Quantcast

One album you think everyone should own

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
because hindsight is always 20/20. I can't even listen to nirvana at all anymore.
Strange how musical tastes can change isn't it? I'm still the only person I know who actually owns Bleach, and I loved that band for a long time. But I have tried a couple of times to go back and listen to some of their albums, and I find now that they are "meh" worthy, at best.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
in tune and on time is way better, but that's a recording of a live performance.
I disagree. Endtroducing is the quintessential DJ Shadow, before he hyped himself out of relevance. ITOT is a great album. I have a VHS of one of his live performances with cut chemist, and while it is amazing, I wouldn't say it's a "classic" album nor one that everybody should own.

Let's see...

Run DMC self titled
Cake's Fashion Nug
I'd say UNKLE's Psyence Fiction but that's a little too in line with DJ Shadow...
Daft Punk's Homework
Chemical Brother's Dig Your Own Hole
Digable Planets Reachin'
Kruder and Dorfmeister K+D sessions
Massive attack blue lines

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
What part about ONE album dont you people understand? ONE album? Non reading comprehension fuggers.

Did I mention "London Calling" too? Yep, Quadrophenia and London Calling...

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
If I where to suggest a Pink Floyd album it would be a toss up between Meddle and Umma Gumma.

Meddle for Echos and Umma Gumma for the live versions of Careful with That Axe Eugene, Astronomy Domain and Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.
Hear you on disk 1, but disk 2? Even for this Pink Floyd fan, disk 2 is out there.

And even Meddle is not their best complete album. Axe and Echos are some of their best stuff, but San Tropez and Seamus? My favorite complete album of theirs is Animals.

Last edited:

Hunter

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
The Right coast
Oh, COME ON...:rant::rolleyes:

You are gonna put up a "best of" album?

:thumb:
I find this discussion and passion from you and Narlus interesting...

I have many of the actual albums from Marley (Natty Dread), Doors (Waiting for the Sun), and Dead (gotta be live)...but I usually play the live or compliation albums. When you go see a band in concert, you don't pay to see them play the album songs that no one really cared about. So what's the big deal about a best of album? Man, you make me want to toot about a Johnny Cash compilation. ;)

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
because hindsight is always 20/20. I can't even listen to nirvana at all anymore.
Oh my god tell me about it. The unplugged album was SO overplayed. And of course in Seattle it was non stop. I would be jsut fine if I never heard another nirvana song. I much prefer Foo Fighters. I think pound for pound, Dave Grohl was/is the talented one. And apparently, much less of a head case.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
it's probably a generational thing about perspectives of art and what a full album should be, in its fully realized form.

cherry picking songs that span a variety of years and potentially styles doesn't fit my criterion of 'one album everyone should own.'

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Strange how musical tastes can change isn't it? I'm still the only person I know who actually owns Bleach, and I loved that band for a long time.
I own Bleach.

Still listen to them some. Definitely don't like them as much as I used to, but still appreciate them.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Strange how musical tastes can change isn't it? I'm still the only person I know who actually owns Bleach, and I loved that band for a long time. But I have tried a couple of times to go back and listen to some of their albums, and I find now that they are "meh" worthy, at best.
It's not so much about taste, but about timing. Appetite for Destruction had effectively shattered the glam rock pretty boy studio/factory business model less than 5 years before Nirvana hit mainstream success. (fwiw, AfD was released the year Nirvana initially formed).

If Nirvana put out Nevermind today, I highly doubt that they would see the popularity, yet alone relevancy, that they did back in the early 90's.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I disagree. Endtroducing is the quintessential DJ Shadow, before he hyped himself out of relevance. ITOT is a great album. I have a VHS of one of his live performances with cut chemist, and while it is amazing, I wouldn't say it's a "classic" album nor one that everybody should own.
I never said Entroducing wasn't good. I just like ITOT more. But I also clarified that its a live performance, not an album.

And I agree 100% with Daft Punk - Homework. Discovery is a great album too. I even really like Human After All an awful lot.

