Quantcast

PORTLAND Thread

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by gorgechris
Damn, sorry, I didn't check my email earlier! Well, no doubt you boys had fun up there today, as the weather held.

Everybody make it through the day OK? You guys hit that teeter on GP? I still have not worked up the 'nads for that thing. My nemesis has been that skinny at the bottom of Dropout. Hella' tough! Gonna' go work on it tomorrow.
i hit the teeter today! and promptly rode off the side of the ladder (thankfully on the ground). another highlight was watching a few guys from another group ride the skinny connecting post between the two platforms on upper gp. er, that didn't make much sense now. hmm. :D

overall the ride rocked. :thumb: frizanko, get_some, their non-rm buddy and eknomf all showed, and we got two full runs in which makes the ~120 mi of driving entirely worth it imo.

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
Originally posted by Toshi
i hit the teeter today! and promptly rode off the side of the ladder (thankfully on the ground). another highlight was watching a few guys from another group ride the skinny connecting post between the two platforms on upper gp. er, that didn't make much sense now. hmm. :D

overall the ride rocked. :thumb: frizanko, get_some, their non-rm buddy and eknomf all showed, and we got two full runs in which makes the ~120 mi of driving entirely worth it imo.
Yep Tosh, my sentiments exactly...8-track was sweet, The dropzone was great to finaly hit...all in all, I rode bigger and harder yesterday than ever before, I was lovin it...Ryan, good to meet you, sorry about your fork, hopefully we'll get to ride again before I take off foe the summer...Andrew said to say thanls for getting him in on the ride, he was worked today, and is just itching to get back up there, maybe hit some bigger stuff this time, Family man was great for him...cheers yall, hope we can do it again soon...Frank, have a great time in whistler.

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
Man, I've been having dreams about hitting that step-up...it looks so damn good, I also love the big hip at the end of Dropzone or whatever it's called...

Man, a buddy of mine off NSMB was at PC on Sunday, riding in Oregon for the first time and his buddy wouldn't show him the upper shuttle areas, they rode XC all day, and he was pissed, what made it worse is I had the trailer and Jeep, and could have found room for him, but we didn't hook up...GHe said he was mucho impressed with the area though, and rightfully so eh ;)

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so is it too early to start planning for this weekend? any vancouverites want to show me around larch? :D

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Next weekend... Chuck and I will be getting up early in the moanin to hit the road for Whistler. I cant freakin wait!!!
Hope everyone has a good weekend at PC or Larch or wherever y'all end up....:D :monkey: :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
so is it too early to start planning for this weekend? any vancouverites want to show me around larch? :D
anyone want to ride somewhere near portland today? i might not go to hood river tomorrow since the forecast is for rain :dead:

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Anyone want to ride urban downtown Portland around the waterfront Tues? I'm meeting some friends down at the fire station East side by the Hawthorne bridge around 5 pm.
Everyones welcome to come along.

Tim Parker,
Team Mountain Cycle

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Twisted- I'd like to go but I gotta work, no more evening rides for me!

So, WHO'S RIDING THIS WEEKEND? And where are you going? If there's a group going out to PC I may hook up with them, if not maybe a trip to larch could be arranged. I'm up for just about anything, so let me know.

Edit- If we do something local we could also hit some portland urban, or maybe use MAX to shuttle the zoo trails (I haven't done that yet, but maybe someone else has and can show us the good stuff)

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by frizanko
Next weekend... Chuck and I will be getting up early in the moanin to hit the road for Whistler. I cant freakin wait!!!
Hope everyone has a good weekend at PC or Larch or wherever y'all end up....:D :monkey: :D
Hey Frank- how was whistler??? Let us know, even though I'm jealous already....

frizanko

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Bend, OR
Whistler was freakin amazing! We stopped on the way and rode Seymore in the rain, but still had a blast. The weather cleared for Sun.& Mon. And it was bright and sunny. We hit practically everything but kept going back to Dirt Merchant and A-line over and over.
I got beat down pretty good after stackin a few times, but Chuck only took one fall the whole time there. A nasty scorpion off a stairstep rockface.He brushed it off like it was nothing though.
I cant wait to go back...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by TWISTED
Anyone want to ride urban downtown Portland around the waterfront Tues? I'm meeting some friends down at the fire station East side by the Hawthorne bridge around 5 pm.
Everyones welcome to come along.

Tim Parker,
Team Mountain Cycle
do you ever leave later for these rides? i'm stuck in corporate hell (or at least purgatory) until after 5 each day but am otherwise game for urban riding...

good to hear of your successful whistler trip, frank and charlie.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
do you ever leave later for these rides? i'm stuck in corporate hell (or at least purgatory) until after 5 each day but am otherwise game for urban riding...

good to hear of your successful whistler trip, frank and charlie.
[/QUOTE
I usually ride till dark, sometimes later.
Give me a call,
Tim (503) 307-3586

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by TWISTED
I usually ride till dark, sometimes later.
Give me a call,
Tim (503) 307-3586
cool, i'll do so in the future. i rushed home today, only to realize that my z1 is at marzocchi and the rigid fork off my xc bike needs about 1.5" more steerer tube to work on the evil... so i'm out of commission for a while at least :dead:

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Frank sounds like you had a good time now go to leadbetter and do the superman and road gap trust me you will think it is small after being at whistler.

