Quantcast

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Caught a nice draft off the Garmin-Chipotle mini team bus this morning. I'm going to head over to the top of the butte at lunch and watch the finish of the first stage of the Cascade Cycling Classic. I'm hoping to see some nice action with some of the big names here.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
To the dude with the folding bike at the train station this morning:

I know you are supposed to walk your bike, but guess what? I like riding. Who made you the walk your bike police? You just like telling everyone what to do? Mind your own business and STFU and take your lame ass folding bike and stick it where the sun don't shine.

:cupidarrow:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
whoa.

I had some guy on a scooter try to scold me for riding straight through the roundabout (up on the center part with a nice bunny hop off) instead of riding all the way around it. At least I think that's what he was saying, but I couldn't hear him through his full face helmet over the whine of his little 50cc scooter. Whatever old dude.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Yesterday I had a meeting at our downtown and office and then another meeting several miles away, so I hoped on my bike and took off; I was in the parking garage and a meter maid stopped me and scolded me for speeding.....I looked around and said: "how would I know if I was speeding, I don't have a speedometer?" He said it was apparent that I was speeding and I needed to adhere to the 10 mph limit :crazy:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Yesterday I had a meeting at our downtown and office and then another meeting several miles away, so I hoped on my bike and took off; I was in the parking garage and a meter maid stopped me and scolded me for speeding.....I looked around and said: "how would I know if I was speeding, I don't have a speedometer?" He said it was apparent that I was speeding and I needed to adhere to the 10 mph limit :crazy:
you should start up tue nite crits there. since hay bales may be hard to come by, use some homeless on the turns. they're well-padded.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
you should start up tue nite crits there. since hay bales may be hard to come by, use some homeless on the turns. they're well-padded.
The people are well padded, its all of the glass bottles that scare me

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I saw a bag of weed in the gutter on my commute the other day. I kept on riding but wished I stopped.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
About 7 miles into my commute this morning, I hit a bump on the trail...nothing big...just normal for this particular trail.

Snapped my Thomson Masterpiece seatpost in half (not exactly in half...more like 2 inches above the minimum insertion depth). Right where it goes into the seattube...

It served me well for 3 years...I suppose I got my money's worth...

Had to ride another 6 miles standing up to the nearest shop which opens early (YYYAAAAAY!!!) for a new post. They didn't have any Thomson posts in the size I needed (I would've gone with the standard ...not the masterpiece again...) so I bought a cheaper boat anchor...not that I'm worried about an extra 400 grams on that bike.

The regular Thomson's on my DH and FR/XC bikes are doing spectacular after 3 years, FWIW.

Good times...good times...

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Last night on my way home, I was accelerating off a stop sign and something felt funny, the bike felt noodley. I stop and look, flat tire maybe? Turns out my rear quick release was way loose and the wheel could have been close to falling out of the drop outs. Never had that happen before.

Also, there was a fire on the MUP I take, small grass fire. The cool mist from the fire hoses helped in the 97 degree heat. :)

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I was riding home from work a couple days ago and my tire kicked up a rock that hit some guys dog. We are talking a rock about the size of a pea. The guy threatened to kick my ass. I asked him if kicking someones ass over a tiny rock was really worth it? Damn old redneck didn't think I was going to stop. About a mile later I am going through an area with road construction so I had to move into the road briefly. Another redneck pulls right next to me and put his truck in neutral and revved the engine up three times, then sped off. I'm not sure what that meant.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I was riding home from work a couple days ago and my tire kicked up a rock that hit some guys dog. We are talking a rock about the size of a pea. The guy threatened to kick my ass. I asked him if kicking someones ass over a tiny rock was really worth it? Damn old redneck didn't think I was going to stop. About a mile later I am going through an area with road construction so I had to move into the road briefly. Another redneck pulls right next to me and put his truck in neutral and revved the engine up three times, then sped off. I'm not sure what that meant.
Damn, you have some real d*cks around there. Most of the people out in the country wave to me, the biggest jerks I find are on my ride home from work.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
so with the influx of commuters, i find myself touching the nastiest ****ing seats on earth now, and dealing with the worst smelling customers. it's to the point now that i don't even hesitate to put on glove before helping some customers out. i had a guy last Saturday drip sweat onto my hands while standing all up in my space as I was fixing his bike. I was almost insulted. seriously, what the ****?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
On the ride home yesterday...

