Quantcast

Progressive cease MTB shock manufacture.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Not to speculate on anything with Progressive but just because a company informs something to the public doesn't that is what they are acutually doing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
CBJ said:
Not to speculate on anything with Progressive but just because a company informs something to the public doesn't that is what they are acutually doing.
And a rumour from a pissed off ex distributor is more valid? Seems to me like both need to be taken with a grain of salt, which pretty much means the status quo.

J

JRB

CBJ said:
Yeah - rumor on ridemonkey seems far more credible.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Easy boys I didn't say anything about the rumour or the credibility of anything here on Ridemonkey. Just a general comment on the reliability of company information. Grain of salt strategy seems like a good idea.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
Was word from the company itself not good enough?
There ya go tough guy...

From a poster on NSMB.com

"I spoke to a helpful guy on their Techline.

He confirmed for me that Progressive are indeed getting _out_ of the
mountain bike suspension business.

Hope this clears things up for everyone.

Dave"

J

JRB

CBJ said:
Easy boys I didn't say anything about the rumour or the credibility of anything here on Ridemonkey. Just a general comment on the reliability of company information. Grain of salt strategy seems like a good idea.
I did take into account that he is a sales guy, and that makes me question a little bit. :think:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
There ya go tough guy...

From a poster on NSMB.com

"I spoke to a helpful guy on their Techline.

He confirmed for me that Progressive are indeed getting _out_ of the
mountain bike suspension business.

Hope this clears things up for everyone.

Dave"
Uh, ya sure.

Also, 3rd hand word, from a "guy on nsmb", still doesn't go very far in my books vs someone who actually works for the company (whether he is in sales or not).

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
He called Progressive and asked a technical service rep. Why don't you call them directly and clear it up for us? No biggie pal.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
He called Progressive and asked a technical service rep. Why don't you call them directly and clear it up for us? No biggie pal.
Because 1 a tech rep probably has no clue, because 2 I seriously have better things to do then track down a random internet rumour.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
...or 3) be possibly proven wrong.

I've got a reliable source who said the same thing.

Draw your own conclusions, but once that's made public, guess who's going to be reminding you? No need to get bent outta shape buddy.;)

Here ya go:

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/contact.html
Phone & Fax Numbers:
--For Literature - 877.690.7411
--Warranty / Techline - 760.948.4012
--Fax - 760.948.4307

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
...or 3) be possibly proven wrong.

I've got a reliable source who said the same thing.

Draw your own conclusions, but once that's made public, guess who's going to be reminding you? No need to get bent outta shape buddy.;)
Oh Dear - I may be proven wrong in front of the INTERNETS! By a bike company Canadian distributor's rep of all things.

Ya, like I really care.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Yes you do or you wouldn't be wasting your valuable time on this silly little internet stuff, eh Mr. 5747 posts?

Are you still upset I called you out on a 35-36lb bike?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
This isn't Enron here (Kenneth Lay encouraged his own employees to buy Enron stock a few months before the financial allegations came out).

EDIT: Maybe Pat Lovro is a fake account too? But I wouldn't run down any internet rumors either. Until Progressive issues an official statement, I am taking everything here with a grain of salt.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Yes you do or you wouldn't be wasting your valuable time on this silly little internet stuff, eh Mr. 5747 posts?

Are you still upset I called you out on a 35-36lb bike?
1 - you didn't call out anything. You are simply too retarded to read a scale.

2 - I work all day on the internet, and it's fun to make guys like you angry.

edit: and it's more like 10k posts, they pruned the database. Also, I've been proven wrong by WAY more important people than you.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I for one love my 5th on my single pivot frame (my Bullit was nice too). Seeing how I will be racing said frame this season, I am also glad to hear that they have yet to close the doors.

I still like my Stratos better on the 4 bar setup, but that's just me.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hey Can't Climb...one of the most dramatic difference you get to see on the graphs of the dyno is the ACTUAL effects that the full range of adjustments each individual adjuster for high and low speed compression and rebound actually affect the damping characteristics of the shock in comparison to those of other brands...you get to see what your adjusters will actually accomplish across their range in terms of affecting resistance at different speeds.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
Also, I've been proven wrong by WAY more important people than you.
Ooo, that was brilliant! Insults! Hey, I'm raising 4 happy kids, I think that's a level of importance that isn't measureable, but is far more important than anything bike related. You be the judge.

Its going to suck when you get proven wrong by unimportant me.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Wayne said:
Ooo, that was brilliant! Insults! Hey, I'm raising 4 happy kids, I think that's a level of importance that isn't measureable, but is far more important than anything bike related. You be the judge.

Its going to suck when you get proven wrong by unimportant me.
That was my point, nothing bike related is important. Not a single thing actually.

And like I said, I could honestly not care less.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
So whats the upshot of all this?

