Quantcast

OK, who has drilled speedholes in their e13s bashers?

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
227
0
GNORKAL
just wondering what the properties of macrolawn are under the heat from the drillbit of a speedholin' fool? Yes I know it's hella dumb and all....but...it could be boss if executed well. What type of bit and drillspeed would be good to minimize the melt? It's probably tuff as nails.
 

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
4,861
0
Denver, Colorado
I drilled my MRP System 2 out, like every inch, or every half an inch, I would drill a 1/8 hole, and there is really no weight difference that is noticable. That is Al though, the E.13 Superchargers will probley have a different effect, weired things mess with the complexity of the material. Like spray paint breaks down the bonds, and the heat from a drill bit may do something similar.
 

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
2,944
0
MV
vitox said:
no

still sounds like a dumb idea to drill it though
Yes.

The Supercharger is lighter than 2 of the 5mm aluminum plates, and a hair heavier than 2 3mm aluminum plates. It offers a significantly greater amount of protection than either of the other options.

I serioulsy dont even consider a 3mm aluminum plate a bashguard, it just does not function as one.

Dave
 

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
2,944
0
MV
The Tuffmax polycarbonate alloy that the Superchargers are built from has less than half the density of aluminum. The mass of the bashgaurd is there to absorb energy and distribute it during a large impact. These are the types of impacts that would otherwise end your race and waste your weekend if you didn't have a bashgaurd.

If you don't need bashguard protection, a better option would be the new LG1 guide, which is completely interchangeable with the SRS, and weighs 195 grams for a 34-44T size, which is VERY light.

dw
 

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
227
0
GNORKAL
Dave, dave, my man, my hero....I don't care about weight-everyone knows speedholes are just for looks! and dorks...and me.....sometimes. I was just spilling some 3am fun. I wouldnt drill it out...I promise. I did hope to catch a story or flick, though, but now they'd be too embarrassed. BTW I just installed my e13 integrated Boxxer stem...noice!!! I recommend everyone get one! (sadly there's no extra material to drill out)

Stay up!
 

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
238
0
aMERica
forget drilling the e13. just buy a gamut p40. Its made out of the same polycarbonate material as the e13 but already drilled for weight. It weighs about half the e13 system, and is way easier to install. go to gamutusa.com to check it out.
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
SBDHrida said:
forget drilling the e13. just buy a gamut p40. Its made out of the same polycarbonate material as the e13 but already drilled for weight. It weighs about half the e13 system, and is way easier to install. go to gamutusa.com to check it out.
i highly doubt it uses the same material, as last time i heard, the formulation e13 uses is patented and not for license.
 

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
1,079
6
Scotland
No its true! I heard about them. They are just like E-13 because they are plastic. I think I will fit the gamut chain device to my new VPP Sunday bike which is just the same as my Azonic VR1 bike
 

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
2,944
0
MV
SBDHrida said:
forget drilling the e13. just buy a gamut p40. Its made out of the same polycarbonate material as the e13 but already drilled for weight. It weighs about half the e13 system, and is way easier to install. go to gamutusa.com to check it out.
1) The SRS supercharger is made from a proprietary alloy. Nobody is using ANY polycarbonate alloy that is as strong as Tuffmax.

2) The comparable sizes system weighs nowhere near half the weight of an SRS, where did you come up with that number? For 06, check out the re designed SRS. Its basically silent, light as heck, self cleans mud even better, and is still a heck of a lot stronger than most everything else. If you want real light weight in a guide that actually works, the LG1 is worth a look.

3) Seriously, if setting up an SRS is a difficulty for you, its probably best to have a shop do it. Its just about as simple as can get. There is only one way to bolt the guide together, yet it is adjustable to fit a wider variety of setups than anything in existence. The nuts are captive and don't use any tools, all adjustments are externally adjustable, and there are only 2 allen wrench sizes ( a 3 and 4) to assemble the whole guide for 06. Also, there is a new color coded spacer system included that helps fine tune chainline even more. If you have a suggestion on how to make it simpler, I am all ears. Let us know.

