Quantcast

Old School Rules

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That Bob Haro drawing is so where it was at: sidehack, JT stuff, Oakley Stormtrooper facemask, Bassett jersey, BMXA stuff before it was BMX Action.

I love all time periods of BMX, but that late 70's early 80's was the magic time of it all.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
My brother fished a old Bob Haro signature edition out of the trash a few months ago. Its neon green with white tires and grips, all original, drum brake, foot pegs on the forks, sticker on the bars with Bob Haros signature, the works. Its real dirty and kinda beat but still cool none the less. Next time I'm at his house I will get a full set of pics.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Dirt - very very cool stuff! Was that in BMX Today?

And yea, that's the track - I remember the first straight being long and fast as hell. I ended up crashing and pulling some muscles in my shoulder the 2nd day but had a fun time overall.

I remember Cory Unger and some guys built this big ol' double out of a pile of dirt (I'm guessing, used for the track). And then Chase Digit pulls up and jumped the hell out of it. IIRC, Clymer was going off on it too. I was siked just to clear the thing.
Hey Don, I saw this cruisin around and I forewarded the link to Chase. Maybe he will get in on the memories.

I met him last summer at the local bmx track, super cool guy, you can tell he just enjoys riding.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey Don, I saw this cruisin around and I forewarded the link to Chase. Maybe he will get in on the memories.

I met him last summer at the local bmx track, super cool guy, you can tell he just enjoys riding.
You met Chase Digit? That's so rad he's still riding. I'm sure he can murder it pretty good still too. You'll have to get him to sign on RM or at least Vintage.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Yeah I met him through Mike Gentilcore, another super cool old schooler. Mikes got a totally rediculous backyard track and they also ride Trilogy a lot.

First time I met Chase he said he had just got back on the bmx track in the spring (08) he was riding well, but when I saw him again towards the end of summer he was slaying the rythem section. Amazing progress.

I really wish I could ride with those guys more, I know I would learn so much from them, but besides that they are just cool to hang with.

You have to come to my yearly jam, its like a old school reunion.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Modern old school style and riders. They're just like when I saw team Haro @ Route 5 BMX in CT back in '88. Sick.
BMX Action Trick Team, mid 80's, Rockville BMX, a young Spike Jonze behind the counter....those were my summers

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
BMX Action Trick Team, mid 80's, Rockville BMX, a young Spike Jonze behind the counter....those were my summers
I used to mailorder some parts from Rockville - that was the shop BITD. Cool to see Spike Jonze hitting the big time with movies these days.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Modern old school style and riders. They're just like when I saw team Haro @ Route 5 BMX in CT back in '88. Sick.

http://vimeo.com/5563516
apparently they had freecoasters back in the day

here's a good post from bmxboard...
http://bmxboard.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/035992.html

D
posted 06-27-2007 07:18 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ah, the history of freecoasters......
That thing you see there is an 80's retrofit that you would thread on to an existing Suntour or Bendix coaster brake. You could twist the little knobs and convert back and forth between coaster brake and freecoaster. It worked pretty good but was heavy as hell even for then as you had the weight of the steel coaster shell, all the coaster guts, AND the freewheel deal you see there. That was the vert first "freecoaster hub". ACS also made one that called a Freetrack, which switched back and forth between freewheel and fixed gear.

The next year (1987?) ACS came out with the "RL Hub" which was the first production freecoaster hub. It worked pretty good but the rims it came with sucked for braking, and getting replacement parts for the guy was basically impossible, so by the time this guy came around (1988 or so) most guys had switched to using a regular Suntour coaster hub with the internal brake shoes removed. That eventually ate the inside of the hub up, giving you sometimes a whole 1/2 rotation of slack before the drive engaged. Someone figured out that if you put a little machined piece of steel where the internal brake shoes went, it would work a lot better. Standard made them (1992 -ish), it was called the unbrake. At the same time they made 48 hole coaster shells that would fit Suntour parts, as finding 48 hole Suntours was basically impossible. These worked kinda shady, so people would sometimes get the flanges cut off the Suntour hub and have 48 flanges welded back on. JAD made a 48 hole aluminum shell that fit OVER the existing steel shell.

Around 1994, KHE came out with their first freecoaster. It kinda sucked. They made like three or more generations, the worst of which was the Rollex, which cost like 250 and basically didn't work at all. That's why you see a lot of old school flatlanders not trusting anything that KHE puts out, at least until very recently.

Nankai's first freecoaster hub came out in 1996, the Techno Lite came out in 2000 (?) or so.

So all you freecoaster guys out there who say that this hub sucks or that hub sucks remember....its better than rummaging through the back of old bike shops around town, looking for spare coaster brake parts to cannabalize off of 16" girls bikes. I spent a good part of my bike career doing exactly that. : )

http://www.free-coaster.com/html/acs_direct_drive.html

Last edited:

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I'm waiting for coaster brakes to come back.... I'd totally rock one if it didn't have the stupid lever coming from the hub to the frame.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
A bike my brother pulled from the trash. The funny part is that he had no clue what it was, he just liked it because it was green and it was free. . . .

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
^ ^ Nice find. A couple of those pics up there remind me of the opening scene from On Any Sunday. It almost doesn't get any more old school than this!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
^ ^ Nice find. A couple of those pics up there remind me of the opening scene from On Any Sunday. It almost doesn't get any more old school than this!

That kid's stand-up pedal wheelie at the end was so pure. You could tell that riding bikes was like oxygen for him.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

$375....

according to dollartimes.com "$375.00 in 1985 had about the same buying power as $748.68 in 2009."

that's a lot for a bike with one piece cranks and mags.

when you think about it, GT must have made a killing just by painting bikes bright colors and having a superstar team.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

$375....

according to dollartimes.com "$375.00 in 1985 had about the same buying power as $748.68 in 2009."

that's a lot for a bike with one piece cranks and mags.

when you think about it, GT must have made a killing just by painting bikes bright colors and having a superstar team.
I used to lust after those GT's when I was a kid, could never affort one though. Spent hours in the bike shop drooling over them, I still remember what they smelled like.