If you wanna hear a great live performance, I would definitely recommend searching out Alive 2007. It's a recording of an entire single Daft Punk performance, and the tracks have great continuity.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's not so much about taste, but about timing. Appetite for Destruction had effectively shattered the glam rock pretty boy studio/factory business model less than 5 years before Nirvana hit mainstream success.

you've seen photos of Axel Rose during that timeframe, right? and you've heard the record, right?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
my favorite hip-hop record.
First patient, pull out the skull, remove the cancer
Breakin' his back, chisel necks for the answer
Supersonic bionic robot voodoo power
Equator ex my chance to flex skills on ampex
With power meters and heaters gauge anti-freeze
Octagon oxygen, aluminum intoxicants
More ways to blow blood cells in your face
React with four bombs and six fire missiles
Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols
You may not believe, livin' on the earth planet
My skin is green and silver, warhead lookin' mean
Astronauts get played, tough like the ukelele
As I move in rockets, overriding, levels
Nothing's aware, same data, same system

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I approve of Clutch, but that's nowhere close to their best album IMO. Robot Hive: Exodus, Blast Tyrant, Pure Rock Fury, and maybe even Elephant Riders are better.
All of their albums are great. Probably my favorite band for the last couple years.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
All of their albums are great. Probably my favorite band for the last couple years.
Pitchfork and Lost Needles doesn't really do it for me, and I think Slow Hole to China is only OK. But yeah, I like them a lot.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I never said Entroducing wasn't good. I just like ITOT more. But I also clarified that its a live performance, not an album.

And I agree 100% with Daft Punk - Homework. Discovery is a great album too. I even really like Human After All an awful lot.

If you wanna hear a great live performance, I would definitely recommend searching out Alive 2007. It's a recording of an entire single Daft Punk performance, and the tracks have great continuity.

i have the video... the one that is made out of 1 milllion different 3 second clips taken from everyone with a camera at the concert??. its cool, but made me kinda dizzy. i guess i have to be high to truly appreciate it.

the music was awesome nonetheless. the continuity of the songs is amazing... but its more of a visual expo, with all the lights and effects and ****, than a "musical concert" since everything is sampled already....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i have the video... the one that is made out of 1 milllion different 3 second clips taken from everyone with a camera at the concert??. its cool, but made me kinda dizzy. i guess i have to be high to truly appreciate it.
the video was cool in concept, but i could seriously only stomach about 45 seconds of it.

the album is great. if you can get your hands on a copy, the limited edition also includes the encore.

the music was awesome nonetheless. the continuity of the songs is amazing... but its more of a visual expo, with all the lights and effects and ****, than a "musical concert" since everything is sampled already....
they were only sampling themselves... most (if not all their stuff, Tron soundtrack excluded) is synthesized. Check out their stage setup from that tour pretty cool stuff:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It's not so much about taste, but about timing. Appetite for Destruction had effectively shattered the glam rock pretty boy studio/factory business model less than 5 years before Nirvana hit mainstream success. (fwiw, AfD was released the year Nirvana initially formed).

If Nirvana put out Nevermind today, I highly doubt that they would see the popularity, yet alone relevancy, that they did back in the early 90's.
Certainly, something like "nevermind" can takeoff in large part simply due to the zeitgeist, but I don't think that the popularity of Nirvana or any of the post Incesticide albums were simply due to the fact that Kurt didn't use hairspray. I recognize thats not what your saying, timing is a factor here, but I don't think you can say that Nirvana didn't put on some great albums either. I just don't think they hold up, for whatever reason, be it changing taste or the cultural meme, at least not in the context of this thread. If this is a "one album to take to a desert island thread", the album needs to be good yesterday, today, and 20 years from now. For me "Thirteen tales from urban Bohemia" fits that bill. IMHO it was awesome in 2000, and its still awesome now. I still play it regularly.

I know I risk sever derision from several of you, but I still really enjoy Joshua Tree by U2.

In the process of using teh torrent for several of these (those that I can find, some of you have obscure tastes). Great suggestions by all. :thumb:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
"They make their living of of arts & crafts - the kind with seashells, driftwood and burlap..."

I'm a Nirvana fan but do not own Never Mind. Bleach is a CD that I keep in my car - Love Buzz, Negative Creep and Swap Meet are great driving songs.

Having lived in Aberdeen Washington from 1991 to 2006, I don't think I knew anyone who didn't own Bleach. The town even adopted "Come As You Are" as the town motto.