Dave
 

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
2,944
0
MV
klunky said:
No its true! I heard about them. They are just like E-13 because they are plastic. I think I will fit the gamut chain device to my new VPP Sunday bike which is just the same as my Azonic VR1 bike
AAHAHAHA Nice
 

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
4,627
0
Lynnwood, WA
dw said:
1) The SRS supercharger is made from a proprietary alloy. Nobody is using ANY polycarbonate alloy that is as strong as Tuffmax.

2) The comparable sizes system weighs nowhere near half the weight of an SRS, where did you come up with that number? For 06, check out the re designed SRS. Its basically silent, light as heck, self cleans mud even better, and is still a heck of a lot stronger than most everything else. If you want real light weight in a guide that actually works, the LG1 is worth a look.

3) Seriously, if setting up an SRS is a difficulty for you, its probably best to have a shop do it. Its just about as simple as can get. There is only one way to bolt the guide together, yet it is adjustable to fit a wider variety of setups than anything in existence. The nuts are captive and don't use any tools, all adjustments are externally adjustable, and there are only 2 allen wrench sizes ( a 3 and 4) to assemble the whole guide for 06. Also, there is a new color coded spacer system included that helps fine tune chainline even more. If you have a suggestion on how to make it simpler, I am all ears. Let us know.

Dave
Dave, just one question.

Who the hell decided to call that stuff "Tuffmax"?

:D

Sounds like the name for a Tonka Toy dump truck. haha ;)
 

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
1,086
1
Sydney, Australia
This guy isn't banned yet?
Hey Luke, take a look at the world around you, if it wasn't for "nerds", you'd still be living in rather primitive times. Step away from the computer, turn off the TV, don't bother cooking your food, forget about any modern technology and think "wow, all those guys are nerds, but I'm so cool that I don't to rely on nerds", then go hunt some wild animals and eat them raw.
 

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
2,241
0
Ballard 4 life.
STINKYLUKE said:
all you guys are nerds
:think: you have a sense of humor right? Do you have anything to add to the conversation/ acquisition of knowledge? If not, then go somewhere else, make yourself useful, and stop dragging everyone else into your state of depression.
 

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
548
6
Salt Lake City, UT
What happened to the original question? Did we ever get an answer? I've been drilling holes in aluminum bash plates for years and if you drill them in the right places they only weaken them a bit.

I also have an E13 DRS on my IH 7.7, but I have been using a lighter aluminun bash ring to save weight. After all, I pedal this bike up some big mountains. If I can save weight somewhere I will. When I get back from Interbike I'll do some drilling on my E13 b-ring and then see if I notice much durability difference.

It probably comes down to what kind of a rider you are. If you smash a lot of rocks you may want to leave things as they are, but if you have a bit of finese and understand that nothing lasts forever you will probably be able to trim some weight off the b-ring with little problems.
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
go-ride.com said:
What happened to the original question? Did we ever get an answer? I've been drilling holes in aluminum bash plates for years and if you drill them in the right places they only weaken them a bit.

I also have an E13 DRS on my IH 7.7, but I have been using a lighter aluminun bash ring to save weight. After all, I pedal this bike up some big mountains. If I can save weight somewhere I will. When I get back from Interbike I'll do some drilling on my E13 b-ring and then see if I notice much durability difference.

It probably comes down to what kind of a rider you are. If you smash a lot of rocks you may want to leave things as they are, but if you have a bit of finese and understand that nothing lasts forever you will probably be able to trim some weight off the b-ring with little problems.


i think the prob with drilling it would be that the pc bashguard deforms when absorbing impacts and this wuold probably not go well with a hole treatment.
 

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
2,939
1
Santiago du Chili
dw said:
Yes.

The Supercharger is lighter than 2 of the 5mm aluminum plates, and a hair heavier than 2 3mm aluminum plates. It offers a significantly greater amount of protection than either of the other options.

