Quantcast

One album you think everyone should own

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
True - I seldom listened to disk 2 of Umma Gumma.

I'll disagree with you on Seamus - best recording of a howling dog howling the blues ever!

Hear you on disk 1, but disk 2? Even for this Pink Floyd fan, disk 2 is out there.

And even Meddle is not their best complete album. Axe and Echos are some of their best stuff, but San Tropez and Seamus? My favorite complete album of theirs is Animals.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
bleach and soundgardens "screaming life" were great for clearing rooms at parties.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I'll disagree with you on Seamus - best recording of a howling dog howling the blues ever!
But that version is from Live at Pompeii, not Meddle. Some how I ended up with an audio version of Live at Pompeii and its actually a really good album minus all the talking in the diner.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
if you are gonna recommend one butthole surfers record, for yahweh's sake don't choose that one. although i suppose it was better than the next two.
I was thinking this had sweat loaf on it, so I guess I really wanted Locust Abortion Technician. Along those lines loosely.

This is an album everyone should listen to, maybe its not for everyone to own, if nothing else than for the cheap trick cover.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If you wanna hear a great live performance, I would definitely recommend searching out Alive 2007. It's a recording of an entire single Daft Punk performance, and the tracks have great continuity.
As was at the Alive tour when they played here in NYC and it was pretty focking amazing. I have the Alive album but I also have a bootleg of the same set from Coachella which despite the not so good quality better captures feel of the concert better. The light show was super cool too and really added to the concert. Hopefully they will return at some point.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
As was at the Alive tour when they played here in NYC and it was pretty focking amazing. I have the Alive album but I also have a bootleg of the same set from Coachella which despite the not so good quality better captures feel of the concert better. The light show was super cool too and really added to the concert. Hopefully they will return at some point.

any chance i could get a copy of the coachella performance?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i'll be a bit pedantic here, and attempt (crudely, and with 99% chance of failure) to attempt to categorize cornerstone LPs (not already mentioned)in various genres...

classic pop:

jazz:

electric blues:

acoustic blues:

metal (early):

metal (later):

shoegaze:

hip-hop:

grunge:

early psychedelic:

later psychedelic:

krautrock:

alt.country:

ambient:

black metal:

doom:

dub:

electronic:

brit-folk:

US-folk:

free jazz:

funk:

garage rock:

goth rock:

hard rock:

hardcore:

indie rock:

acoustic guitar:

math rock:

lo-fi:

noise rock:

post-punk:

punk rock:

southern rock:

industrial:

post-rock:

best live LP (for MMike)

damn, i forgot prog rock:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Interesting list narlus. I'd argue that if you're going to categorize that many genres within rock, not breaking up hip hop a bit is doing it a disservice. I'd have to think a little bit about how I'd define those sub-genres though.

Dopethrone, Reign In Blood, and Black Sabbath are all great calls. I like Superfuzz Bigmuff, but I'm not sure if I think it's place on that list is deserved. Don't think I agree with Jailbreak either.

Nice effort though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Iron Maiden: Killers

Motorhead: Overkill

Athiest: Unquestionable Presence

Mr. Bungle: self titled

Nine Inch Nails: The Downward Spiral

Metallica: Master of Puppets

Slayer: Reign in Blood

Sepultura: Arise

Carcass: Necroticism – Descanting the Insalubrious

Last edited:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Interesting list narlus. I'd argue that if you're going to categorize that many genres within rock, not breaking up hip hop a bit is doing it a disservice. I'd have to think a little bit about how I'd define those sub-genres though.

Dopethrone, Reign In Blood, and Black Sabbath are all great calls. I like Superfuzz Bigmuff, but I'm not sure if I think it's place on that list is deserved. Don't think I agree with Jailbreak either.

Nice effort though.
i am admittedly fairly weak on my hip-hop knowledge, so i did what i could ;)

as for hard rock. one could easily pop in something from Aerosmith, Soundgarden, Motorhead, Zep, Blue Oyster Cult, UFO, AC/DC, Budgie, etc.

i think that Mudhoney is the pre-eminent grunge band, personally, and that's a pretty good glimpse at what they did.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i am admittedly fairly weak on my hip-hop knowledge, so i did what i could ;)
Fair. If I have time and am not too lazy I'll put something together tomorrow.

narlus said:
i think that Mudhoney is the pre-eminent grunge band, personally, and that's a pretty good glimpse at what they did.
To each his own I guess. Though I have to admit I haven't come up with anything I think fits better.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i'd switch out pavement with teenage fan club's "a catholic education".

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Narlus...

I don't have this one, but I have Select Ambient Works V2... I also have a few of the tracks on this one from their original releases. Awesome stuff.

What was the album he put out that was a re-mix of a previous album, but played on a "proprietary" record player that had two needles? THA, on your album below originally came from it...

Last edited:

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
i'll be a bit pedantic here, and attempt (crudely, and with 99% chance of failure) to attempt to categorize cornerstone LPs (not already mentioned)in various genres...
That is certainly more than ONE album.

I too wanted to list a who bunch of albums, but the challenge of finding ONE says a lot about the poster.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
True - I seldom listened to disk 2 of Umma Gumma.

LOL... so THAT is seamus? Never would have known. I always pictured him as more of a Bloodhound than a Greyhound or whatever that one is.

I was in the kitchen... Seamus that's the dog was outside... CLASSIC.
I think that all of the tracks on Meddle are pretty darn good.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
That is certainly more than ONE album.

I too wanted to list a who bunch of albums, but the challenge of finding ONE says a lot about the poster.
if you searched the thread you'd find that my first post didn't bend the rules so much (i listed two records, one of which was listed a split second before by Jim Mac).

bb, i don't know that record you're speaking of.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

Nice effort though.
Jailbreak is an instant classic, despite the radio hits. TL were/are a well rounded rock group who influenced many, many bands. Listen to 'Emerald' or 'Suicide' (from Fighting, 1975) and you'll hear where Iron Maiden got their sound from.

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
Oh, COME ON...:rant::rolleyes:

You are gonna put up a "best of" album? What a cop-out.
I agree that Marley is one of the best musicians EVER and everyone should have some in their collection, but which SPECIFIC album? There are many true marley fans out there that don't have this one bc they have all the songs from the ACTUAL album that they were released on.

:thumb:

Exodus or Rastaman Vibrations for me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Alright, here's my go at breaking down hip hop:

Instrumental:

Conscious rap

Gangsta rap

Golden age

West coast contemporary