Quantcast

Pit Bulls

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Pretty much how I feel about it.

I was talking to my wife about this on the way home. She brought up an interesting point about Pit owners:

The vast majority that both she and I know or have seen, are jackasses.

I doubt there are any official studies done on this, but it would be my guess based on our conversation that the majority of people who purchase a Pit have bad intentions for the dog.

Unlike people who purchase something like a Lab. Does anyone know someone who purchased a Lab with the thought of making it into a killer? I know people purchase other dogs like Rotties and whatnot, but Pits tend to be a lot more "affordable".

Also, if you look at the Oregon Humane Society, Pits outnumber any other breed by at least 3 to 1. Which also leads me to believe that the previous owners were irresponsible or just don't care.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I was talking to my wife about this on the way home. She brought up an interesting point about Pit owners:

The vast majority that both she and I know or have seen, are jackasses.

I doubt there are any official studies done on this, but it would be my guess based on our conversation that the majority of people who purchase a Pit have bad intentions for the dog.

Unlike people who purchase something like a Lab. Does anyone know someone who purchased a Lab with the thought of making it into a killer? I know people purchase other dogs like Rotties and whatnot, but Pits tend to be a lot more "affordable".

Also, if you look at the Oregon Humane Society, Pits outnumber any other breed by at least 3 to 1. Which also leads me to believe that the previous owners were irresponsible or just don't care.
Although this is true banning the breed wil not stop people from being assholes, they will simply get another breed that hasnt been banned yet.
Or maybee we should just ban all animals and be done with it.
Everyone is still saying pitbulls should be banned but every scientific study that has been done on the subject says its nonsense to ban the breed, people just want to be damn ignorant...

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Although this is true banning the breed wil not stop people from being assholes, they will simply get another breed that hasnt been banned yet.
Or maybee we should just ban all animals and be done with it.
Everyone is still saying pitbulls should be banned but every scientific study that has been done on the subject says its nonsense to ban the breed, people just want to be damn ignorant...
Pretty much how I feel about it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I'm not saying it's a good idea to ban the breed. But the fact remains there are way too many of these dogs right now as it is.

I might agree to a ban on BREEDING or at the very least limit it. When you have that many of one breed being abused and overpopulated, then you need to reduce the number. But I think this apples to just about any animal. Too many back yard breeders.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Ive done a lot of research about this subject since my gf ownes a pitbull and i wasnt familiar with the breed and i have found out that lots of research has been done and nobody is listening.
As allways the media has more influence on people then common sence.
I sometimes wonder how all these people are still alive while theyre so dumb we should have been extinct long ago...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I'm not saying it's a good idea to ban the breed. But the fact remains there are way too many of these dogs right now as it is.

I might agree to a ban on BREEDING or at the very least limit it. When you have that many of one breed being abused and overpopulated, then you need to reduce the number. But I think this apples to just about any animal. Too many back yard breeders.

I dont know about the us but if thats the case a temporary breeding stop could be a solution, though it will never work in real life.
Most people in Holland who own a pitbull type dog are normal people and have the dog as a family dog and still the pitbull is forbidden and pitbull type breeds withouth a pedigree are being busted and put down even if they are really friendly and have never done any harm to anyone.
I dont think this problem will go away untill people start thinking.
Which means it wil NEVER go away...

Kevin

Turbo Monkey

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth

I think it is more a case there are too many dogs right now, not specific to Pits.

I couldn't agree more the breeders have a big say in controlling the problem. All breeders should screen their potential customers to ensure proper care. But that's not a pit bull problem. Granted it's trendy that if you want a dogfighting dog, you get a pit. But as has been said several times, if you eliminate their access to pits, this problem will pop back up with another breed.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Maybe they should make dog purchases like handgun purchases. A full background check with a 15 day waiting period or something.

