Quantcast

Public service announcement from Marzocchi USA

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by Soul Rider
Did you start this thread....No, RM did with a personal e-mail sent directly to him. Look at it from our side for a minute. Thanks.

You know, if Bryson would have been a little more considerate about the situation and explained it a little more instead of "I'll take legal action" blah blah blah....I'm sure this thread would have never gotten started.

Shouldn't you go home now?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
The last thing we need is for our new spec sheets to end up on a public forum (as well as Bryson's letter). He might have been a bit harsh but "this" thread was completely BS. RM, or whoever you are (why don't you peps posts your details, are you hiding from someone?) I understand and knew you didn't post it but at the same time you are classless, a true non-professional in this little industry of MTB's. Sorry I had to say it. ExcussME!
I wouldn't be surprised if you disolved my access to your site but that would indeed prove my point.

Business is business let's leave it at that.

Wow I liked the tone in your first post much more than this one. :(

FYI,
I have RS, Fox and Manitous 2005 OEM book sitting right here next to my scanner. Why shouldn't I post this stuff????? I know better. I worked for Manitou (R&D) for 10 years (left 6 months ago) and I even know a lot of their 2006 line but it still does not give me the right to "share it".

Thanks again, any suggestions are greatly appricated.
Well being that you work in the industry. More specifically the suspension industry.....(*edit* nevermind you work for Marz again....I am :confused: :) ?). By all means, go right ahead and publish that info. I think you like your job enough that you will refrain. ;)

Now your beef should be with the individual linking/posting the info. Not addressing the moderators solely regarding this matter. The person posting the info is the one in trouble....or maybe I missed something? They have the private/confidential information and made it public. It just seems your attention is missdirected. Maybe you have contacted the person at fault....

As far as RM's tone in his posts, it seemed matter of fact and informational. Very reserved in regard to a letter like the one that came from Mr Martin. I say your first post in this thread was worthy of a big :thumb: This last post, well...............

It probably wasn't the best PR move.

RhinofromWA

Shmoe

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Calgary, Canada eh?
Marzocchi sure hires some REALLY smart guys:dead:
How great would this look:

"Marzocchi sues large MTB website for hosting prototype pictures"

Thats gonna boost up those sales:)

Im just gonna laugh....

And buy a manitou;)

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
Originally posted by mplutodh1
I dunno... whatever, not sure who you are or if you are even credible.
ME? I've been involved in MTB's since 1984.

I am the Technical Director for Marzocchi USA.

I work my ass off to help all you consumers! I'm one too.
:D

I deleted all the achivements (better to be a has been than a never was;) )

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Originally posted by Transcend
I'll vouch for Tom, he has been around the block.
Thats fine... sounds like he has (not that I needed a full speach on his acheivments but whatever)

The problem we are all having right now is the way things are being done. I never denied that the info probably shouldnt have been posted. Pics whatever they are gonna get out, you asked for it by showing them to anyone in the public. The specs yeah ok that was an F up on the posting party's part. My beef is when you and Bryson blame RM or whoever for posting this and threaten legal action. Clearly the homework wasn't done before the email was sent, which for someone in his position in such a respectable company should have been first nature.

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
Hey Tom

I knwo i have absolutely no business in this but here goes...

Just as Bryson has has a large stake in his company and is quite passionate about it, so do RM and Freak here (co-owners).

I think you have to both see things from the others point of view. RM didn't post anything, didn't know about anything and got a pissy email threatening legal action? Can you at least see how that would piss someone off?

Although for this occasion I have to admit that RM maybe went a bit overboard printing the name/company asociated with the email.

As for Bryson's concern's, I can completely understand his point of view as well, as expectations will be created (and possibly broken) due to next model year's spec sheets hitting the public domain, especially when they are clearly marked as confidential.

I also think that Bryson could have made it CLEAR what photos where the problem, first time i heard about it, i understood it was the actual product photos taken at the display, which would have been bizarre, as they were on display. I think a clear professional please remove it email, would have gone alot further and eliminated much of the drama.