Progressive are still in buisness but they are no longer making shocks for push bikes?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
klunky said:
So whats the upshot of all this?

Progressive are still in buisness but they are no longer making shocks for push bikes?
The result is NOTHING has changed. Nothing, zip, zero, nada, nothing. Progressive is as it was before this thrread was started.

Wayne

Monkey
Dec 27, 2005
Kamloops, BC
Transcend said:
That was my point, nothing bike related is important. Not a single thing actually.

And like I said, I could honestly not care less.
Then we agree on something? Oh dear! ;)

I'm not assuming anything about their future in the biz - things happen. I hope they stay in because they make decent product. It could be better, but its still ok. Loosing a player in the already lacking suspension game is not the best news.

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
The funny part is I've been waiting three months for this thread.
And now it is even funnier than I could have imagined.

Keep it up guys.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
sanjuro said:
Until Progressive issues an official statement, I am taking everything here with a grain of salt.
Pat Lovro does indeed work inside at Progressive. This is the real deal scoop boys.

-ska todd

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ska todd said:
Pat Lovro does indeed work inside at Progressive. This is the real deal scoop boys.

-ska todd
uhh yeah, but lets pretend they were going to get out of the market, wouldnt the sales director claim that it's not true in order to not hurt current sales of stock? I think finding out who the source was is a more legitimate way of figuring out if anythings going on if anything.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
zedro said:
uhh yeah, but lets pretend they were going to get out of the market, wouldnt the sales director claim that it's not true in order to not hurt current sales of stock? I think finding out who the source was is a more legitimate way of figuring out if anythings going on if anything.
Oswald didn't shoot Kennedy...the moon landing was done on a Hollywood backlot...

-ska todd

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
zedro said:
Iron Horse doesnt use Ridemonkey as a marketing tool....
I would hope that Todd knows what's going on with his suppliers. It's hard to sell bikes with no rear shocks. And don't say he can just call up any other shock supplier and have a 1000 of them on his dock tommorow.

That said, he probably has that last of his production run sitting in a container right now.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
ChrisKring said:
I would hope that Todd knows what's going on with his suppliers. It's hard to sell bikes with no rear shocks. And don't say he can just call up any other shock supplier and have a 1000 of them on his dock tommorow.
yeah and unfortunatly it's not in a companies interest to leak that sort of info, especially to a big OEM client. If a company has a roadmap to end production in say two years, do you think he'll tell his major clients that? No respectable company wants to buy product that'll be defunct in the near future; their clients wont be appreciative of being stuck with the consequence.

It's funny tho, guys like him should be the ones concerned about the possibility, not us, and it's not all that far-fetched either.

but yeah it's still hearsay and rumor, but if i were him I'd be interested in finding out who is generating the claim and why, and not just let the head of Sales (who's job it is to reign in these type of things) who's never seemed to take interest here before it seems simply say "not true" and bask in the honesty of salesmen.

geez it wouldnt even be a conspiracy, it would be a normal buisness practice :rolleyes:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Wow, we see a wide range of skepticism this evening don't we.

In the end it doesn't really matter who wins this argument, if Progressive pulls out of the market nothing we say could change that, if they keep making shocks it's not because 15 nerds had nothing better to do than speculate on the internet. Progressive will do what's best for Progressive, and I hope that it means staying in business by any means possible with or without 5th element shocks.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't think it matters for the simple fact that an SPV system can never deliver the performance of a good shimmed system (avalanche, CC, etc).

SPV was a fad. They're trying to prolong/revive it right now, but it's on it's way out. Low speed compression damping, when done right, will give the benefit of increased pedaling performance, without sacrificing ride quality as much as a threshold does. The only way to fix this, is to make "SPV" not act like "SPV". Kind of self defeating. Fox has the most "decoupled" "SPV" type of shock out there, if anything, this is closer to the future, but even still, it has some harshness that is not found in the other damping systems mentioned above.

The only redeaming factor is the adjustable progression.

I've tried/used a lot of SPV stuff. On bikes where it came OEM, I switched it out for improved ride quality.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Jm_ said:
Fox has the most "decoupled" "SPV" type of shock out there, if anything, this is closer to the future, but even still, it has some harshness that is not found in the other damping systems mentioned above.
there's is harshness in a Fox DHX.......?.........i have yet to feel this, DHX is the smoothest shock i have ever ridden. It's so smooth it feels invisible back there sometimes.......

The 5th element on the other had......thats a harsh banger on descends...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Cant Climb said:
there's is harshness in a Fox DHX.......?.........i have yet to feel this, DHX is the smoothest shock i have ever ridden. It's so smooth it feels invisible back there sometimes.......

The 5th element on the other had......thats a harsh banger on descends...
The DHX is a little harsher then the RC, swapping back anbd forth you can feel it. However, its barely noticable, and certainly not an issue.