Quantcast

Pit Bulls

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
/flamesuit

Most Pits are nice pooches. My neighbors have a pair that are awesome. However, going along with what jimmydean is saying, the dogs are bred to be tenaciously aggressive and powerful. There is no real reason to keep breeding them...I'm not suggesting we go out and euthanize Pits, but there needs to be a concerted effort to stop breeding them. Same should also be said for rotties...

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
tenaciously aggressive and powerful. There is no real reason to keep breeding them...I'm not suggesting we go out and euthanize Pits, but there needs to be a concerted effort to stop breeding them. Same should also be said for rotties...
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
you need to pull your head out in to the sunshine........that is one of the dumbest comments i have ever heard..........that means all guard dogs should stop being breed cause they will bite someone while doing thier job to GUARD your house

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you need to pull your head out in to the sunshine........that is one of the dumbest comments i have ever heard..........that means all guard dogs should stop being breed cause they will bite someone while doing thier job to GUARD your house
You're aware that you're part of the problem, right?

And pitbulls don't just "bite".

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Not really but it would be hard to compromise. Selectively breeding negative traits out of the breed instead of stopping the breed is hard for the general public to tolerate the wait and/or pockets of bad breeders. A German Shepard makes a great guard dog not only because of its size and strength but because of its obedience and brains. Breeds do have genetic and/or stereotypical traits but exceptions won't comfort the public.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Not really but it would be hard to compromise. Selectively breeding negative traits out of the breed instead of stopping the breed is hard for the general public to tolerate the wait and/or pockets of bad breeders. A German Shepard makes a great guard dog not only because of its size and strength but because of its obedience and brains. Breeds do have genetic and/or stereotypical traits but exceptions won't comfort the public.
Same for Rotties, they are just stronger than a Shepard. As in the case I stated earlier, a Shepard is less likely to rip your arm off even when excited because they aren't as powerful.

I trained my Rottie as a service dog because she also served as a guard dog based on sight alone. My ex-wife is 4'8" and 85#, plus she was born without arms. When you saw her walking alone, she was an easy target. When walking with a 100# German bread Rottie, she was far less a target.

My dog was never aggressive, she would not have been certified if she was. But most people would think twice about testing that theory.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
we have a city ordinance that i use a lot. it states that all dogs/cats must be registered w/ the city. it only cost $2 to get the city tags but you have to show proof of shots. i have yet to encounter an "irresponsible pit owner" that has the city tags. if the dog doesn't have tags, i can take it to the pound, no questions asked. i don't go around doing this on a daily basis because it's rather time consuming but every once in a while we make a special project out of it. most of the dogs are never picked up by the owners.

it's fun explaining this process to the dealers and thugs who seem to our biggest pit customers. "my dog will bite you if you try to take it so you can't have it"
"oh..ok then, either you put it in the back seat for me or i'll shoot it and take it with me...you choose"
works everytime ;)

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
You're aware that you're part of the problem, right?
how am i part of the problem?

And pitbulls don't just "bite".
are they starting to carry guns now?

99% of the time it is the owner that cant control the dog........its much like parents and kids........if you let your kid run lose and tear things up and dont control them then we should start banning kids

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
Yeah, having the neighbor kid torn apart by what was the lovable neighborhood rotti kinda impresses that sorta sh!t on you, no?
So what? If a golden retreiver did that would you feel the same about "banning" them?

Golden's are the number one biter in North America, why do we never hear about that?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
So what? If a golden retreiver did that would you feel the same about "banning" them?

Golden's are the number one biter in North America, why do we never hear about that?
Its not unheard of for repeat offender problem animals, domestic or wild, to be put down...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
http://perezhilton.com/?p=2944

Oh no!!! Ban bull mastiffs!! They're out of control!!
A friend of mine had a Mastiff and he used it for stud once. One of the pups from that litter ate a baby in Vancouver. He put his dog down soon after that because he learned a lot about the overall intelligence of the breed after that and he had a small child.

Not a bright breed overall. Not unlike a redneck with an AK.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I know some very nice pitbulls. I even know some really well mannered pits that were badly mistreated until they were 2 or 3 years old.