Ok referee mode done. Just tryin' to keep the peace.
I agree. I did just that. But he made it happen....and it left a mark.
We here at Marzocchi want nothing more than to make great product for all to enjoy. Thanks for everything.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Thats fine... sounds like he has (not that I needed a full speach on his acheivments but whatever)

The problem we are all having right now is the way things are being done. I never denied that the info probably shouldnt have been posted. Pics whatever they are gonna get out, you asked for it by showing them to anyone in the public. The specs yeah ok that was an F up on the posting party's part. My beef is when you and Bryson blame RM or whoever for posting this and threaten legal action. Clearly the homework wasn't done before the email was sent, which for someone in his position in such a respectable company should have been first nature.
I won't argue that. I do want to point out that most people aren't as "internet savvy" as they could be when it comes to things like this...

What seems obvious to college students who spend their days online, isn't always as clear cut to a big wig business person who checks their coorporate email and "downloads" things from diskettes... you know? :rolleyes: :D :monkey:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I won't argue that. I do want to point out that most people aren't as "internet savvy" as they could be when it comes to things like this...

What seems obvious to college students who spend their days online, isn't always as clear cut to a big wig business person who checks their coorporate email and "downloads" things from diskettes... you know? :rolleyes: :D :monkey:
Internet Savy?

That letter wasn't savy in any application....least most, addressed to RM. That is what the beef was about....I think.

Maybe Mr Martin needs to go to a class to work on personal (internet) skills? :) just kidding! ......well, kinda. :o:

I would be just as put off if that came to me snail mail.

No time should that have left the office...thru internet or mail.

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Now we are getting somewhere. Bryson only operates a palm pilot and a cell phone (he can ride like a Banshee though too)

How but we all go ride our bikes and drink beer whenever we have something we want to complain about...negativity sucks. Why complain..constructive critisism is the way to go.

I'm going to go get drunk...then ride my bike!

Jul 19, 2002
Vancouver Washington
This is to Bryson Martin VP of Marzocchi USA:

YOU ARE AN IDOT for sending a threatening letter like that to Ridemonkey.

1) Neither Marzocchi nor you have any legal action that can be taken against Ridemonkey or its members for if you did your lawyer would have written the letter.
2) When you show a new product at a trade show expect photos to be taken and posted. So get use to it. If you would not like your products to be photographed then put your products in a box and only show them to people that won’t take photos.
3) In your letter it states that “I assume you realize that they are pictures of the 2005 line…” Nowhere that I can see in the photos does it say that these are the 2005 products. (I am basing this off the photos I found of the 66 fork). So yes people can assume that they are. To bad you let out that they are from the 2005 line.
4) Next time you write a letter be a professional don’t threaten someone with legal action first. I am sure if you where to ask in a polite manner those photos would have been removed right away.

The men and women at Marzocchi put out in my option the best products I have ridden. To bad your VP acts like a fool.

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
dude, next time, please read thread in advance. It wasn't the "product" photos, it was the scans/pictrues of the spec sheets that are marked confidential.

Anyways, I'm gonna go ride some rollers. You kids are on your own now, play nice.:monkey:
haha man... you need to update your avatar! wishing its xmas again!?:D

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Team managering/being a media whore is fun

Haha I know how the team managering thing goes... my living room was jam packed with Rockgardn stuff, 11 flak jackets, tons of knee/shin, goggles, gloves, you name it the team got it, Clif Bar's for the roadies/xc guys, FSA parts gallor, Park Tools, Maxxis on its way, sportworks on its way, hayes on its way... haha you get the idea too!:) its awesome to see all the goodies but its a lot of work too!

