Quantcast

OK, Armchair Chemists...Gorilla Tape Residue.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Whatchya got? (Title should say TAPE and not glue)
I have a very stubborn case on my carbon rims.
i have tried
Goo Gone
Goof Off
Isopropyl Alcohol
Acetone
Brake Cleaner
Parts Cleaner
Citric Acid
Paint Stripper
gasoline
white gas

Nothing even remotely touches it.
just ordered some Methylene Chloride, but I don’t wanna fuck up the carbon.
thoughts?
Try it nao?

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Wait, are we talking residues from Gorilla tape or actual Gorilla glue?

Forgot: :picsstfu:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I had some epoxy on a light I was trying to remove, let it soak in alcohol+acetone and that broke it down. I was surprised the epoxy was that easy to dissolve.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama

Used this to strip my bmx frame that had automotive paint on top of the original powdercoat. Made everything gooey, still required hand sanding/media blasting.

I am with JBP though, on metal sure.. carbon hmmm.

Ignore and tape over? Join the luddite crew and use tubes?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Bring the wheels inside and let them warm up, then soak the rim section by section in hot water to soften up the residue. Scrape the shit off with your fingernail or plastic tire lever.

Don't use chemicals.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
How much glue are we talking here?

Can you throw a sticker over it and pretend? Maybe a carbon sticker?

I'm on team, don't go introducing random chemicals trying to soften a glue that is on a structural product held together by glue.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
For a laid up carbon fiber rim, which can hurt you pretty well if it fails, I'd be very cautious about using solvents because I would not wish to screw up the bonding material.

Maybe call the rim manufacturer?
The resins used for cf require high temperatures and pressure to cure. I don't believe there's any solvents or chemicals that should drastically degrade their quality / integrity. I have a buddy that is super knowledgeable on this, I'll hit him up and report back.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
For a laid up carbon fiber rim, which can hurt you pretty well if it fails, I'd be very cautious about using solvents because I would not wish to screw up the bonding material.

Maybe call the rim manufacturer?
It is not like that roadies use carbon tubular rims for ages and remove the tub glue residues with acetone or other solvents. MTB rims should have a larger margin of error too as they most likely have more material.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
It’s so thick on there, the only thing that would ever create an airtight seal would be more Gorilla Tape. But that’s not an option for a few reasons. Gotta get it all cleaned up to reliably start fresh.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Buddy says ISO and elbow grease. What % iso are you using?

He said warm soapy water might be worth a try.

There are chemicals that can degrade carbon, but nothing that is commonly available. Methylene chloride.

vinny4130

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
albuquerque
Take a small piece of gorilla tape and press it on the residue and pull it off. The residue in small sections should stick to the tape better than the rim it will take a while but better than chemicals.