Banning pits isnt going to stop dog fighting. Instead of lots of pits fighting youd have lots of rottweilers, bulldogs and other dogs.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks like Ving Rhames shouldn't have dogs...

latimes said:
Caretaker killed in dog attack at home of actor Rhames
By Andrew Blankstein, Times Staff Writer
11:21 AM PDT, August 3, 2007

A caretaker was fatally mauled by at least two dogs at the Brentwood home of actor Ving Rhames, who was out of the country filming a movie, police said today.

The man was not immediately identified, but Los Angeles Police Sgt. Lee Sands said he was in his early 40s and had worked for Rhames for two years. Police said they believed that the dogs belonged to the actor.

The victim's body was found lying in the front yard of Rhames' home on the 12900 block of San Vicente Boulevard, covered in bite wounds.

Animal control officers took four dogs into custody, including two bull mastiffs believed to be responsible for the attacks, police said.

LAPD investigators said they would not rule out other possible causes of death, including a heart attack or other medical condition. An autopsy is pending.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
A friend of mine had a Mastiff and he used it for stud once. One of the pups from that litter ate a baby in Vancouver. He put his dog down soon after that because he learned a lot about the overall intelligence of the breed after that and he had a small child.

Not a bright breed overall. Not unlike a redneck with an AK.
so you're saying we can eliminate the redneck? how are you going to distinguish between the innocent ones and the vicious ones? maybe I'm just carrying this gun because I'm hunting pigs, and I got my neck sunburned riding a bicycle. does that mean I got's ta die?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
so you're saying we can eliminate the redneck? how are you going to distinguish between the innocent ones and the vicious ones? maybe I'm just carrying this gun because I'm hunting pigs, and I got my neck sunburned riding a bicycle. does that mean I got's ta die?
An AK in the right hands is ok. Still overkill, but someone who is trained and intelligent is not a threat. Same goes for dogs. A Pit in the right hands is not a threat. The issue is, much like the AK, 90% of people who purchase Pits, are idiots with bad intentions because they are cheap and readily available.

I'm glad that there are people on this site who have Pits that are valuable members of their respective families. Too bad they are the 10%.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
An AK in the right hands is ok. Still overkill, but someone who is trained and intelligent is not a threat. Same goes for dogs. A Pit in the right hands is not a threat. The issue is, much like the AK, 90% of people who purchase Pits, are idiots with bad intentions because they are cheap and readily available.

I'm glad that there are people on this site who have Pits that are valuable members of their respective families. Too bad they are the 10%.
Precisely.

In reference to the crappy golden retriever argument...Most other breeds are not bred for fighting and can't do nearly as much damage as a pit, rotti, bulldog, etc can. My family had a cocker spaniel when I was younger. She bit my sister all the way through the hand when my sister was 2. She was put down the next day. Had the dog been a fighting breed, my sister likely would've lost her hand if not more. Your argument sucks. Fighting dogs do not belong in the general populace, unless the owner and dog gets some sort of licensing/training for the pooch. Once again, I'm not suggesting euthanizing all of them, just no more excessive breeding for the public.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
You think pitbulls are scary.......

At one of the clinics I worked at in CO, we had a wolf-hybrid in for rabies observation. He had gotten out of his yard on more than one occasion and I guess someone in the neighborhood thought it would be funny to let their two rotties loose on this dog. By the time everything was said and done in the confrontation there were two less rotties in the neighborhood and one happy wolf-hybrid.

