Quantcast

Ohhh the new Saint brakes....Maybe :-)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
don't look drastically different than the current ones... first difference i noticed was the return of backloading brake pads (THANK GOODNESS!!!). also, 2 bolts holding the caliper together, not 4.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I like it very much. I only hope they wont change the lever feel. With a proper bleed current saits feel pretty sweet.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Interesting. They appear to be lighter, and that top loading design looks ripe for one of their heatsink pad set ups. Hopefully the lever gets less plastic as well.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I'd be willing to bet there are ceramic pistons in there.

*edit

Actually if you look closely you can see that there are ceramic pistons. Neat.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Interesting. They appear to be lighter, and that top loading design looks ripe for one of their heatsink pad set ups. Hopefully the lever gets less plastic as well.
that'd be cool. also worth noting the first gen saint calipers had backloading brake pads as well.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Hopefully the new pads will trickle down to the new saints, plus top loading pads make for cooler brakes, heat flies right through. Looks lighter as well with less bolts on it.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Still looks like an early prototype. There is alot of material that can be milled away.
Definitely an early version. Shimano usually machines their protos (cheaper, easier to make changes) and forges the final product. Personally, I've always liked the look of the protos better.

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
Siiiiiick!
Wonder it have moar powaaaa than the previous version? If they can get the modulation to work ideally, any additional power would be easily controllable.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Moar feel would be moar important than moar power IMO. Hope they have XTR levers too. Would be sick. I wonder if one piece caliper is on the cards. Trick, I'm getting a front caliper for my XTRs for sure.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Just had a thought(without much thought as always), if they did one piece they could have and allen key on the piston caps you could wind in for pad contact adjust. Feel free to use that Shimanno, I just want a lifetime supply of brakes and pads.

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
Just had a thought(without much thought as always), if they did one piece they could have and allen key on the piston caps you could wind in for pad contact adjust. Feel free to use that Shimanno, I just want a lifetime supply of brakes and pads.
Would they automatically adjust when you use the e-brake too?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Half thinking again, they could have two chambers, with a rubber diaphram, so one side pushes the other, but the other side could be adjusted in size.
They'd need a piston there with a travel stop.
Wait, that won't work, the smaller chamber would need an air bladder also for heat expansion.
I'm going to have a coffee and come back to it.

Last edited:

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
Hmm, they'd have to have a two part piston at the caliper with a screw that separates the two parts making the piston in effect thicker, and therefore pushing pads further out.
Would mean more room for seal failures but as you'd need O'rings to seal adjuster screw passing through fluid.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
How does Formulas FCS system get away with working on the line? I know it makes the line shorter/longer therefore adding/subtracting fluid in effect, but how come it doesn't auto adjust?

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I cant understand why everyone hates the old levers. They are long (which is good) and have a nice feel to them. The bite adjust does work like crap but what makes you think it will work better in the XTRs?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I cant understand why everyone hates the old levers. They are long (which is good) and have a nice feel to them. The bite adjust does work like crap but what makes you think it will work better in the XTRs?
Consistency/bleed issues more than anything else I think. When they're working as intended, they're absolutely brilliant, but they do always have a really long throw too.

Edit: really, really hope these have the cooling finned pads...

Last edited:

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
Not that you need them with Saints.

Had some problems with dirt in the servowave mechanics of my Saint levers.
My front brake lever got stuck in the outermost position several times.
And I think they should have added a seal/diaphragm between the piston push rod and the housing of the levers. Because dirt can enter there and the piston seal is running on dirty surface then plus dirt is contaminating the brake fluid this way.

Had this problem in Morzine, where we rode in absolutely ****ty wheater conditions for full two weeks.
Bled the brakes with fresh fluid before we went there, noticed grey fluid when I opened the reservoir after half a week riding in mud.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Consistency/bleed issues more than anything else I think. When they're working as intended, they're absolutely brilliant, but they do always have a really long throw too.

I may not be complaining about that as much since i went to saints from the oros ;) The lever throw doesnt have to be that big with the proper setup, though Im suprised it changes even more with pad wear than the formulas.

btw. You really manage to overheat saints ? Im pretty sure you are faster than me and even when I was dead tired and didnt really feel it in champery (=mucho braking) they didnt boil. Never happen to me tbh but Im 74kg w/o gear so that may be a factor.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
I may not be complaining about that as much since i went to saints from the oros ;) The lever throw doesnt have to be that big with the proper setup, though Im suprised it changes even more with pad wear than the formulas.

btw. You really manage to overheat saints ? Im pretty sure you are faster than me and even when I was dead tired and didnt really feel it in champery (=mucho braking) they didnt boil. Never happen to me tbh but Im 74kg w/o gear so that may be a factor.
Yeah man, even in Australia I can do it if I'm not paying attention... there are NO brakes on the market that are hard to overheat right now IMO!

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
They're not very reliable, if you read the thread here about the XTR trail brakes there's a long list of people who had to get the Saint M810 levers warrantied multiple times. The lever throw being long and/or changing is to do with fluid slowly leaking out of the master cylinder cap.

With mine it always happened slowly so it was predictable, but still piss poor for shimano considering how reliable the previous generation of saints were.

Personally I hope they use a redesigned version of the new XT/XTR trail lever for the new one, hopefully with a longer lever blade than those though.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
these are the proto levers Gwin is using
Looks like the same resi. body with a beefed up lever. Pivot looks a little different too.

After running XTR on my trail bike for a while now, my old Saint levers feel like poo. I just put in an order for some new levers... Not sure if XT's will be available, but XTR will work fine too. ;)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Yeah man, even in Australia I can do it if I'm not paying attention... there are NO brakes on the market that are hard to overheat right now IMO!
Codes with Motul RBF 660 brake fluid. Maybe that heat dissipator pads from unex but Ive seen some heavy dudes using race brake fluids not the crap avid or other companies sell and they never had problems. One of my friends is around your weight and he gets away with racing on avid ultimates.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
Not that you need them with Saints.

Had some problems with dirt in the servowave mechanics of my Saint levers.
My front brake lever got stuck in the outermost position several times.
And I think they should have added a seal/diaphragm between the piston push rod and the housing of the levers. Because dirt can enter there and the piston seal is running on dirty surface then plus dirt is contaminating the brake fluid this way.

Had this problem in Morzine, where we rode in absolutely ****ty wheater conditions for full two weeks.
Bled the brakes with fresh fluid before we went there, noticed grey fluid when I opened the reservoir after half a week riding in mud.
The Gray Fluid is pretty normal mate. Had that many times, nothing is wrong.

How did y get the servo wave stuck? Did u crash into deep mud? never heard of this before?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Codes with Motul RBF 660 brake fluid. Maybe that heat dissipator pads from unex but Ive seen some heavy dudes using race brake fluids not the crap avid or other companies sell and they never had problems. One of my friends is around your weight and he gets away with racing on avid ultimates.
Pretty sure it's not the fluid that Socket is talking about, it's just the pads/rotors overheating and then fading/glazing. I haven't had fluid boiling/failing on any recent brake, and I don't think he has either.