Quantcast

Pictures of old and obscure suspension bikes

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
i remember at a durango one time i saw miles on a boulder starship
with a actiontec headshock mounted to a a mag20!

wish i could find a pic of that!

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
i remember at a durango one time i saw miles on a boulder starship
with a actiontec headshock mounted to a a mag20!

wish i could find a pic of that!
I remember that as well! I used to have a custom Boulder Defiant- we used to up to Rich Williams shop in Berthoud all the time.

AtTheGates

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
so cool and coordinated.....circa_____?
1993-94?. I could be wrong. I started riding in '94-'95 about the time that the 4 and EFC came out, so before that.
Its definatly a peice of prime '90's gear. oversized 1.25 head set, A-tac stem, grafton(?) cranks and brakes. oh, just noticed, onza HO pedals!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I had that fork, pedals, shifters, barends, RD, bottle cage, and hubs (but tie dyed) on my bike c. 94/95.

-ska todd

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
Here's one I scanned in today-
...3d racing, très kool, i think chris o driscoll raced one of these (minus the chainring, which i assume was for the kamikaze race in mammoth) on one of the wc dh tours in the 90s (i remember seeing him at the classic kaprun wc dh).

another "weird" thing about this pic: does he have a v-brake plus a disc on the rear?

and is that an internal gear hub on this one?

does anybody have pics of the

-shimano hrb (hub roller brake they tested before launching the shimano xt disc brake? i remember an article about those in the German bike magazine, when Juergen beneke (wc overall dh winner 93 or 94) was riding for schwinn and testing those)

-watercooled shimano disc brakes (i think dave cullinan was using them)

Thomas

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
does anybody have pics of the

-shimano hrb (hub roller brake they tested before launching the shimano xt disc brake? i remember an article about those in the German bike magazine, when Juergen beneke (wc overall dh winner 93 or 94) was riding for schwinn and testing those)

-watercooled shimano disc brakes (i think dave cullinan was using them)

Thomas
Ahh crap, i just threw out all my old german bike mags. I had every issue of "bike" from 1991 on, so that would have been an endless supply of weird suspension designs.

Honus

Monkey
Jun 6, 2006
Boulder, CO
another "weird" thing about this pic: does he have a v-brake plus a disc on the rear?

and is that an internal gear hub on this one?

Thomas
Yep- that's a v-brake and disc but there's no caliper on the disc brake. There's also a pedal missing, so I'm guessing it was just quickly thrown together for the photo. The hub is a Nexus 7spd. I know you can buy adapters for the Nexus hubs to mount a disc on them.

thomas

Chimp
May 12, 2002
EMEA Googleplex
hey,

thanks for the pic - those brakes still look great...

does anybody have pics of the hub roller brake (i threw away all my
German bike magazine back issues as well, in an insane attempt to clean up my attic)

...would be nice to have a bike equipped with the shimano airlines and the watercooled brakes...

Thomas

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Shaums was scared to ride those brakes, too grabby.
There was a lot of "rotor lubrication" happening to tame the power ;)

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
i have a friend that has a set of shimano prototype hub brakes sittin around his shop

i dont know if they are the hub roller brakes someone mentioned up above....ill try to get a picture next time i get around them

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
These are derived from hopes not Shimano I thought
no, those are the shimanos. don't get me wrong they look just like a hope caliper and the rotor. but its a shimano lever. and usually had two front calipers