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop

Why complain..constructive critisism is the way to go.
Alright, the 888 is a great fork.
How's about next year, lower it so that it comes up to Yao Ming's waist instead of up to his chin.
Is this what you meant?;)

And take away your VP's CPU and drop a Super Monster on it from 100 feet up. That way he can't fire off ridiculously silly e-mails that hurts his credibility and damages the reputation of a great fork company.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I suppose when it's all said and done, Ridemonkey and Freak should be proud that their little website is worthy of such attention from a corporate VP.

I mean, a year and a half ago people were predicting that this site couldn't survive without Zonic Man, but now here it is with record membership numbers and industry VP's surfing :D

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
It sounds like NONE of this was handled very well from the get-go....
Bryson is obviously not very adept at dealing with humans or how to get things done in much simpler ways, but see his point. It's not the pics or the scans that bother him...it's WRONG INFORMATION. There was already mention of ride heights, etc, which means opinions are already forming, even if only subconsciously. And they are based on nothing, so I see his concern.
RM's post on the main page of this wbsite made it SOUND like he had genuine concern. His"Knock it off..." statement sounded like an administrator putting his foot down. Good. But then it just went down hill from there....into name calling and finger pointing. If there were 20 kids and one babysitter in a paking lot throwing rocks at your bike, who are you going to jump on first? Too many kids, so go after the sitter. RM is our sitter, so he SHOULD take the heat. He should have handled it smoother, brushed it off, and then Bryson would still look like the jerk and there would be no other fingers being pointed in any other directions.
Bryson? 2 words buddy...Anger Management. I could almost SEE you throwing a tantrum on the floor in your fit of rage. No need to yell when a "please" would have gotten SOOOO much farther. The info was obviously obtained my a Marz fan, not a hater. But I'm willing to bet that may change now.
I've always believed that a product is only as good as the people behind it. LUCKILY for you, I just had a mind blowingly pleasant experience with a rep(Tracy) concerning my Super T that left me with nothing but warm fuzzy feelings!
But man, Bryson...I wouldn't even ride with you, dude. And THAT says a LOT.

switch

Chimp
Nov 21, 2003
North Vancouver
Originally posted by Echo
I suppose when it's all said and done, Ridemonkey and Freak should be proud that their little website is worthy of such attention from a corporate VP.
So true.

FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt). Drop some hints on what you'll be doing that is better than the competitor (via photos, rumours, etc.), and sway the buyer from buyin from the competitor.

What you don't want is a commitment to potential buyers that you can be held accountable for. This is known as a "whooping crane".

The Taiwan show photos are typical FUD that pops up all the time in business.

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
Originally posted by THRILLSEEKA
It sounds like NONE of this was handled very well from the get-go....
Bryson is obviously not very adept at dealing with humans or how to get things done in much simpler ways, but see his point. It's not the pics or the scans that bother him...it's WRONG INFORMATION. There was already mention of ride heights, etc, which means opinions are already forming, even if only subconsciously. And they are based on nothing, so I see his concern.
RM's post on the main page of this wbsite made it SOUND like he had genuine concern. His"Knock it off..." statement sounded like an administrator putting his foot down. Good. But then it just went down hill from there....into name calling and finger pointing. If there were 20 kids and one babysitter in a paking lot throwing rocks at your bike, who are you going to jump on first? Too many kids, so go after the sitter. RM is our sitter, so he SHOULD take the heat. He should have handled it smoother, brushed it off, and then Bryson would still look like the jerk and there would be no other fingers being pointed in any other directions.
Bryson? 2 words buddy...Anger Management. I could almost SEE you throwing a tantrum on the floor in your fit of rage. No need to yell when a "please" would have gotten SOOOO much farther. The info was obviously obtained my a Marz fan, not a hater. But I'm willing to bet that may change now.
I've always believed that a product is only as good as the people behind it. LUCKILY for you, I just had a mind blowingly pleasant experience with a rep(Tracy) concerning my Super T that left me with nothing but warm fuzzy feelings!
But man, Bryson...I wouldn't even ride with you, dude. And THAT says a LOT.
He is a tough one to ride with. Thankfully I can hand him his ass at the drop of a hat;)

Thanks Thrillseeka, I wish I could have said it like that in the first place. It was the linked photos and not the original posted picture, he should have made it more clear.

