Quantcast

Old School Rules

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
If you reversed the pattern and made spokes heads out, it might add protection to the spokes for those who like to grind and tear them up...

yep, from what i've read, this is very common (heads-out) for today's street bmx. I don't grind so it's a non-issue for me :monkey: :cheers:

flat broke

Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
Long Beach, CA
"Holk Hogan eat your heart out!!"

He was the first to backflip, right? I'm pretty sure his flip in Rad was the first flip on video.
Hmmm,

I was always under the impression that Eddie Fiola was the one doing the backflip. Ya learn somethin new every day. He used to ride up at the Point Vincente lighthouse (AKA funzone) back in the early/mid 90s. Super dope to watch him style a (for the time) huge gap on I want to say a San Andreas or some other fully with Spin or SPinergy wheels.

I remember all the old school names and seeing those mag covers brings back memories of the stacks of mags I had in and behind the drawers under my bed. When I was poking around at some vintage stuff a while back, I even found an online version of the old RL Osborne poster with the girls on each side that looked to be shot down in Redondo.
Even as a youngster (maybe 13 or so) I remember thinking that "those chicks aren't exactly hot, but the blonde's tits are nice". Man the good ol' days. A super Big gulp and a bag of chips cost less than $1.50 and if you were tight on cash, you rode the Cheng Shin Comp III knock offs instead of splurging on legit Tioga comp IIIs. Now days, you can pay more for a set of brakes for your freeride rig than you would have for a fully pimped GT Pro Series.

Anyone else have a crapy kicker ramp that they would put towards the end of the block in a dead end or cul de sac, and spend entire summer days workin that thing with the rest of the kids in the neighborhood? Or ride a mile or two with all the kids in the hood to that perfect set of driveway aprons that made a workable table you could actually boost some air off of? I hope my kids have it as good as I did.

Chris

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Good stuff, broke.

Anyone else have a crapy kicker ramp that they would put towards the end of the block in a dead end or cul de sac, and spend entire summer days workin that thing with the rest of the kids in the neighborhood?
Haha. For sure... where do you think I got my steez??? Man, I miss Old Blue...

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
Don: Great photos from "back in the day."

I'd love to get all mine together. I put some of the more "interesting" stuff up here. It's a zine from about 87/88 and a riding photo from maybe 93?

It's crazy how we learned about riding. Still photos in magazines, and the infamous "summer tours." I vividly remember seeing CW, and Haro (with Wilkerson) as well as GT/Dyno. True story: When CW arrived for their show, the shop was closed. So, my Mom (and myself of course) drove Dizz Hicks to the owner's house. A moment I'll never forget!

Seeing that beautiful JMC DY made me think about my top 3 old school rides (in no order):

1) Patterson. My last race bike. It was one of the longer bikes in it's day, and I think still looks great today.. Unfortunately mine cracked.

2) JMC DY or Patterson. Not only are they incredible looking, but Darrell Young is the Boss. He still rides and it's unbelieveable how good he is.

3) S&M Holmes. Strong, and "adult" size. I had a Redline RL-22 before that (cracked) and the Holmes with Slams was just such a better bike. Nothing goofy about it at all. Good geometry and strong with out being too heavy like a lot of the later bikes.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Hmmm,

Anyone else have a crapy kicker ramp that they would put towards the end of the block in a dead end or cul de sac, and spend entire summer days workin that thing with the rest of the kids in the neighborhood? Or ride a mile or two with all the kids in the hood to that perfect set of driveway aprons that made a workable table you could actually boost some air off of? I hope my kids have it as good as I did.
Hell, I'm 33 years old and I still do that!

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Race Lacing was awesome, GT even made a hub specifically drilled for it, I have a set on my race cruiser, which are about 20 years old and still going strong.

That JMC is better than new... makes me feel guilty about not keeping my Cyclecraft polished...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Those old decks bring back some memories. BITD, we used to street skate in between motos at a lot of the races. I remember trading a Profile cruiser frame I had that had a flared headtube for a Mike McGill deck.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Calvin - you need to pick up a copy of Animal Chin! They still sell it at the skate shops. My son watches it all the time.

