Quantcast

Post Your Custom DH Rig!!!!! Do it! Do it!

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dirtjumpP.1 said:
no, the word is snappy-ness
What, a pair of carbon handlebars broke on you once?

You do know carbon is alot stronger than aluminum, and those BCDs are one of the strongest frames around.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
carbon fiber isnt stornger than alum. the strength as compaired the weight is better than aluminum, but its not as strong or durable.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dirtjumpP.1 said:
carbon fiber isnt stornger than alum. the strength as compaired the weight is better than aluminum, but its not as strong or durable.
Well, actually, as anything, it depends on how there used, and carbon done right is alot stronger and lighter than a similar aluminum component. Plus, those BCDs are done right, with Alex doing all the fab himself and generally knowing whats up.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
thats all well and good, but you get a nick or gouge in it, its in the trash. mtb is to rough of a sport for carbon fiber... we beat **** up.... thats what we do.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
dirtjumpP.1 said:
thats all well and good, but you get a nick or gouge in it, its in the trash. mtb is to rough of a sport for carbon fiber... we beat **** up.... thats what we do.
Wrong, not on those BCDs. I don't know what Alex does, or how he does it, but i've ridden and seen one that has many nicks and gouges in it that is going on its 3rd or 4th year of National racing.

Just because carbon handlebars are thin and snap when improperly used, doesn't mean everything carbon does.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
No way. Carbon fiber is, like, not metal. And metal is good. That's why me and my friend bought some metal pipes and are gonna, like, solder them together and make a kickass steel frame.

BCDs, I think, don't have problems just because the tubes are so incredibly thick. Nicks in the top layer simply don't seem to matter. On the two or three I've seen, that is. Honestly, abrasion and de-lamination were mental concerns of mine when I thought about the bikes...but that goes away when you ride one, like Sherpa said.

MD

Sep 29, 2004
dirtjumpP.1 said:
tensile strength of carbon depends on alot of things but it is in fact stronger than aluminum as far as tensile strength goes.... but once one of the fibers breaks the carbon is done

edit: carbon handlebars break when people over-tightne the stem bolts and once again break the fibers

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
MikeD said:
PERCY...someone stole your Kona? At Port Hills? Christchurch is about as big as a postage stamp...find him and destroy him!
Aye laddie,I was well ropable! :mad:

It wont be hard to spot,with the custom brake mount and all,and because there's only 5 in the South Island,and I know 3 of the other riders,but still,its MY BIKE and I want it back dagnabbit!! :mumble:

If it sits in a garage for months it will be too late,as soon as the insurance pays out it belongs to them and I'll have to pay to get it back.

Oh and on the subject of carbon,here's a carbon bike that as far as I know has never been broken,I know a dude who's wrecked an M1,a Foes Mono,a Keewee,and a Cannondale,but has had his Lahar for over 2 years and only had to resin up a small peice after he bashed a rock with it.

Attachments

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
is lahar still in buisness? carbon fiber, super low cg, built-in rohloff - super cool design. i saw one in whistler a couple years ago, but they seem to be rarer than a rare thing. whats the story?

Jayridesacove

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2004
Falls Church, VA
Ciaran said:
She's done, but I don't have any pics of her done yet. But here's a pic of the frame...

04 Super T
Azonic Outlaw wheels
Shimano XT 4 pot brakes
Azonic cranks, Mallet pedals
and an SDG leopard print saddle

I'll take some pics and send them to you.

Oh yeah, I LOVE the ride!
I miss my frame :(

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
monkeyboy424 said:
chill dude, stop harrassing everyone on if their bike is custom or not. also stop harassing people on how to post pics. its starting to become annoying

:stupid:

He's a condescending asshole

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
xy9ine said:
is lahar still in buisness? carbon fiber, super low cg, built-in rohloff - super cool design. i saw one in whistler a couple years ago, but they seem to be rarer than a rare thing. whats the story?
Aaron the builder got into financial bothers a while ago,but last I heard he had new moulds and was about to begin making frames again,albeit a slightly different version.
If I dont get my Stab back,I was thinking about getting one,I now know 3 people with them,and they all wont ever get another bike,which says a lot!

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Percy said:
Aaron the builder got into financial bothers a while ago,but last I heard he had new moulds and was about to begin making frames again,albeit a slightly different version.
If I dont get my Stab back,I was thinking about getting one,I now know 3 people with them,and they all wont ever get another bike,which says a lot!
keep us posted if something happens. those were some crazy bikes

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
xy9ine said:
Last I heard, they'd closed shop. But asking about them in NZ generally just drew nasty glares and the stink-eye, so I stopped asking.

Edit: Oh, I see Percy's already informed us of the troof. Nevermind.

MD

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
notice how dirtjumpp.1 only responds when he can say something negative.....loser

i give everyone permission to put a link on if they want to, ignore what dirtjumpp.1 says ITS OK TO....haha i took your authority :nuts:

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
hmmm... im negetive about carbon.... and bender huck bikes..... i wasnt being negative about the dude's hardtail, its just built up just like a jump bike. and i dont think your in any position to be giving any kind of authority..... mr. 102 posts.... yours still an rm virgin. i on the other hand am an rm slut.can you handle it?

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
dirtjumpP.1 said:
and i dont think your in any position to be giving any kind of authority..... mr. 102 posts.... yours still an rm virgin.

Just because you have more posts than someone doesn't make you better.....Or wiser....Or in your case, smarter

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
dirtjumpP.1 said:
hmmm... im negetive about carbon.... and bender huck bikes..... i wasnt being negative about the dude's hardtail, its just built up just like a jump bike. and i dont think your in any position to be giving any kind of authority..... mr. 102 posts.... yours still an rm virgin. i on the other hand am an rm slut.can you handle it?
hey mister negative....

get out of this thread.

thank you.

PS. from all your pointless posts, it seems that you don't even own a DH bike, so stop telling people what is and isn't a DH bike.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
it isnt a dh bike.... you can ride it for dh, i do, hell.... any one can... its a great bike, what dont you understand?

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
what i dont understand is why you have to tell everyone if or if not their bike is "downhill" when you dont even own a "downhill" bike. how can you tell the difference? is it becasue you have more than 1,000 posts?

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
InsaneP2Rider said:
^ that ^ is sick (the V10). freakin beautiful rig man. I'm not a big fan of boxxers, but i guess it still goes well with the bike. ahh... i love the new V10's
Yah, your ride is sick. I bet it rips.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
MikeD said:
No way. Carbon fiber is, like, not metal. And metal is good. That's why me and my friend bought some metal pipes and are gonna, like, solder them together and make a kickass steel frame.

BCDs, I think, don't have problems just because the tubes are so incredibly thick. Nicks in the top layer simply don't seem to matter. On the two or three I've seen, that is. Honestly, abrasion and de-lamination were mental concerns of mine when I thought about the bikes...but that goes away when you ride one, like Sherpa said.

MD
Yea, i'm not sure how many he's made, or how many are being ridden, but i can say its less than you can count on two hands.

Watch out for some pics later this year of some new things Alex is doing with the BCDs, they're going to be very pimp and i may have to be a test monkey.