Quantcast

Park Suggestions for 2008

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
The biggest drop out there is about 8' (sure you can mach out and launch down the tranny, thats how we do, but lets stay focussed.)

What I would like to see is taking advantage of natural terrain for drops etc. I dont know if there is anything conducive to this type of building on the vernon peak area, but I hope so! There are virtually no natural drops on the mountain, and they are ALL to flat.

It would be dreamy if they could get the Granite area accessible - theres some steep ass crap in there, bound to have some natural fall/drop lines.
Yeah, I would like to see some natural drops too.

Platty has alot of smaller natural drops scattered all over the place & it makes it easier to improve and work your way up to bigger drops.

I admit I suck at drops, I just ain't too comfy with the bigger ones yet, so that's why I was suggesting some smaller ones around the mountain so you could hit 3 or 4 (or more) in one run instead of just the progression drops or whatnot.

Eh, maybe by next year I'll be sacking up a bit more & it won't be an issue anyhow.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
I completely understand an idea like this would take a lot of work and maintence to build and mantain, but, it would be sweet to have a few jumps (not a whole course) with some jumps like willigen germany with the wheels of speed. I guess it comes from riding bmx too, but you can have jumps like dominion, where you could roll them or jump them.

Like I said before, you could have a big triple, double, step down, or even step up, with multiple parts in them, and you can either just let off the brakes and nail them, or you could just roll them. Or you could just have a small path for a go around. I know these things take a lot of maintence, but I think a lot of people would "huge/small" things too.

the-general

Chimp
Oct 24, 2007
a giant umbrella covering the whole mountain would be nice for a day like today haha... also a couple more jump lines would be nice

konagod272

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
I think it would be cool to make a trail splitting off from alpine and going over that old snow cat bridge.

konagod272

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
But thats doesnt mean they could work on it a bit and make it stable....does it? Also yesterday i saw they cut down the brush in front of it as if clearing it out for somthing?

NJMX835

Monkey
Feb 17, 2007
Highland Lakes NJ
The only way to make that bridge stable would be to tear it down & rebuild it, lol

If we get a good snowfall this winter, it will probably collapse on it's own.

May 23, 2007
Stamford, CT
how about putting a jump or at least a berm after the progression drops. its so lame how you have to make a 90 degree turn on flat after going to fast after the drops. not to mention those rocks. A jump over the trail after the sram berm would be mad hottness (maybe make that one dip under the potential jump and make it launch into the that transition after that rock. but a berm would be cool too.

i can draw what i mean if you want. just pm me

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
The only way to make that bridge stable would be to tear it down & rebuild it, lol

If we get a good snowfall this winter, it will probably collapse on it's own.
They should tear it down and use that timber retaining wall as a drop.

konagod272

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Well sorry it was just an idea... iv never actually checked the bridge out to see if it was stable. And i wasnt trying to start somthing new, i was just agreeing with the persons before me. Anyways something should defunatly be done about the progression drops and the sram berm.

factorymx

Monkey
Jul 24, 2007
i agree about the progression drops they hae alot of potential to do something there, berms, jumps etc...

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Progression drops, smallest, great for beginners to ride off, middle good height for people to step up their game and learn bigger drops, biggest drop, nothing but punishment for the bike. you might as well drop to flat and if you have enouph speed to launch to proper transition your locked up and skidding to make the left hander before hitting rocks. Again constructive criticism but 2 choices here, 1) dig down after the biggest drop and create proper transition (after all it's the biggest drop to teach proper techniques, add a couple feet drop to build a proper transition and runout), 2) build something after it so you can hit it full speed ( clearing the 10' or so to reach proper transition) and go straight. By the way I had a small discussion one day with the trail crew that was working on the berm right before the progression drops and they agreed about the biggest drop, in his words (that drop sucks, no transition, might as well drop to flat). And yes I will still occassionally ride off it even if they don't change a thing, still a thrill factor I guess. But this is a suggestion thread

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I don't know exactly what comes after the progression drops, but how about a bromont style jump-bridge over the other trail? could be a neat way to bypass the other trail and may give more line options for good riders.

