Quantcast

Obtainium Performance Ti Spring Weights and Pics

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Davet, so maybe I just should wait till I have the frame and them check whether it's worth changing for titanium
Craig Quik, did they announce UK prices, already?

edit:
I have just talked to the guy from local Fox distributor. He checked the weight of a 400lbs, 2,75" steel spring. It's 407g. So, if I even choose Obtanium 400lbs with colars, it will be about 50g lighter... As far as I remember, it costs about 280usd... It's not worth it, IMO.
I begin to think about Evolver ISX6, again.

Last edited:
I emailed them a few times to try an purchase a spring and ship to the UK. Never got a reply...
I emailed K9 about a week ago. They were so good not only did I receive a reply within 24 hours, they even sent me a second email with the same info 3 days later.

Price for a 225lb x 3" stroke for a Fox was £209.95 for the spring, £15 for the Fox adapter, and the needle bearing collars are £39.99 for two.

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
How are people going for email replies from obtainium at the moment?

I understand it's a one man band, but I have to say the prices they charge are ridiculous - and the very least I'd expect given that is faster/better service. Bit of a pain to call them for non-US customers (just like hadley etc).

They don't give weights for their different springs (DSP does - thumbs up!), if anyone is calling them, I'd love to know what a 250x3.0 weighs.
I got an email reply within a day last week, I was pretty impressed.

When they first hit the market, Obtainium springs were the best deal out there. I think I paid $240 for the spring and adapters. I would imagine they had to adjust the price in order to make a buck or two.

I don't know what the 250 weighs but it's got to be way down there. My 450x3 is 290g + 40g for adapters.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am confused a bit again.
Have anyone tried to put 350-450x3 Obtainium spring on RC4 8.75x2.75", already?
Both adapters fit? Any rubbing issues?
Again, TFTnued calculator says I should get 350lbs spring.
I am 68kg (150) w/ gear. Bike travel 8", shock 8.75x2.75"
I got about 31% SAG with Fox steel 400lbs spring. But was w/o gear.
Shall I choose 375lbs Obtainium spring to be on the save side?

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
I got about 31% SAG with Fox steel 400lbs spring. But was w/o gear.
Shall I choose 375lbs Obtainium spring to be on the save side?
Why? Unless you are planning to lose weight, a 375 once you put on your 'gear' will result in much more sag. I guess it depends on how much gear you carry with you. 2 Litres of water in a camelback weighs 4.4Lbs + the rest of the stuff you might be carrying.
Surely the correct choice would be the next spring rate up? Or checking your sag with all your riding gear and going from there.

I'm assuming that by w/o gear you mean you carry some kind of pack, not that you sat nekkid on your bike to check the sag.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I usually ride on chair lifted tracks, so no need to carry camelback full of water and pumps, tubes, tools, rain jacket. I've been even riding just in helmet, jersey, short DH pants, soft knee pads and waist bag. So, nearly absolute minimum.
I think the best way is to check SAG in riding clothes, indeed.
I will have opportunity to check 350 Fox steel spring in the end of the year. The problem is, that, from what I heard, steel springs may be even 25lbs off :|

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
I am confused a bit again.
Have anyone tried to put 350-450x3 Obtainium spring on RC4 8.75x2.75", already?
Both adapters fit? Any rubbing issues?
I tried an Obtanium 450 on a DHX 8.75x2.75 and couldn't fit both adapters. I had the original thickness Fox adapters, I hear the newer ones are thinner. It did rub a bit with only 1 adapter.