It scares me when I hear people who "got a deal" on a dog. It's not like buying a car where you shop for the lowest price.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
It scares me when I hear people who "got a deal" on a dog. It's not like buying a car where you shop for the lowest price.
http://www.petfinder.com/search.html

Be sure to take note of their example, I guess lots of people are looking for free Pit Bulls:busted:

Exact Breed Match

(i.e. If "Bull Terrier"is typed above, your results WILL NOT include Pit Bull Terriers, but WILL include Bull Terrier MIXES.)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://www.petfinder.com/search.html

Be sure to take note of their example, I guess lots of people are looking for free Pit Bulls:busted:
There are a ton to be had. I know when I was looking for a dog (I always go to the pound first, always) it was easily 50% Pit/Pit mixes. It's sad, really. I would like to think they are great dogs, but my landlord would FLIP if I brought one home. Not to mention my wife.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Maybe they should make dog purchases like handgun purchases. A full background check with a 15 day waiting period or something.
I would so support that kind of legislation. Not just for the pits falling into the wrong hands, but stop pet overpopulation. What is it something like over 1,000,000 dogs per year are euthanized because nobody wants them?

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
In general I have nothing against any particular breed of dog but the Pit that lives in the house behind mine scares the crap out of me. The guy who owns it seems nice enough but he just doesn't seem to have a complete handle on the dog. We have our yard fenced but I was very happy when he put up a 6 foot stockade fence to keep the dog in (rather than the questionable invisible fence).

When he first moved in we were talking over my fence one day about our dogs. Trying to be nice, I offered to have him bring his over to intruduce to mine (an 85 pound American Foxhound/Beagle mix) through the wire fence we have along the back. Big mistake. My dog immediate sensed something not quite right about his dog and wouldn't even go over. When I finally got him to, the other dog freaked and got really aggressive. The guy tried to exert his "power" over the dog. Not really. Any dog that can over power it's owner just doesn't sit well with me. My wife has had to turn around and retrace her steps on walks with our dog because he appeared around the corner with his dog.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I can take my friends pit bull, grab it by the fleshy part of her neck, force her down. She then flops down on her back and extends her rear leg while it twitches/shakes intermittenly. Funny as chit. Try that with a cute little phuggin Jack Russell. Males will chew your arm off. Friend or foe...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
In 14 years of working around dogs, I was never bitten by a pitbull...

schnauzer, yes
chow, yes (oddly enough a dog trainers dog, that was later put to sleep)
english bulldog, yes...although it was more like a loving gnaw
golden retriever, yes
cats, yes
iguana, yes

The most evil dog I ever encountered was a tea cup poodle.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
In 14 years of working around dogs, I was never bitten by a pitbull...

schnauzer, yes
chow, yes (oddly enough a dog trainers dog, that was later put to sleep)
english bulldog, yes...although it was more like a loving gnaw
golden retriever, yes
cats, yes
iguana, yes

The most evil dog I ever encountered was a tea cup poodle.
I doubt any of the jackasses I know who owned a Pit would ever take it to a vet, so that makes a lot of sense. My guess is Vick never took any of his dogs to a vet either.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
^
^
It's funny and sad, the more money some people had, the less money they were inclined to spend on a pet. And the people with no money who would do anything for a pet.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
MMike

I seriously wonder how anyone can be so ignorant and dumb as you are.
Despite everything that has been written here by people that actually have personal experiance with the breed you still try to demonise a whole breed because of what a bunch of bad owners are doing to it.
We have allready established many times that banning the breed doesnt make sense but you ignore everything people are saying and just keep following the media.
Do you actually want to be really really dumb?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Depite what you might think, the "media" did not invent little kids being killed by dogs. It happened. And it hapened enough times to be more than a fluke. Little kid are more important than dogs.

Not to mention, they are ugly ****ing dogs! Even if they weren't vicious, I see NOTHING redeeming about them.

I actually do like like dogs. Just not those.

You aren't going to change my mind. Post all the pics you like. I'm sure Charles Manson and Ted Bundy had cute baby pictures too.

MMike

I seriously wonder how anyone can be so ignorant and dumb as you are.
Despite everything that has been written here by people that actually have personal experiance with the breed you still try to demonise a whole breed because of what a bunch of bad owners are doing to it.
We have allready established many times that banning the breed doesnt make sense but you ignore everything people are saying and just keep following the media.
Do you actually want to be really really dumb?

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
cane corso..that's it! pretty burly looking dog and, according to the "alert", has the same fighting characteristics as the pit; it's just bigger.
a buddy of mine has one thats a 110-115# baby now his lil'cockerspainal (sp?) is a mean fawker that will bite just for looking at it.............

ill take the big blood thirsty dog any day over the toy breeds