Quantcast

Old School Rules

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cru - the sidehack stuff is cool. Those last couple of pics remind me of a sequence shot in BMXA or Freestylin'. There were these 2 guys that entered one of the contests at Pipeline or DelMar (or some other mid 80's concrete park). Anyway, the stoker got launched over a side fence when the driver carved one of the bowls. I'll have to look out for it when I have more time - but it was rad.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Building Leapin' Jones. You can't get anymore classic than that one handed table throwing the peace/victory sign!

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
Just had to share mine...
It was my first race ever. Circa 1982 in Auburn or Grass Valley CA. Borrowed helmet, running shoes and no number plate. I think I got second. Only pic I could find. LOL

Attachments

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Cool sidehack photos.
That tabletop with the peace sign is one of
my favorite shots from BITD.
Inspired me to go out and try 'em:
Sweet pic Dirt Merchant! The pics in BMXA were always an inspiration. And it was sort of a puzzle - try to figure out how to get moves like that. These young 'uns don't know about that 'cause there are plenty of vids no further than typing YouTube. But I always wondered how Donny Jones got those tables so flat and then was able to show the peace sign.

Your photo shows a lot about riding BITD - jumping in an empty area, no smooth and huge dirt jumps, no skateparks. Levi's, Vans, and a T-shirt and a basic bmx bike. I'm guessing a buddy or younger brother to that pic with one of those old 110 cameras.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
:rockout: "Levi's, Vans, and a T-shirt and a basic bmx bike."

You hit it on the head...except for the bike being basic: it was a tricked out HUTCH!
I should have known it was a Hutch with the triple plated chrome sparkling! Overall the bikes were more basic back then - a lot of us ran 1 piece cranks, single walled rims, threaded headsets/forks, sidepull brakes, seats w/ guts in them, thread-on freewheels - stuff that was used on 10-speeds for many years before.

But I have to say some of the frame designs were pretty far out. Torkers w/ the twin top tube, Hutch, JMC and others w/ the loop tails, GT w/ that pierced top tube, Bandito's double dropouts, Titan's twin bars on the seat tube, Profile w/ the bar going from the downtube to upper seattube (Champion had something similiar). And this is all before the mid to late 80's freestyle rebar looking mutants.

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Awesome thread, God bless the old school! I love the new school alot, but nothing will ever replace OS. Joe Kid was a real well put togher vid on this with good coverage across the board.
Great pics too.

Dirt Merchant

Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
Hilton, NY
But I have to say some of the frame designs were pretty far out

Dude you're from Jersey and didn't mention Thruster!?

I raced many Ironman Classics in Howell BITD...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
But I have to say some of the frame designs were pretty far out

Dude you're from Jersey and didn't mention Thruster!?

I raced many Ironman Classics in Howell BITD...
I'm originally from MA - so spaced on Thruster although I remember them pretty well. That Tri-Power stuff was pretty wild. I could have mentioned Columbia (from Westfield, MA) but their stuff wasn't too far out.

I've ridden Howell a couple of times but never raced there. It's cool to know there are still tracks from BITD still running today.

Not old school but has some old school riders. A vid from this summer at my home track (Whip City BMX in Westfield). I'm running the dk colors on a USB Molly Maguire (2nd in cruiser, 1st in open):

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Dirt Merchant - is that you in writeup for Cool Tool? I think I raced the Cool Tool track - someplace in NY state?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hey, Don, I finally met your buddy Rick last night at the trails. Cool guy. He didn't ride, says he's not used to jumps so big... :biggrin: He says he might give them a shot next weekend. I don't blame him, though, we're making those things so steep, tall, and long that they scare me half of the time... :twitch:

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Dirt - very very cool stuff! Was that in BMX Today?

And yea, that's the track - I remember the first straight being long and fast as hell. I ended up crashing and pulling some muscles in my shoulder the 2nd day but had a fun time overall.