I will be there june 25-27 can't wait.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I was at Whistler 2 days last summer It's mountainbike heaven and the best place to ride but I didn't find any 30 foot drops like the Superman is when hit at full speed. Most stuff at Whistler is pretty tame to keep the tourists safe. I think the tabletops on crabapple hits were the biggest jumps there but they seemed pretty basic considering the long straight-away. At Ledbetter I measured the Junkyard Tabletop at the foot of Superman 40' to clear, 60' to flat.
My section at Ledbetter called Wyte Line has a ladder to 10' drop to 25' kicker over a deep gap with rough rolling landing followed by the 30' downhill triple with a wooden kicker step up over the ditch (20') at the end. Nothing at Whistler or Post Canyon can touch that.

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
Your measurement is way off, the junkie is more like 20' to 25' tops to clear the tabletop and I can bet you that most of the riders that have rode leadbetter would agree. As for the Wyte line you built it look good until you had the step-up ramp which was impossable to clear even you couldn't clear it thats why it was taken down.
Well leadbetter is pretty much dead not much left. The new trails are kicka**.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
The step up was easy if you landed smooth off the triple before it.
Here's a crappy scan of me off the Superman. I've been riding my hardtail alot lately I'm thinking about taking it up to ledbetter and dropping this.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
Here's Jason Ding dropping over me off Sudden Impact. I never dropped it, "TOO SCARY". Slow, then straight down, don't hit a tree!

Get_Some

Chimp
Apr 6, 2004
SW PDX, Oregon
nice pics... I recognize those... I belive that the superman hill as a whole is pretty huge, but you could never hit it to flat, that's unpossible ;) neither drop is that gnarly, it's the run out hat can be sketch eh, really rutted on the right, and really narrow on the left. is your line the one up in the gullry that has that huge gap and than a hit with no landing over on the left looking up the ravine? there are some hits in there that are just not rideable... me, I like the road gap...great run in, great launch, good landing, fun...

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
Hey Portland monkies, I am coming to visit my family in late July and really want to do some riding. I miss dirt, colorado is rock and gravel around me.

Anyway, would love to meet up with you guys for a PC day, the problem is I don't really want to ship my big bike for one or two days of riding. I also have a SS chameleon that would be far easier and cheaper to pack, but am not sure how limiting a hardtail will be.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by KaiMana
Hey Portland monkies, I am coming to visit my family in late July and really want to do some riding. I miss dirt, colorado is rock and gravel around me.

Anyway, would love to meet up with you guys for a PC day, the problem is I don't really want to ship my big bike for one or two days of riding. I also have a SS chameleon that would be far easier and cheaper to pack, but am not sure how limiting a hardtail will be.
take the hardtail! there are single speeders tooling around post canyon on any given weekend...

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
if you ride one you are cooler anyway so bring it and people will think you are cool even if you crash cuz then you can say "yeah but I am on a hardtail"

fosheezy.....

KaiMana

Chimp
Oct 12, 2001
Woodland Park, CO
cool, i will definitley try. I know that there will be some stuff that I would try on the big bike and less likely on the HT, which will piss me off if I don't.

Just as long as it is not super huck oriented (all the good trails have drops over say 6') I will be happy on the HT.

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
but i have become a beattcchhh. i play hoops all the time and trying to find 4 or 5 hours to ride is tough.

also when I went to larch i fell off a skinny and hit the back of my head under my helmet on a branch that was sticking up. I did not get hurt too bad but it got me thinking........

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Originally posted by gunslingger
but i have become a beattcchhh. i play hoops all the time and trying to find 4 or 5 hours to ride is tough.

also when I went to larch i fell off a skinny and hit the back of my head under my helmet on a branch that was sticking up. I did not get hurt too bad but it got me thinking........
Yeah, I get to thinking sometimes too. It gets me into more trouble than it's worth- I could get hurt riding my bike, crossing the road, driving my car, hell, even eating a hamburger...... but which one would be the most fun? At least if you're riding and you get hurt you're having some fun and it wouldn't be some pointless injury.

BTW- good to hear from you again, we were starting to think you forgot about mountain bikes or something....

gunslingger

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Vancouver, WA
you are completely right, i could get killed in the jack in the box drive through on my way to a poetry reading!

anotherissue is my time, i have been seriously busy. wow i sound sad huh? anyhow if it was not raining and i was not working i would be out shredding......

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
It's a 3-day weekend, so is anyone up for riding sunday or monday? We could all meet up for an urban sesh, or a zoo run, or larch, or ???.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by zane
It's a 3-day weekend, so is anyone up for riding sunday or monday? We could all meet up for an urban sesh, or a zoo run, or larch, or ???.
i'm up for urban! or any of that, really.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I'm in for urban.
Going riding out near Hood River Sunday morning, shuttling downhill trails. We know a place that should be dry. Anyone want to join me and a couple friends?

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I guess urban sounds good for tomorrow, what time are you all available? I'm thinking around 1 or 2, downtown portland. Maybe we could ride MAX up the hill and shuttle the zoo trails too...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by zane
I guess urban sounds good for tomorrow, what time are you all available? I'm thinking around 1 or 2, downtown portland. Maybe we could ride MAX up the hill and shuttle the zoo trails too...
any time is good for me. 22 + single == lots of time :D

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
looks like toshi and I are gonna hit some p-town urban today, we're meeting at river city bikes at 3:00. if anyone else wants to show up you're welcome to come, or give me a call if you wanna meet up with us later- my cell

Last edited: