Quantcast

OK, who has drilled speedholes in their e13s bashers?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I finally got an LG1 and both a 36 and 34t ring to experiment with on the Enduro. Gonna mount them probably this weekend at the soonest. Should be fun and most importantly SIMPLE! I wonder if Shimano is offering a right-side-only new XTR pod because that would be peeeyimp.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
drill as many as you can...as fast as you can.
they aren't speed holes unless you doo it really fast.....and make sure some of the holes cross each other, you will get less resistance if air acn pass through in different directions.
This is a wind tunnel-proven scientific fact!

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
I just got the real weight of some guides....
LG1=240g, plus 24g for the iscg adaptor
old style DRS, 36t max, with all bolts, including 5 chainring bolts = 455g plus 24g for the iscg adaptor.
Gamut g45=240g for the flange mount boomerang and alloy guide plate.
Gamut p40=272g flange mount boomerang and plastic bash guard.

z

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
I finally got an LG1 and both a 36 and 34t ring to experiment with on the Enduro. Gonna mount them probably this weekend at the soonest. Should be fun and most importantly SIMPLE! I wonder if Shimano is offering a right-side-only new XTR pod because that would be peeeyimp.
Took you long enough. Way to revive an old thread.

FWIW - I'm running a 34 on mine, but the way the enduro chainstay drops so low, I actually had to dremel the ISCG holes on the c-guide a bit to allow more rotation (in addition to trimming the plastic back plate for the lower roller).

With a 36 I didn't have this issue, but the 34 kept rubbing the chain on the cs.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Took you long enough. Way to revive an old thread.

FWIW - I'm running a 34 on mine, but the way the enduro chainstay drops so low, I actually had to dremel the ISCG holes on the c-guide a bit to allow more rotation (in addition to trimming the plastic back plate for the lower roller).

With a 36 I didn't have this issue, but the 34 kept rubbing the chain on the cs.
Luckily I'm handy with the Dremel but I think I'll just run the 36 anyway.These days though a 36 is a full-on DH sized ring so maybe the 34 will be kosher huh?! That's why I bought both, so I can play with it and see waht works for all-around riding....

When you and Thiel coming up to ride UCSC dooood? I'm not gonna lie, the dirt is pretty much retarded right now!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I just got the real weight of some guides....
LG1=240g, plus 24g for the iscg adaptor
old style DRS, 36t max, with all bolts, including 5 chainring bolts = 455g plus 24g for the iscg adaptor.
Gamut g45=240g for the flange mount boomerang and alloy guide plate.
Gamut p40=272g flange mount boomerang and plastic bash guard.

z
Not sure where you got your LG1 weight, but its high by 40 something grams.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
When you and Thiel coming up to ride UCSC dooood? I'm not gonna lie, the dirt is pretty much retarded right now!
I've been talkin about heading down there.. I'm in the bay area now btw. Thiel actually got transferred to Dallas F'in Texas. Really.

It's only temporary though. He's gonna be back visiting in January sometime. Also, he finally ponied up for a new bike(s). The rocky mtn quit so he got a vp-free that he was loving till he moved. Then just recently he bought a Giant Reign for a trail bike. (he also bought a road bike.. but that's a whole nother issue).

Since he's in TX, I pulled his DHX off his vp-free and am running it on my enduro :D . I also replaced the Pike with a 36 vanilla, which is a sick fork. Much taller, a little heavier, but it feels almost like a downhill bike.

I still like my downhill bike better. Life sucks I guess. Among my roomate and I, there are 14 bikes in my house/garage. All of which could be somebodies dream bike. That includes thiels chopper and vp. I'm well balanced with a IF/campy record road bike, cafe/burrito lugged road bike, enduro, sunday, bianchi steel xc, siiiick steel ss (like 18 lbs), and two pixies.

Only thing that could be better would be if I could fit my truck in my garage. Someday.

I'll be heading down to SC again soon. My roomate is from there, we just need to make the trip. I've been spending a lot of time in Tahoe/Auburn and Marin. If your ever down for either of those, let me know.

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
I have 2 LG1 guides here, one is 225g, one is 229g, not including the iscg bolts, 11g for the 3 bolts. weighed on a Nexxus Aloxxi Chroma KD-160 digital scale. Maybe my scale is off by 40grams?
z

siege

Monkey
Sep 30, 2006
kapolei, Hi
Those seem really nice. I dont really care for the clunky supercharger/dirt collector. Is there any way to quiet down the e-13 srs?

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
Not sure where you got your LG1 weight, but its high by 40 something grams.
I think maybe the LG1 you have is the secret factory one, with the speed holes? I triple checked the 2 that I have here, and they are 40 grams over. Is there a new lighter LG1 out? I have the first versions from when they just came out...

z

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I think maybe the LG1 you have is the secret factory one, with the speed holes? I triple checked the 2 that I have here, and they are 40 grams over. Is there a new lighter LG1 out? I have the first versions from when they just came out...

z
My LG-1 is 231g. Its ISCG-old. Based on the other guide I weighed that was ISCG-05, the backplate was lighter so i'm guessing that the ISCG-05 is lighter than the ISCG-old.:twitch:

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
My LG-1 is 231g. Its ISCG-old. Based on the other guide I weighed that was ISCG-05, the backplate was lighter so i'm guessing that the ISCG-05 is lighter than the ISCG-old.:twitch:
that sounds right, less material. but then the adaptor is bigger, did your 05 come with the flange mount adaptor? trying to figure out the lightest combo available for my new bike, that I don't have yet... so far the lightest I have seen is the gamut, with the lg1 being pretty close. I know we're splitting grams, but that's part of the fun for me. I have not had the '05 iscg gamut on a scale yet, that must be lighter too. If I get the commencal I guess this won't matter, I'll just use the stock guide.

z

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
that sounds right, less material. but then the adaptor is bigger, did your 05 come with the flange mount adaptor? trying to figure out the lightest combo available for my new bike, that I don't have yet... so far the lightest I have seen is the gamut, with the lg1 being pretty close. I know we're splitting grams, but that's part of the fun for me. I have not had the '05 iscg gamut on a scale yet, that must be lighter too. If I get the commencal I guess this won't matter, I'll just use the stock guide.

z

The LG1 is absolutely, positively, the lightest chainguide on the market. The 40t gamuts product does not even come close in terms of weight. I have every chain guide produict that I know of in the entire world here in the lab, and have weighed them all on the same scale to verify.

In my opinion, weight isd the last thing you shoud be caring about with your chain guide anyways. If the guide works, that is of paramount importance. The whole drive behind building e.thirteen guides is to make product that 1) works, and 2) is light. Not the other way around like most others.

Dave

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
The LG1 is absolutely, positively, the lightest chainguide on the market. The 40t gamuts product does not even come close in terms of weight. I have every chain guide produict that I know of in the entire world here in the lab, and have weighed them all on the same scale to verify.

In my opinion, weight isd the last thing you shoud be caring about with your chain guide anyways. If the guide works, that is of paramount importance. The whole drive behind building e.thirteen guides is to make product that 1) works, and 2) is light. Not the other way around like most others.

Dave
Like I said, the LG1's I have here are 229g and 225g. The Gamut g45 is right at 227g, first time I weighed it was in the bag and with the manual. I would expect the iscg and iscg 05 Gamut G45 to be lighter than the LG1 by a few grams. I'll post weight of them soon as I get 'em. Yeah, this is fun stuff, where else are people going back and forth about the worlds lightest chain guides that still work.

z

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
When you weighed them, do you include the appropriate mounting hardware for both guides?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Dave can't you cut an e13 bash ring in half or little more than half and bolt it to the back plate of the LG1 to have bash protection? I thought that's what the holes in the new backplates are for.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
Yes you can do that.

ps- this thread makes me want to vomit...I can't believe i read it. In all honesty, i would say this:
1) drill your bashguard all you want if you don't ride and want your bike to "look neat" or just mount it on a wall or something
2) if you are going to change out a component that works flawlessly for something 35 grams lighter you are insane. Never mind 35, 100 grams will not get your from 5th to 1st place or secure you're new sponsorship with Hooters. That is my opinion anyway, gonna go vomit now.

WoodsideBS

Chimp
Dec 17, 2006
Yes you can do that.

ps- this thread makes me want to vomit...I can't believe i read it. In all honesty, i would say this:
1) drill your bashguard all you want if you don't ride and want your bike to "look neat" or just mount it on a wall or something
2) if you are going to change out a component that works flawlessly for something 35 grams lighter you are insane. Never mind 35, 100 grams will not get your from 5th to 1st place or secure you're new sponsorship with Hooters. That is my opinion anyway, gonna go vomit now.
I feel a little sick too... the reason this thread started was because someone is trying to save 35g by drilling speed holes into their E13 bash gaurd. So here we are. If 35g or even100g doesn't matter, then why would dw make the light-guide? the old E13 already works great. It is hard to stay away from the weight saving based threads. Now where's that drill?!

z

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
haha yes, you have a point...but that is just a good product.
Like DW said, first performance, then weight. They got the performance down mint...then what do you improve? Look at where you can save weight and still maintain the same performance. But ya, obviously you dont want to run stuff that makes your bike a brick, I am just saying when you are already running good/light parts, you don't need to drill micro holes in bashgaurds and hubs and seats or whatever to get better results from riding.

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
just outta curiousity.. what is the wieght of a reg. old SRS... w/ the full bashguard/aluminum back plate and that fun. Im thinking about the LG-1 because my SRS is quite old and pissed.. just the plastic guide stuff.. and its 5years old.. haha

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
well im also sure if they didnt make a new guide most people would have just kept there srs guide cause theres really nothing wrong with them.