I was going down the largest hill on my ride home, doing about 30 on a city street...all of a sudden this cat cuts a 45 degree angle from the opposing side!! Crap! So I start to slow down...cat slows down...I speed up...cat speeds up!!!!!! I'm gonna die. Had no choice...tried to bunny hop him...mis-timed it and ended up gettin' him right in front of his hind legs with my rear wheel mid-stride...so it wasn't as bad as it could've been...

I looked back and he was already up and running again...

Scared the absolute crap outta me...I thought I was going to have one of those TdF bails that gouges 30% of my skin off....

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
I'm going to begin commuting to school here in a few weeks, and ill be doing it on my 'Cross bike, its a Redline Conquest, and unfortunately it doesn't have the rear mounts for a rack or pannier. I'm looking for a good bag to wear, previously I've just used a backpack but it just isn't comfortable when riding the 10 miles to my school. I generally have quite a few books/binders that are necessary, and my bags tend to get overstuffed. I had the opportunity to try on one of the chrome messenger bags, and i found it really comfortable and was surprised at how well it stayed centered on my back, although i am unsure of what will happen when i load one of these messenger bags down with a decent load of papers and books, will it stay centered on my back? Or will it slip down to my side and make riding awkward? I am usually required to bring 3 to 4 one inch binders, as well as 2 good sized books for my A.P. Lit class, are these bags comfortable loaded down?
I am looking at this one
http://www.chromebags.com/products/bags/show/13/
i don't know of too many company's that make good messenger bags, i got to meet the guys from chrome and try on their bags at the Downieville classic a few weeks ago, other than that i don't know of any so if you folks have any other companies that you would recommend that would be great.
Thanks for the help!
-ES

STPIZZAY

Chimp
Nov 22, 2007
Sacramento
On second thought, perhaps that messenger bag is to small for what I'm planning on using it for, i think I'd be better off with a backpack more suited to the larger loads I'm planning on carrying. Does anyone recommend a maker of decent backpacks for commuting or biking?

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Why are there so many red neck butt nuggets?

Some dude in an F350 was at a stop sign with me approaching (no stop for me). Right when I got to him he gunned the motor and sprung forward, hitting the brakes right away. I saw the **** kicker grin on his face as I half started to take fighter pilot evasive maneuvers. Scared the crap out of me, which I am sure was his idea all along.

Needless to say I wanted to beat the guy to a pulp, but he turned the other way. Good thing since I'm a buck fifty so its best if I don't let my mouth write checks my butt can't cash.

Grrrr!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
get the plates. you'd get him for at least 1st degree felony menacing, and he'd have to carpool to tractor pulls.

this prick sounds like he's from morrisson, driving home from his c-shift sweeping floors at his ex-father-in-law's machine shop.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Four officers of teh bylaw were doing radar on the pathway this AM. The roadies always get their asses handed to them as tickets are handed out for no bell, no speedometer, no reflectors, no white front light and no red rear light after nailing your azz for doing 25 in the 12.

I wish they'd hand tickets to pedestrians, but I guess "being retarded" wouldnt hold up as a charge in court...

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I wish they'd hand tickets to pedestrians, but I guess "being retarded" wouldnt hold up as a charge in court...
I wish they'd ticket cars for not blinking.....nothing pisses me off more than people turning suddenly without blinking :rant:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
true; i wish i could "kill -9" (or "SIGTERM" for those of you from florida)

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Ok I have to rant again, but I will start with some good stuff. I broke 500 miles commuting so far, since about the middle of May. I have lost about 6 or 7 lbs (which I needed to do) and am also using my long ride home for tempo and interval training for CX. I really enjoy it! :)

Now, for a RANT about MUP's and the idiot pedestrians who use them. I know, don't use an MUP if you don't like dealing with them. I deal with the normal idiocy fine, its the special cases that just get me broiling. :)

Riding along minding my own business this morning I come across the Old lady dog walkers. Two of them, the Homosapiens walking side by side in the middle of the trail, one canine leashed walking on the right, and one canine leashed on the left. Obviously I cannot pass at all. So I roll up and slow down to walking speed.

I say "Excuse me" and one lady jumps and about has a heart attack.

Then she gets snippy "You really need to get a bell so you can let people know you are coming from farther away!" in an angry voice.

I told her "And you need to not get all pissy about it!" Her reply was left in the dust as I pedaled on.