He was a freakishly huge hybrid, @ 120 lbs. Kind of funny/scary when he would put his front paws on your shoulders and lick your face.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think it is extremely sad what has happened to the pit bull.
I hear so many dumb ass comments concerning the breed,
but if you know the history of them, its easy to see that low class humans ruined the breed.
One misconception is that because the dogs would fight one another that they were mean.
A gazillion years ago when dogfighting finally became illegal in England, these dog owners quickly realized how the dog made an awesome family dog. Since these dogs were bred to fight each other, they were also bred to never attack their handler.
Any human aggression was bred out of the dog. Just like with Labs, a Lab is no good if you go to take the duck out his mouth and he bites you. So they were bred to work with humans.
Their owners discovered that they were extremely loyal and great with children. The dogs were energetic and had a high tolerance for pain. So if a child pulled its tail or stepped on its foot, it would not bite. In England, the dog was called a Stafforshire Bull Terrier, and its nickname became "the nanny dog" because it was known for babysitting children. They also made horrible guard dogs, because they would lick you in the face instead of protecting your home.
Fast forward many years to the American Pit Bull Terrier which is just a bigger dog than the one in England, and it had the same qualities as well.
Remember Petey from the Little Rascals, he is a good example of the old school Pit.
But somewhere along the line, because the dogs looked so tough, it became the dog of choice for asshats. And because these idiots thought that a tough dog should be mean, they started breeding the mean ones. So that when they walked down the street, their penis would feel bigger. Also, drug dealers tried to use Pits to guard their stash, but they sucked at it, so they started breeding the bad ones to try to make them guard dogs. This stuff was going on even back in the 70's. So now of course they are way worse with every ignorant street thug being drug around by one.
The only thing the dog itself is guilty of is being incredibly strong, and too loyal to its owner.
From the right blood line, they still make incredible dogs. There is a reason so many people love them.
From the wrong bloodline, they make the news.
People suck.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Jeremy for president.

The people saying we should ban the entire race are no better then the ones who are actually giving the dogs a bad name.
I think we should devide the human race in 2 groups, Ubermenschen, the ones who actually think, and Untermenschen, the ones who think with their asses, you know like MMike and some other brainwashed by the media losers here. After that we could just send one group to the gas chamber...
You know, just to be sure our kids are safe.

lockstock

Monkey
Mar 6, 2007
i just wanna say that i agree with everything that Jeremy has said, but...

i can't see that they belong in society, not because they are mean or overly agressive but because they can be lethal and i just think that why take that risk and as jeremy said its the idiots that shouldnt have dogs like pit bulls that find them to be so attractive.

As for golden retrievers sure they may be the number 1 biter in north america but what is the ratio between attack and kill ?. Thats the difference right there.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He was a freakishly huge hybrid, @ 120 lbs. Kind of funny/scary when he would put his front paws on your shoulders and lick your face.
Rhames dogs were even bigger...

Several large dogs were running loose on the property when police responded to the scene shortly after 7:15 a.m. (10:15 a.m. ET) and animal control officers took three huge bull mastiffs and an English bulldog into custody.

"It appeared that the person suffered a number of injuries as a result of the dog mauling," Sgt. Lee Sands said. "There were numerous dog bites all over his body, but the exact cause of death is pending the coroner's ruling."

Sands said four dogs, the largest weighing nearly 200 pounds, were being quarantined as part of an investigation into the attack.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Personaly I have no problem with Pits. I know a few people who have them, and aside from my buddy Matt's pit, who pissed on my truck's tire and my buddy Joe's who's dethly afraid of me for some unknown reason, I've never had anything but good experiences with the breed. I'm sure bad Pits exist, just like I'm sure the Golden Retriever that bit me while I walked down the sidewalk was a bad dog, but overall the breed isn't the problem here.

The breed simply has a reputation as a badass dog, so thugs tend to want to own them. Because so many idiots want them you get a disproportionate number of bad Pits as compared to something like a Black Lab.

I do almost agree with a ban on breeding, but beleive a better solution is controlls for dog breeding, regulations that controll breeding of all dogs. There are far too many good dogs out there that end up in the pound or homeless, ratchet back the breeding so that there are about as many dogs in the world as there are loving people to take care of them and almost all your problems go away. Of course you'll still have a black market for killer dogs, just like there is a black market fo automatic riffles. A true criminal will get whatever they want however they can no matter what laws or regulations are in place to prevent it, the best you can hope for is to make it so hard to get a killer Pit. through gov. breeding regulations that all the wannabe gangsters that cause most of the peoblems for Pits give up and look for something else to make them look cool. The hardcore morons will still get their hands on coccain, M-16s, and inbread killer Pits. The one advantage we have in regulating the breeding of dogs that we don't have with guns or drugs is that most thugs lack the skill to breed a dog with the traits they desire, so they could end up getting stuck with with the freindly Pits most of us know and lose interest, get forced back into cockfighting.