Lance and Ray Barbee still skate from what I've seen on the Fuel channel. Remember all the pics of Mountain Manor. That place looked fun.

sb317

Monkey
Sep 6, 2005
North Carolina
Tiles, I had Animal Chin and Public Domain on VHS from way back when. I'll see if I can find them if you want to borrow them. Public Domain was my favorite. Ray Barbie started out the vid with some no-comply stuff that was awesome.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I had the chin memorized when I was kid. man that was a great flick...
Too many good things about that movie. Johnny Rad in Vegas, the street skating thru San Fran. The Pink Hotel.

Tommy Guerrero's line is the best:

"Hey Tony, do that ollie over the fence at Del Mar....
That was sooo sssssick."

Or...

"Maps of the skater's home, Maps of the skater's home, Maps of the skaters.... Holmes!"

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
Tiles, I had Animal Chin and Public Domain on VHS from way back when. I'll see if I can find them if you want to borrow them. Public Domain was my favorite. Ray Barbie started out the vid with some no-comply stuff that was awesome.
I'm down. did you get that pimpske vid?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
hahahahaha!

remember z-roller trucks???
where those the trucks with the built in roller thing for grinds? As if the plastic truck guards weren't bad enough w/ the zip ties and ****. With all that extra plastic and the T-bolts that went with it - those boards must have weighed a ton.

Add On: What about Tracker trucks and the plastic base plate that didn't last for long?

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
yup, there was a kid I used to skate with that had z-rollers. sooooo friggin' heavy - yeah, I was a weight weenie even BITD!!!

I remember the plastic base, sort of a built-in riser if you will. those sucked hard. I always ran the thin risers on my sixtracks.

OrthoPT

Monkey
Nov 17, 2004
Denver
All right y'all all these pics and links have shamed me into wanting to clean up and tune my old Hutch Pro Racer! It's a beauty, complete with magnesium hubs and Ti axles. I'll post shot when it's done. The question is should I re-build it with the one piece cranks I had in it or take the Redline flights out of my GT cruiser?

EOBF

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I just recieved my hutch today. It was beat down, has a lot of wrong era parts on it, but I am really exited to have it. I cleaned it up and took it for a spin, It was so much fun, made me feel like a kid again. I am going to spend a little more time on it, then take it down to the dirt jumps and see if I can jump it. I will try to do some old school tricks.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
Here are a few old school pics of the half-pipe we had in my backyard. This is around 1984-1986. I am on the red Redline RL20, my bro is on the orange Hutch Trickstar,and my buddy is on the orange GT Pro Performer. The half-pipe was 8 feet tall, 8 feet wide, and had 19 feet of flat bottom. The THT symbol stood for "Templeton Hoard Templeton" which is our last names. Lastly the yellow painting in the pics that appears to be a flower is indeed a flower. My Dad did that while we were at school and we didn't have enough purple paint left over to cover it up. Sorry for the pic quality and lack of camera skills.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Still the best thread ever.

Those decks really bring back some memories for me too. I was never much of a skater but had a few different boards, we'd screw around on the halfpipe on 'em when we needed some variety from riding our bikes. I could barely get down the street but could actually do a half-decent air. I had a Hasoi and one of those Lance Mountain tribal-looking boards.

Those halfpipe shots are awesome too, also bring back lots of memories. Bummer that I have no pics from my freestyle days.

Just so I have something to add:

Hasoi

Roskopp

Mountain

Frisco

Chimp
Jan 16, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Awesome thread. I'm stoked you guys brought up golden gate park since that's where I rode as a kid. Anyone else here ride "center" back in the day. Vander used to session those tabled bunnyhops for hours. RIP Vander.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
This vid is awesome. There are a ton of old school names in here... DMC is even doing some flatland. I love that they call them "limbless airs." And somebody does a one-footed lookback. I always wondered if a nac-nac turndown would be possible (because it would get your leg out of the way on a mtb). Guess it is...

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
This vid is awesome. There are a ton of old school names in here... DMC is even doing some flatland. I love that they call them "limbless airs." And somebody does a one-footed lookback. I always wondered if a nac-nac turndown would be possible (because it would get your leg out the way on a mtb). Guess it is...

Nice find. I have Part One of this video, but never got to see Part Two..