Quantcast

Pit Bulls

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
This whole Michael Vick dogfighting scandal has certainly brought a fair amount of attention to Pit Bulls. PETA has taken the position that in order to end dogfighting, the pit bull breed needs to be eliminated and they are actively trying to stop all breeding.

The cities of Denver, Cincinnati, and Miami have all outlawed the breed in city limits.

What are your thoughts? Are they a menace to society and deserve to be wiped out or are they the victims of a bad steotype and some real mismotivated owners?

Best dog breed IMO.
Gott admit it's ironic for PETA to WANT to erradicate a dog breed.
Whats next?
I had a real angry chiahua charge me other day.............
Anyhoo, if pit bulls did not exist then jack-offs like Vick would find another breed to fight ...or animal ,species,.....
Blood thirsty people would fight parakeets or grasshoppers if you give them enough time and\or money.
Stupid is as Stupid does.....:banghead:

Thats all i have to say 'bout thaaaaaat.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
So all abused dogs who receive a bad rap should be eliminated? Dobermans used to be viewed the same way. It's the morons that train these dogs to be fighters that should be cracked down on.

Vick can suck it all the way to prison and then some more!

L

luelling

I think they are getting a bad rap. You can "breed out" undesirable characteristics, like being aggressive. They did it relatively recently with doberman pinschers. I think we just need to "breed out" people like Vick from our species :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
While PitBulls do have certain hereditary instincts it is the OWNER and the deed, not the bread!

My Pitbull mix is ferocious. Here I am holding him back so he doesn't eat any children.

Here is his idea of "Dog Fighting"

However I do agree, there is no need to breed them, or any dog for that manor, with all the great dogs that are already available for adoption.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Interesting.

I'd have to say it's a publicity tactic to get the govt to realize that these dogs in the wrong hands are very dangerous and very abused.

Perhaps PETA's goal is really to get special licensing to own this kind of dog. I'd support that.

I had a real angry chiahua charge me other day...
Sorry, but that's the same falacious argument that gun lovers use when comparing them to knives.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think the breed is just plain messed up. It will take a long time to no only get the image straight, but get the breed straight as well. Like any dog with power, it is up to the owner to train properly and keep the dog in check.

But the main issue is that there are LONG blood lines that have no hope of ever recovering.

I spent nearly 3 years raising and training my Rottie to be service certified. She was the first Rottie ever certified by Support Teams for Independence in San Diego. They had VERY strict guidelines for behavior and training standards.

When it was all said and done, I could take her ANYWHERE. It was awesome. But before she was even considered for the program, they did extensive research into her papers and bloodlines.

I'm not saying all Pits are bad, but the ones that are more than make up for those that aren't.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Bans on various breeds in cities is nothing new. Most of the time its prompted by a rash of attacks, not dog fighting.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Didnt know Cincy had a pitbull ban. They po po never took issue in the brief time I had one. Nice dog, chewed my roomates wacom tablet up and a mouse cord, but it was a puppy.

People who think there are all these bad pitbulls running around and such are ridiculous. I don't think PETA has honestly ever had a good idea. The best thing that has come from their existence is a South Park episode.

Pitbulls are ballin, if we are getting rid of any dogs how about a ban on adult dogs under 5 pounds. ****ing yappy bastards.

edit: forgot to say there is really no such thing as a Pitbull and most of the pitbull bans are just "dogs that look like pitbulls" notice how MTB Rob and Stinkyboy say they have pitbulls but they dont really look that similar at all.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My pup is a pit mix and he is very kind and gentle with people and other animals. In the 7 year I have had him he hasn't once even growled at anyone/anything. Same thing goes for every other pit pit/mix I have seen that has been properly cared for. On the other hand I have personally been bit by 3 properly cared for labs and a dalmation. The aussie mix I had was very aggressive towards other dogs.