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
Hey just a thought if Diablo is still checking this thread out. I offer my services to help if you put in a line like in the video that I posted as "Dirt Jumps?" I know this is not DH in nature but it would give us dirtjumpers out there one more spot to kick it up and possibly a new spot for next Diabloween, And yes you could fill them in to make tables for safety reasons as long as they are flowing like that, I'll volunteer my time to picking all the rocks out of the line.:lighten: First or second video that I posted will do, although I would like the second one duplicated. Thanks

necody

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Lew Beach
yeah i think some dirt jumps would be cool or a even better a slopestyle course and some sort of jump series or at least an earlier jump jam as well as diabloween i also wouldnt mind volunteering digging

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I suggest more north shore stuff. Fairly wide rollercoaster type stuff, with step ups to other platforms and then drop offs.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
that bridge on alpine should still be stable. it is made with steel I beams similar to the platform phantom is on. new wood and it would be fine. but its still a lot of work

frdh

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
I say they take that fence off of the phantom drop to make it wider, then build up a higher drop (like 17 ft or around there idk you choose) on top of the deck so you could choose if you wanted to go off the 17 ft drop part or the lower normal part...
that would make my day..

Fall Guy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
I say they take that fence off of the phantom drop to make it wider, then build up a higher drop (like 17 ft or around there idk you choose) on top of the deck so you could choose if you wanted to go off the 17 ft drop part or the lower normal part...
that would make my day..
I was thinking the same thing but I was thinking of putting in a big gap so you could fly off Phantom and not miss the tranny.

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
How about a nice big berm at the bottom of lower alpine right before you cross that little wood runout onto the liftline road. It sucks that you have to hammer the brakes after the drop in just to make the turn. Big berm= nice dropin and fun exit.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
How about a nice big berm at the bottom of lower alpine right before you cross that little wood runout onto the liftline road. It sucks that you have to hammer the brakes after the drop in just to make the turn. Big berm= nice dropin and fun exit.

Who said "you have to hammer the brakes" just pick a different line. Only took me about 3 weeks to get it right through that section fast and clean, haha. I have faith..you can do it.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
They should make that drop in just a drop with a wood ramp before it

I'd like alpine to be a little more exciting after the progression drops.

I know there is a little lip right there before the drop in, can anyone gap that?

runnin12s

Monkey
May 14, 2007
Waverly, NY
They should make that drop in just a drop with a wood ramp before it

I'd like alpine to be a little more exciting after the progression drops.

I know there is a little lip right there before the drop in, can anyone gap that?
actually that lip is placed perfectly, if you hit it with even minimum speed you can clear the top of the hill and land half way down the drop in, you just have to get ready to trust your tires after you land for the left hander with the bumps in the middle totally doable. I actually like alpine after the progressions, if you follow the table to the right of the drops you land back side of table hit "water bar" and gap to backside before left berm, hold speed through berm, come off rock on left and gap to backside of hill again, carry tons of speed and go past first right turn and go to second right turn, follow around, carry speed over first jump/drop, hit second jump/drop and gap to next down hill section, continue across lift hill and hit said lip (watch your speed or you will overshoot backside transition totally and end up in woods, experience talkin, I've done it) crank the left hander off the wooden platform, follow down and finish up with phantom. what's not to like, you just have to flow the line and it becomes a lot more fun.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Can you guys get a cannon big enough to shoot a 200lb man out of?
I've always wanted to be shot from a cannon, so this would be a big addition to Diablo for me.
I'm not sure why, but that struck me as completely hilarious. Laughed so hard I had to wait to type this.

be350ka

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Who said "you have to hammer the brakes" just pick a different line. Only took me about 3 weeks to get it right through that section fast and clean, haha. I have faith..you can do it.
Yup, like I said. A nice berm would be way more fun.:thumb:

ETBW

Chimp
May 29, 2007
Dobbs Ferry, NY
Please Please Please widen the phantom drop platform. There are a couple of us at ETBW that want to try 360's of off it. Although it is do-able now, it is just barely. Widening it by a foot or 2 would make a big difference. I am sure there are others who feel this way 2.

Many Thanks!

bruiser2

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Pelham, NY
Please Please Please widen the phantom drop platform. There are a couple of us at ETBW that want to try 360's of off it. Although it is do-able now, it is just barely. Widening it by a foot or 2 would make a big difference. I am sure there are others who feel this way 2.

Many Thanks!
i agree with this also. not just because of the 360's, but than doubles off phantom is easier. and possibly even triples!