Quantcast

Official e.13 taco has arrived

ufdff15

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Central Massachusetts
I run a LG1 with a taco on my trail bike, earlier this year the taco took a big hit from a flying rock which ripped out 2 iscg bolts and bent another one. But this is not any way the guides fault it was my fault for having the smallest bolts installed.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
keep in mind you can run your ISCG bolts not cranked all the way down, so under a hard enough impact the guide will slide up and you can finish your run and re-adjust it after.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Looks good!

I was wondering how dw was going to design one of these - it would be unlike him and e.thirteen to just halve the molds of a Supercharger...

Fras - how much does Taco weigh?

Well done dw!

EDIT: As far as the whole "I'm worried about my ISCG tabs" thing is concerned - I'm pretty sure dw said that if the frame manufacturer welded them on properly, they won't snap off. I'm also pretty sure he said that the bolts are designed to shear before the tabs snap... (I could be wrong on this, so maybe dw might chime in if I'm a bit off)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I got to see MRP's version of this at interbike, Looks extremly simular to E13 taco. Very simple very effective, very light and Still in need of some refinement for strength But its simple enough that it wont tear up the ISCG mounts. Currently its ISCG only, but MRP is making a stamping to make it work for ISCG and BB Mounting, Or like my E13 Drs i have, And love, But it can use both Iscg and BB Mounting, Making it not turn at all, and be very structurally sound!!!! I am guessing that E13 already knows this, and will be making mounts accordingly that will hold up to hits bumps and crashes. I want to see E13's complete kit. Hopefully someone will post it soon

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
All LG1s now shipping to distributors INCLUDE a production taco. Pricing for aftermarket LG1 sales will not change. If you want to buy one seperately, it costs the same as a supercharger.

Weight is about 68g with mounting hardware, but I haven't verified.

Oh, and the fun should begin soon...e.13 has a patent on the system. Direct mounting the taco to the backplate is e.13 intellectual property. Let the games begin.

Intro piece is up. Review soon as i take it riding tomorrow. If I don't notice it, then everything will be well in the world.
http://www.transcendmagazine.com/archives/2007/09/e13_lg1_taco.html

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Oh, and the fun should begin soon...e.13 has a patent on the direct for the system. Direct mounting the taco to the backplate is e.13 intellectual property. Let the games begin.
Roflcopter. I wonder if that will hold up! Especially since there are timestamped images all over the internet of homemade versions.....Although I have no idea if that actually means anything in court :'(

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Roflcopter. I wonder if that will hold up! Especially since there are timestamped images all over the internet of homemade versions.....Although I have no idea if that actually means anything in court :'(
Frasier is indirectly referring to the latest mrp ripoff

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
I wonder if that will hold up! Especially since there are timestamped images all over the internet of homemade versions.....Although I have no idea if that actually means anything in court :'(
well, my guess is that Dave applied for a patent before he put out the LG-1 plate with the two "mounting holes". as long as he applied for the patent before the "timestamped images" showed up, he's fine. :bonk:

Roflcopter.
what are you, 12? :disgust:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
P.S. i heard knapps is destroyed now. Confirm/deny?
I've heard from several sources the Knapps, or at least part of it, got plowed. So did Romero, the whole damn thing. The zaca lake fire lead to a lot of bulldozing along the ridge...it sucks but its also an opportunity ;)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Prior art ony comes into play if you are selling a product at the time that the "time stamped photos" were taken. Dave will have applied for these patents months and months ago, probably before the 2 mounting holes were added to the design, ie: prior to the first LG1 sale.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
well, my guess is that Dave applied for a patent before he put out the LG-1 plate with the two "mounting holes". as long as he applied for the patent before the "timestamped images" showed up, he's fine. :bonk:

what are you, 12? :disgust:
12? Noob. But unfortunately that is a rather popular pro forum slang :'(. Get with the times... I was just bringing up a point, and again, i know nothing of patent law, only logic. But that would be pretty "dang" stupid if they get a monopoly on "tacos"

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
12? Noob. But unfortunately that is a rather popular pro forum slang :'(. Get with the times... I was just bringing up a point, and again, i know nothing of patent law, only logic. But that would be pretty "dang" stupid if they get a monopoly on "tacos"
It isn't the bashguard they would be patenting, it would be the mounting system. It wouldn't be stupid at all, itwould be incredibly smar. Business is all about exclusivity. If they didn't do it, someone else would. You have to protext your investments.

