Quantcast

Old School Rules

Hup

Chimp
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
Here are some photos of the three I voted for. All of these bikes were a big deal when I was kid.

Mongoose Pro Class

Maurice Meyer's Skyway TA. More photos and the story on this one here

Raleigh Pro

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
I don't think the whole movie is up on google vids anymore. I used to have link to it, but it doesn't work anymore. You can get parts of it, though.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Def some rad bikes on that site.

I love this thing. Take off that seat cover, slam it, pull the bars back, get rid of those spacers and cut the fork... then it would be perfect...

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Don, I was browsing around your website and saw this link to some old S&M stuff. There's some serious radness in here...

http://ryanpartridge.blogspot.com/

This is hillarious...

There is so much good reading on that site. If you poke around some more there should be a link that has a few pages on the POW house and some really kooky stories about the nuts that lived there.

That was one time in my life that I was not riding BMX (just XC MTB stuff) and looking back I'm kinda bummed that I didn't. I remember Mad Dog well in the late 80's and tried to copy a lot of his tricks and style. Looks like he tried to shake up the pot a bunch during the early to mid 90's.

That site also reminds me a lot of an old vid I had - SOIL. Very heavy SoCal stuff from the mid 90's and all dirt jump riding. If I can, I'll try to get you a copy - I think you'd really enjoy it.

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
That site also reminds me a lot of an old vid I had - SOIL. Very heavy SoCal stuff from the mid 90's and all dirt jump riding. If I can, I'll try to get you a copy - I think you'd really enjoy it.
That'd be rad. Honestly, I haven't watched many bmx vids over the years. I've been thinking about trying to catch up on the classics... especially trail vids. Any recommendations?

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
That'd be rad. Honestly, I haven't watched many bmx vids over the years. I've been thinking about trying to catch up on the classics... especially trail vids. Any recommendations?

If you can find it, ANTHEM is the holy grail of classic trail vids. I'm out of town now, but when I get back I'll check into making a copy of SOIL.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
check out how this dude converted a Haro Nyquist 24" to look old school !

http://oldschoolbmx.com/community/index.php?showtopic=27004427&hl=cruiser flatland&st=20

wow, that is slick. man I just can't stop staring at it to figure out what is going on. I like it. What is that seat?

I would have plinked off that gyro plate though. maybe some thinner bars and a top load stem...

what is up with the chain? Is it just my computer screen or what, but it looks odd, I can't tell what it is... ?
edit, oh man, got beat to the post by two here, haha...

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I think the chain has a plastic cover on it of some sort...looks weird...
Yeah that's exactly what it is/was. I had one on my "Blue Max" (made by Mongoose for AAFES) back in the mid 80's. It was supposed to keep the dirt from the track off the chain. What it succeeded in actually doing was just getting caught up in the chainwheel and freewheel. I wanted one so bad and was so disappointed with it in about a week.

Awesome thread.

edit: Those Oakley B1's were the best.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
here's some pretty cool "repro-retro" stuff from Knight, one of my favorite companies...
Didn't see this coming from them though... was just cruising their site a bit ago wondering why all of their ti stuff is fading off the map and found this stuff.

Knight Kreations...

I kind of want some bars, haha...

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
here's some pretty cool "repro-retro" stuff from Knight, one of my favorite companies...
Didn't see this coming from them though... was just cruising their site a bit ago wondering why all of their ti stuff is fading off the map and found this stuff.

Knight Kreations...

I kind of want some bars, haha...
Nice. I love the looks of smooth old school topload stems. Who cares if your 3 way keeps smackin' the bars?

And that cruiser is pretty boss. I wonder the geo?

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Bumpage. Saw this on another forum. Don, do you recognize this guy? Looks east coast 83/84ish. I think it's one of the guys who runs timelessbmx.com.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Bumpage. Saw this on another forum. Don, do you recognize this guy? Looks east coast 83/84ish. I think it's one of the guys who runs timelessbmx.com.

Holy shait! 1st glance at the pic before I read your post - I was thinking - "that looks like Jody Stodard" Jody rode Hutch colors and a JT helmet for a while and was definitely a great jumper - one of the best in the MA/CT area. He runs timelessbmx.com now.

What forum did you find that on? I'm trying to figure out who the GHP rider was. Thanks for the post - Jody was and still is rad!

Cru Jones

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2006
Hell Track
Holy shait! 1st glance at the pic before I read your post - I was thinking - "that looks like Jody Stodard" Jody rode Hutch colors and a JT helmet for a while and was definitely a great jumper - one of the best in the MA/CT area. He runs timelessbmx.com now.

What forum did you find that on? I'm trying to figure out who the GHP rider was. Thanks for the post - Jody was and still is rad!
Jody looks like a style cat for sure. I didn't see anybody doing lookbacks/turndowns/learys when I was racing. The coolest stuff you'd see on the track was an occasional can can, nac nac, or griz.

I saw that on The Come Up board.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
JMC's were super cool. I think I've only seen a few in real life. when I was a young kid (80's) only one person had one that I knew of.

I would love some 8 inch V-bars. I know Fly makes vbars but they are too low, even with max spacers under my stem...:(

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Me circa 1981 - Super BMX Magazine October 1981

Thought I'd add a second pic. Castlehills BMX - USBA Nationals 1985 - San Antonio, Texas
Me in the GT Bicycles Kit - 3
I got Second.

Team GT / Texas BMX Accessories - Circa 1985 I believe. Downtown Austin in the back ground.
L to R - Brad Sather, Jay ?, Craig Marsh, Kevin Hull (Jumping over the Farrari), Billy Patterson, Trey Walden, Misty Price

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
JMC's were super cool. I think I've only seen a few in real life. when I was a young kid (80's) only one person had one that I knew of.

I would love some 8 inch V-bars. I know Fly makes vbars but they are too low, even with max spacers under my stem...:(
A friend of mine had one, I was so jealous, until he cracked the frame. I was riding a 1978 Team Mongoose. It was their first ALL chrome moly frame in candy apple blue:thumb:.