snowmass, from what I understand.

A good media room includes:

-Results, well laid out and available within about 15 mins or so for those of us filing on deadline.

-A few house computers, for those without laptops or who just came off the mountain.

-A wireless network for those with laptops, so that you don't need to have 8 million feet of cable and the inevitable problems with cascaded routers.

-coffee/water for those heading up onto the mountain is a nice plus.

I think that is pretty much all that is needed in order to have a successfull media center. A staff member or 2 to make photocopies and the like is always ncie as well, but not really even necessary. Just a room, and an internet connection, and possibly some phone lines - but even these have been used less and less over the last 2 years it seems. Texting and email is just as fast and free.