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Can DW or Transcend specify the patent... patent #? Working around patents it something that everyone does. I'm not quite sure how you can patent a flat piece of metal/ carbon cut into a design.
My design is still diferent because there are NO mounting bolts for the bash because it is completely intergrated. The fact that there are NO bolts is a completely different design and I could patent that. But then again its just a flat piece of carbon cut into a design...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Can DW or Transcend specify the patent... patent #? Working around patents it something that everyone does. I'm not quite sure how you can patent a flat piece of metal/ carbon cut into a design.
My design is still diferent because there are NO mounting bolts for the bash because it is completely intergrated. The fact that there are NO bolts is a completely different design and I could patent that. But then again its just a flat piece of carbon cut into a design...

You'll have to talk to DW. It isn't my business and I have no idea. DW has way too many patents to even speculate!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Tobler has already advised me that I am one of the select few who should steer clear of this thing. I have a bit of a rep for doing ugly, nasty things to bike parts.

And believe me...it's not a crack on the product. It's just certain laws of physics don't like me as much as the other 95% of riders.

I'm sticking with the SRS...just b/c I like how cozy my sprocket and chain are behind it.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Tobler has already advised me that I am one of the select few who should steer clear of this thing. I have a bit of a rep for doing ugly, nasty things to bike parts.

And believe me...it's not a crack on the product. It's just certain laws of physics don't like me as much as the other 95% of riders.

I'm sticking with the SRS...just b/c I like how cozy my sprocket and chain are behind it.
Butch, the Human Plow

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
It isn't the bashguard they would be patenting, it would be the mounting system. It wouldn't be stupid at all, itwould be incredibly smar. Business is all about exclusivity. If they didn't do it, someone else would. You have to protext your investments.
Just so you know, the MRP Mounts are abdsolutly differnt than this one. They are presenting theres for Use with a Triple setup, but i am sure it will also be setup for use with a guide as well. I think its cool that E13 and Mrp are both pushing each other in this particular feild, means We are going to end up with some really good products available, Oh, and to make it clear, My personal preference is Any of the E13 products over Mrp anyday. Setup, Maintanance and care is much easier.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Sorry, I wasn't being clear, yes of course it'd be smart for them. I meant from the perspective of a consumer. e-13 would be stupid not to try to patent everything they could think up. I'm sure that what they and every company does.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
any ways, if it is because of the taco mountain holes, does it matter in the patent that the wholes of each guide have different hole locations? I mean in the e 13, the mountain holes resemble those of a crank, do the mrp ones do the same? than that be a real copy

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I understand that. I didn't hit it that hard though. The chain and chainring hit rocks several times on the same section of trail when I was at Keystone. Never had a problem with the chain and chainring and didn't notice the chainguide being messed up until later. I don't know if it hit one of the times when I hit the chainring on the rocks or not. I can't recall a moment when I hit the chainguide.
Must be a feature of the FRO model: less weld = less weight.
I smacked the crap out of taco on my Sunday, and it never whimpered...

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Must be a feature of the FRO model: less weld = less weight.
I smacked the crap out of taco on my Sunday, and it never whimpered...
Take a look at different frames. The mfg and attachment of ISCG tabs varies a lot between brands. DHR has the tabs as part of the bb shell...machined from the same piece. The Sunday is a forged part that is welded to the bb shell. Nicolai uses a machined piece that is bolted on...

There is of course the differences between ISCG and ISCG 05..

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV

How do you know what has been applied for in the e.thirteen patent applications? The answer is you don't. Anything that you build is purely at your own risk until you know exactly what has been applied for.

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I don't think you can look up provisional patents.

I would be interested to see the novelty in the patent. MRP / Mr dirt had fixed rear and front rotating bashy systems long before e13 got on the scene.

In fact you could run the mr dirt guide without a front guard and it would still work fine because the chain was held inside the top and bottom guides.

The patent would have to be attaching a plastic guard to a metal backing plate. You could get around it by making a full plastic backing plate like the blackspire guides.

Anyway, unless e13 guaranteed the LG-1 will not rip off my frame tabs i wouldn't run one to save a few grams.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So you'd prefer to destroy spider after spider then? Also, it'd be up to your frame manufactiurer to follow the ISCG 05 specs, not e.13.
Man, how do you guys destroy spiders? I don't think i've ever even seen that before! What do you just run your bike into a brick wall, bashguard first?