I remember Cory Unger and some guys built this big ol' double out of a pile of dirt (I'm guessing, used for the track). And then Chase Digit pulls up and jumped the hell out of it. IIRC, Clymer was going off on it too. I was siked just to clear the thing.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Hey, Don, I finally met your buddy Rick last night at the trails. Cool guy. He didn't ride, says he's not used to jumps so big... :biggrin: He says he might give them a shot next weekend. I don't blame him, though, we're making those things so steep, tall, and long that they scare me half of the time... :twitch:
That's great - I'm stoked you guys met up! Rick was rocking that night I saw him - fast and he was jumping well. The new school jumps are so much different than what we were used to and I don't think he's been on a bike all that much over the years so ya can't blame him. And if they are scaring you - then they have to be burly!

But he has a bunch of natural talent - I'm sure he'll be getting thru some runs soon.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Hey Cru, nice Blog you got going on, throw in some verbiage, saw it on EF.
Thanks! It's still a work in progress. Tater is doing some web work to give it a better look. We're also getting some footage and plan to start putting up short web vids. I'll probably start putting up more words, but I want to keep it very visual, rather than word heavy. I plan to put up a post about it once we update the look.

For those wondering, this is what we're talking about. It's a new website/blog that Tater and I have started called Liquid Dirt. Look for it to be pimped out soon...

http://www.liquid-dirt.com/

Ryan at Eastern Front put up a post about it yesterday...

http://easternfrontnews.blogspot.com/

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I remember Cory Unger and some guys built this big ol' double out of a pile of dirt (I'm guessing, used for the track). And then Chase Digit pulls up and jumped the hell out of it. IIRC, Clymer was going off on it too. I was siked just to clear the thing.

I remember being in a semi on the gate between Chase Digit and Shelby James. I got a good first two cranks in but yeah they slammed the door on me... Also had John Purse and Chicken George in that semi.... No transfer for me that day.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Lee - that semi sounds more like a main w/ those guys on the gate. Heavy duty hitters there. What year was that? Didn't Shelby James stop racing in the mid 80's?

I should have known it was a Hutch with the triple plated chrome sparkling! Overall the bikes were more basic back then - a lot of us ran 1 piece cranks, single walled rims, threaded headsets/forks, sidepull brakes, seats w/ guts in them, thread-on freewheels - stuff that was used on 10-speeds for many years before.

. But I have to say some of the frame designs were pretty far out Torkers w/ the twin top tube, Hutch, JMC and others w/ the loop tails, GT w/ that pierced top tube, Bandito's double dropouts, Titan's twin bars on the seat tube, Profile w/ the bar going from the downtube to upper seattube (Champion had something similiar). And this is all before the mid to late 80's freestyle rebar looking mutants.
Man this thread is bringing it back. but when you talk about far out frames you can`t leave out the SE racing quad angle.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Man this thread is bringing it back. but when you talk about far out frames you can`t leave out the SE racing quad angle.
Jeez (smacks hand against forehead), how could I have forgotten about SE stuff. The Quad/STR-1 frame was wild - the STR-1 had a continual tube from the seattube to the headtube - seatstay looptail, to the chainstay, tacked to under the BB then up to the headtube!

The PK Ripper had some far out stuff - oval tubing, loop tail, and aluminum which there weren't that many of back then (Race Inc. and Normora are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head).

there were some pretty funky bars out there too. remember CW bars with the top tube that went striaght across grip to grip. but the best had to be Vector bars with an integrated stem.

this has got me thinking of all the small things that were apart of the life back then too.
-valve caps with dice on them
-californa lite checker board pads
-dyno rear brake protector
-viscount areo seats
-acs z rims (never as solid as tuff wheels)
-comp 3 tires
-checker board vans and my members only jacket
-se racing landing gear forks
-grip doughnuts (4 on each grip)
-one piece sr hollow cranks
-tuff necks
-bear trap pedals

names like eddie fiola, mike domingez, brian blyther, diz hicks, stu thompson, woody itson, rl osbourne

i rember the first backflip ever on a hutch trick star by a no name guy who learned on a lake jump. guessing 1985ish.