Quantcast

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
uh, until about 23 weeks the chances are 0 to the best of my knowledge. can't survive if your lungs haven't formed yet.
it (as an arbitrary life form) will have a non-negligible change of making it to 23 weeks... unless you do something out of the ordinary.

of course, not on "its own", in terms relative to independance, as it needs a womb to survive.... but on "its own" as on "it will maybe or likely get somewhere, if you dont disturb it while its attached to its life-support system".... which is different than say an unfertilized egg... which will go nowhere on its own, or a fertilized egg in vitro... which will not survive unless you go out of your way to put it on a uterus.....

"on its own" being the tricky definition here. "purposely interruption" another trick definition.
its not the same to "fail to save" than to "go to walmart, get a rifle and ammo, wait 12 hours and shoot in the face". hyperbole to make my point.

no need to resort to an arbitrary morality, or to reduce any opposing view to religious fanatism or anything.
not to say am not pro-abortion. while i do have an ethical distaste over it, doesnt mean i dont see its utilitarian value.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
and to follow: does your [toshi] position follow medical technology, even to the point of becoming for you a flavor of dogma?

it's not a setup question. just want to know what influences your position.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
and to follow: does your [toshi] position follow medical technology, even to the point of becoming for you a flavor of dogma?

it's not a setup question. just want to know what influences your position.
hmm? are you asking whether my threshold of 23 weeks, or whatever the current earliest possibly-viable date is, would be revised downward if we discovered a safe, cost-effective, and reliable way to make, say, 18 week fetuses viable? i'd say yes, but only after it was proven. premie babies have enough problems as it is, brain damage for one...

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
"teen" == "women"?
Well you asked for numbers of similar magnitude. I gave you a subset of the whole and those numbers alone are magnitudes larger than yours. I think it's safe to assume that the proportion of "unwanted" pregnancies declines with age, and it is probably statistically fair to call all pregnancies to 15-17yo girls "unwanted" and births "unplanned."

So yes, you such got pwn3r8ted.