I serioulsy dont even consider a 3mm aluminum plate a bashguard, it just does not function as one.

Dave

ah that i know, i just replied according to the part where the guy used singular in "a comparable guard" (actually he wrote "gaurd")
 

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
1,033
0
Santa Cruz
dw said:
1) The SRS supercharger is made from a proprietary alloy. Nobody is using ANY polycarbonate alloy that is as strong as Tuffmax.

2) The comparable sizes system weighs nowhere near half the weight of an SRS, where did you come up with that number? For 06, check out the re designed SRS. Its basically silent, light as heck, self cleans mud even better, and is still a heck of a lot stronger than most everything else. If you want real light weight in a guide that actually works, the LG1 is worth a look.
I heard the "half" thing somewhere too. Whatever. The Gamut is light (~250g). And it has a bashguard unlike the LG1, one that was strong enough to survive the Norba DH races by Gamut riders and all the ride time I've put on mine at Mammoth, Whistler, etc.

3) Seriously, if setting up an SRS is a difficulty for you, its probably best to have a shop do it. Its just about as simple as can get. There is only one way to bolt the guide together, yet it is adjustable to fit a wider variety of setups than anything in existence. The nuts are captive and don't use any tools, all adjustments are externally adjustable, and there are only 2 allen wrench sizes ( a 3 and 4) to assemble the whole guide for 06. Also, there is a new color coded spacer system included that helps fine tune chainline even more. If you have a suggestion on how to make it simpler, I am all ears. Let us know.

Dave
The're the same to install, the devices are very similar in design, except the Gamuts lack the little slidie dilly on the top guide.
 
Sep 10, 2001
834
0
I have to agree with Fraiser..... E-13 guide is so easy to install... Even easier if you read the instructions... It was to have a chain guide that didn't require a trip to Home Depot to finish getting the thing mounted and working. It will be hard to get me to switch....

Brian
 

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
1,456
10
What happens when your precious speedholes get filled with mud? Believe me, i'm all for lightening up my race bike, my gemini dh 38lbs now, but some of these ideas are mindboggling to me :confused: I'm beginning to believe that some of you only do this to achieve the mental security that "this will make me go faster".
 

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
18,045
0
Towing the party line.
black noise said:
I heard the "half" thing somewhere too. Whatever. The Gamut is light (~250g). And it has a bashguard unlike the LG1, one that was strong enough to survive the Norba DH races by Gamut riders and all the ride time I've put on mine at Mammoth, Whistler, etc.

The're the same to install, the devices are very similar in design, except the Gamuts lack the little slidie dilly on the top guide.

The LG1 bashguard is pretty much exactly where you need a bashguard....Last timei checked, you didn't hit your bashguard on top of the ring or behind your calf.
 

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
2,052
0
alex. va. usa.
its not my bike. its just a pic i found n a trials site that i chat on

fulton drilling the rims is a common practice in the trials community. we also grind the brake surface of the rim. as for drilling the rim most people use a 18-25mm bit and put the hole inbetween the spoke holes

like this (ithis rims comes like this from the factory)
 

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
8,933
0
Montgomery county MD
Sir_Crackien said:
its not my bike. its just a pic i found n a trials site that i chat on

fulton drilling the rims is a common practice in the trials community. we also grind the brake surface of the rim. as for drilling the rim most people use a 18-25mm bit and put the hole inbetween the spoke holes

like this (ithis rims comes like this from the factory)

Why do you drill rims like that? Weight? doesnt it detract from the integrity of the rim?

And since when are you a trials rider?
 

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
516
0
Headed to the lift...
For trials you do not need the super beefy rims. You do want a very wide rim to give you a good contact patch with your tire. So you take wide rims and drill them out to drop the weight. If there are any riders that know how to use a drill it is trials riders. They will drill anything. The only thing I have not seen a trials rider take a drill to is the chain.