Oh and Pigboy, you are an idiot, if we ban pigs as you suggest, where will we get our bacon? And don't tell me turkey bacon is just as good, because turkey bacon sucks!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Jeremy for president.

The people saying we should ban the entire race are no better then the ones who are actually giving the dogs a bad name.
I think we should devide the human race in 2 groups, Ubermenschen, the ones who actually think, and Untermenschen, the ones who think with their asses, you know like MMike and some other brainwashed by the media losers here. After that we could just send one group to the gas chamber...
You know, just to be sure our kids are safe.
It's logic like yours being flawed by the pure love of the breed that amazes me. The breed, as a whole now, is mean. I have not encountered any that just seem super trusting in their eyes. That says a lot about dogs. I don't care who has them, but just like driving drunk, if your dog attacks someone, you should go to prison. People know the inherent dangers of these dogs in modern society, so I don't see the allure. Oh yeah, it's so your dick can seem bigger than it really is. :think:

Here's a story - one Sunday I am sitting in my front yard with my, then 15 month old little girl, working on installing a hose reel on the house when she says "dog". I look up and directly in her face was a pit. He seemed really calm, but I don't know him. One good bite and she would be ruined. I don't need that in my life. Call me a bad person, but had I lived in the country, I would have promptly shot the dog. Why, because I don't like them, don't respect them, and he was invading my space, as many of these dogs do in my town. Having this dog roaming free was the most irresponsible thing the owner can do. It didn't have some little cute collar with hibiscus on it, like my heeler, rather it had a giant studded nylon collar. Guess what kind of owner it has. There lies my problem with the breed.

BTW - didn't macko adopt one of these to later have it attack someone after people told stories of pits being evil then. I see some positive comments from him, but definitely not the drum beating I saw from him in the past.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
The breed, as a whole now, is mean.
That is the dumbest load of crap i have ever heard.
Better do some study on a subject before you talk bull****.
I know I have and to say the whole breed is mean is just plain ignorance.
I didnt buy my dog but it was my girlfriends so no need to act tuff.
Through studying the breed and really getting to know it i have experianced how they really are and therefore actually know what im talking about.
But I guess you know better cause youve heard some crap about m in the news...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
That is the dumbest load of crap i have ever heard.
Better do some study on a subject before you talk bull****.
I know I have and to say the whole breed is mean is just plain ignorance.
I didnt buy my dog but it was my girlfriends so no need to act tuff.
Through studying the breed and really getting to know it i have experianced how they really are and therefore actually know what im talking about.
But I guess you know better cause youve heard some crap about m in the news...
I'm not going to argue with you about it. I didn't say sh*t about banning them, although I wouldn't mind, you clearly have placed a prejudice on me, so I'll just judge you in my mind as well. :cheers:

Ask yourself though, and make sure to ask your insurance agent, about the insurability of pit bull, and other fighting breeds, owner's homes.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
I'm not going to argue with you about it. I didn't say sh*t about banning them, although I wouldn't mind, you clearly have placed a prejudice on me, so I'll just judge you in my mind as well. :cheers:

Ask yourself though, and make sure to ask your insurance agent, about the insurability of pit bull, and other fighting breeds, owner's homes.
Where did I mention you saying anything about banning them??
And yes i have placed a prejudice on you but not even close to the way you prejudice pitbulls and appereantly all their owners...
Your talking in a really serious discussion here but you clearly have no further knowledge about the breed other then what you have read in the media so yes I think you should either get informed or keep out of it.

Oh and the insurance thing is no problem, we have insurance for our dog because theres allways a possibility of it running under a car and causing damage, it could also get attacked by a poodle and it would defend itself but it would never attack the poodle by itself.
I know this because I have experiance with the dog and i trust it.

All the images you see in the media are only the bad owner type dogs but I bet youve never seen one like this one of my girlfriend and our dog...
Vicious huh :cupidarrow:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There was a crazy lady that lived south of here that made this area the dense tiger population in the world. She was able to take care of the cats (24 Bengal Tigers) over two decades without a problem, that must mean everyone can have tigers as pets too. I am sure as an owner she is an expert and has great experience with them too. Her arguments would be exactly the same as yours :rolleyes:

http://www.susanorlean.com/articles/lady_and_tigers.html