The only problem I see with the breed is the fact that they are retard strong.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i have to deal with them a lot in a law enforcement capacity which usually means that i get to meet the not-so-nice ones. i've had to shoot a few that charged me and hated every second of it. we've busted a few dog fighting rings here lately but, since it only involves local gang-members and not a pro-athlete gang member like vic...it doesn't make the news :rolleyes:

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
6 PIT BULLS live behind us & get out & attack or chase people on occasion.One has been shot.
I was out of town the last time,but would have shot it without hesitation! These are mean dogs!

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I don't know much about them....other than they are horribly inbred (like St. Bernards etc etc....) but because of that,they ain't right in the head.

I'd say good riddance to that breed.......and rotweilers too

ridetoofast

scarred, broken and drunk
Mar 31, 2002
crashing at a trail near you...
I don't know much about them....other than they are horribly inbred (like St. Bernards etc etc....) but because of that,they ain't right in the head.

I'd say good riddance to that breed.......and rotweilers too
you profess ignorance of them, then dismiss them as a pointless breed,
how erudite of you...

got step in front of a bus you tool

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
either you are baiting/trolling or just ignorant, and i suspect it's ignorant.
thug ganstahs that walk them around with spiked collars ARE trying to extend their manliness, whereas civilized human beings that raise them in a nurturing environment end up with very lovable, affectionate, loyal, playful dogs. i had one for 16 years and he was a fantastic dog.
you clearly haven't read the whole thread as westy and mtn bike nc had very good results with them

strangeland2

Monkey
Jul 11, 2007
masshole
I also hate pitbulls. I think the only ignorance is people trying to defend the breed claiming a few bad apples. The breed is definitely a little off and something needs to be done to breed a better temperment in them. As pointed out there are various pit breeds that arent actually pitbulls and look very similiar to pitbulls so there is no reason people cant get a different pit breed.

I ll finish with Im really not for any government regulation so I dont think the breed should be legally outlawed. I would prefer people to take the intiative and do what is right. However if it came to government outlawing I sure wouldnt miss the dogs.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i got a bulletin recently about a new breed of dog that is the new target for dog fighters...i can't remember the name of it off the top of my head by it looks like a cross between a pit and a mastif..friggin huge and tough looking. get rid of pits and they'll just fight something else.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
either you are baiting/trolling or just ignorant, and i suspect it's ignorant.
thug ganstahs that walk them around with spiked collars ARE trying to extend their manliness, whereas civilized human beings that raise them in a nurturing environment end up with very lovable, affectionate, loyal, playful dogs. i had one for 16 years and he was a fantastic dog.
you clearly haven't read the whole thread as westy and mtn bike nc had very good results with them
I am neither baiting/trolling nor ignorant.

I am right. YOu are wrong.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
i got a bulletin recently about a new breed of dog that is the new target for dog fighters...i can't remember the name of it off the top of my head by it looks like a cross between a pit and a mastif..friggin huge and tough looking. get rid of pits and they'll just fight something else.
funny you mention that, i found my pit in an area known to have fighter/breeders and we think he was an attempt at a super pit.
he was mixed with something big like a rott.
akc standards for american staffordshire terriers is something like 65-75lbs, whereas sluggo was almost a 110lbs in his prime.
we called him pumpkin head due to the ginormity of his gourde.

ridetoofast

Mar 31, 2002
I am neither baiting/trolling nor ignorant.

I am right. YOu are wrong.
im curious, what personal experience do you have with the breed?
i'm guessing you've never even been around one other than walking down the street and seeing a poorly treated one on a chain or behind a fence, or you've been duped by the famously accurate and unbiased betrayal of them in the media...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
im curious, what personal experience do you have with the breed?
i'm guessing you've never even been around one other than walking down the street and seeing a poorly treated one on a chain or behind a fence, or you've been duped by the famously accurate and unbiased betrayal of them in the media...
Yes...Fox news faked all of those mauled toddlers......CURSE THE MEDIA...victimizing the poor, misunderstood pit bull terrier.....