Not a quarter mile later, and senior type old dude was jogging in the opposite direction. No sweat we were both on our respective sides of the trail. I come up on him, and he says to me "You need to slow down"! My god, what is this PMS day??? I was doing 18 to 20 mph, but it's not crowded.

Show a little awareness of your surroundings you mouth breathing slugs. Oh, and please write one of your letters to the newspaper about how bikers are all jerks and how they need to banned from the trails. I will look for that article right under the one that the car driver wrote about keeping bikes on the sidewalk where they belong.

:rant:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Now, for a RANT about MUP's and the idiot pedestrians who use them. I know, don't use an MUP if you don't like dealing with them. I deal with the normal idiocy fine, its the special cases that just get me broiling. :)

Show a little awareness of your surroundings you mouth breathing slugs. Oh, and please write one of your letters to the newspaper about how bikers are all jerks and how they need to banned from the trails. I will look for that article right under the one that the car driver wrote about keeping bikes on the sidewalk where they belong.
while i agree & have experienced exactly what you did, if you did have a bell you would have absolute moral authority over the trail hogs, who no doubt believe their rights usurp yours categorically. (MUP apparently means "as long as we never see bikes, they can use it").

i bet you'll never have this confrontation w/ these people again. it'll be another replaceable set until the end of your commuting days. oh, and don't forget that denver just outlawed carrying urine & feces, so your options for dealing w/ the general public just got further restricted.

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
while i agree & have experienced exactly what you did, if you did have a bell you would have absolute moral authority over the trail hogs, who no doubt believe their rights usurp yours categorically. (MUP apparently means "as long as we never see bikes, they can use it").

i bet you'll never have this confrontation w/ these people again. it'll be another replaceable set until the end of your commuting days. oh, and don't forget that denver just outlawed carrying urine & feces, so your options for dealing w/ the general public just got further restricted.
I have thought about the bell thing, I just think that dinging a bell can be considered rude as well.

Im just going to put a Barry Bonds basball card in my spokes. Brrrrraaaaap!

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have thought about the bell thing, I just think that dinging a bell can be considered rude as well.

Nah, you just need to yell really loud: "Get the f*ck out of the way!!!!"

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB

I ring the bejesus out of my bell. Rude or not, it's accepted and expected on the pathways (and is actually law here). Some people get no rings, some get one, some get several.

I want one of these:Air Zound

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I ring the bejesus out of my bell. Rude or not, it's accepted and expected on the pathways (and is actually law here). Some people get no rings, some get one, some get several.

I want one of these:Air Zound
Our MUP's here are bell or voice. For me, I get a lot of people moving left when I say, "On the left." When I see them start to veer into me, it turns into, "What the f*ck?!?!? Pay attention."

I have seriously thought about that linky you put up...

I ride in traffic enough to justify it, but would prolly end up using it more on the pathways!!! HA! :biggrin:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Our MUP's here are bell or voice. For me, I get a lot of people moving left when I say, "On the left." When I see them start to veer into me, it turns into, "What the f*ck?!?!? Pay attention."

I have seriously thought about that linky you put up...

I ride in traffic enough to justify it, but would prolly end up using it more on the pathways!!! HA! :biggrin:
I'd probably end up modding it so it could shoot paintballs or something...:think: :lighten: wait, whats the ID of a handlebar again?

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Hit 2k this morning (5/1/08 - 8/20/08).... Haven't been riding on the weekends enough...also had to take a week off here and there due to mechanicals, crashes, etc...

This week is going to be mostly wet and nasty...makes for an empty trail though...gonna have to screw around with cleaning and tuning this weekend for sure since I refuse to put on panniers. Fashion over Function.

I've also come to realize that I really need a new bike that actually fits me. But that'll have to wait. sigh.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
2k. dude. you need to move closer.

i hit 410 miles over the same period, roughly, just yesterday. then again i live 1.3ish miles from work. this next 4 weeks will see about no riding, since the (different) hospital is further and my hours are such that i can ride the bus -- an electric trolley, no less! -- each way.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
2k. dude. you need to move closer.

i hit 410 miles over the same period, roughly, just yesterday. then again i live 1.3ish miles from work. this next 4 weeks will see about no riding, since the (different) hospital is further and my hours are such that i can ride the bus -- an electric trolley, no less! -- each way.
Meh...I like the commute for the most part. It takes the same amount of time as the bus and 35 miles a day is a good work out. Now I just gotta get myself some foul weather gear.