Tracy, Ronnie, Mike, Sean, Tim, Brian, Paul and the rest of the crew are all in the trenches trying to keep everyone happy. We abide by the rules and do what we can get away with. Sorry about the headache.

Now back to our regularly scheduled opinions :D

How's the riding on the shore right now? Any???? Anybody? I'm coming up, business;)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Hey, with this being such a critical issue that legal action was warranted, why not really drive the message home by posting the message straight from the man himself?

I expect courteous and professional communications from industry "professionals". I can post a polite email from any other professional iin the biz, so Bryson gets a special pass just cuz he's mean and nasty? Nah.....

Oh almost forgot - I can't be held liable for anything I do cuz I'm really "stupid".

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
Hey, with this being such a critical issue that legal action was warranted, why not really drive the message home by posting the message straight from the man himself?

I expect courteous and professional communications from industry "professionals". I can post a polite email from any other professional iin the biz, so Bryson gets a special pass just cuz he's mean and nasty? Nah.....

Oh almost forgot - I can't be held liable for anything I do cuz I'm really "stupid".
I sure don't blame you for posting the letter, I just really wished you could have handled it a little cooler so you didn't come off sounding similar to Bryson, ya' know? That way, it would have been very obvious who was lacking tact...I'm sure there will be a next time, though...:(
But NEXT time, just throw your feet up, and let us kids throw the rocks...;)

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by THRILLSEEKA
I sure don't blame you for posting the letter, I just really wished you could have handled it a little cooler so you didn't come off sounding similar to Bryson, ya' know? That way, it would have been very obvious who was lacking tact...I'm sure there will be a next time, though...:(
But NEXT time, just throw your feet up, and let us kids throw the rocks...;)
Other than using the word "ass", I was just reporting the facts. So sorry bout the ass part. The rest I stand by. Just like I didn't like R.C. "advice", I don't like Brysons abysmal attitude. Since RM doesn't have many industry affiliations, I think we'll just dish the dirt any time we feel it's appropriate.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, it's your site, say ass all you want!!!:D
I like to drag it out like: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss...but then my wife pops into my head and I have dirty thoughts and....I have to go now...

Soul Rider

Chimp
Mar 18, 2004
Santa Clarita, Ca.
Originally posted by Ridemonkey

Great minds think alike ;)

Cat Daddy

Chimp
Dec 17, 2002
What was written:

To whom it may concern,

You have posted unauthorized pictures of my 2005 product line. The pictures were taken in Taiwan, at my booth last week. _I assume you realize that they are pictures of my 2005 line and I think you realize that releasing this information too early is a disservice to Marzocchi and your subscribers. Since specifications and product lines do change disseminating incorrect information is absolutely wrong and I will pursue any and all legal procedures I can do make sure you will not perform this unprofessional act of stupidity again.

Sincerely,
Bryson Martin
VP Marzocchi USA

What should have been written:

Dear RM Guys:

It was brought to my attention that there are postings on the Ridemonkey site of regarding our 2005 product line. The photos are obviously shot at the recent Taiwan trade show, where we exhibit our "works-in-progress" as a preview for the benefit of our OEM partners. It is some time before their formal introduction, and elements of each model are subject to change.

Also noted, much to our dismay, was the posting of documents marked "Confidential". These documents refer to specific technical specifications, again works-in-progress, of our '05 lineup. As you can imagine, the breach in our own internal security that lead to these documents being leaked has caused us great concern, as we neither want the public misled as to final specifications, nor do we want our competitors a glimpse of our technology and strategy. Rest assured we’re looking for the source of this leak.

Because of this, we’re asking you to remove this information from Ridemonkey as soon as possible, and not force Marzocchi to pursue more formal methods, as that doesn’t do anybody in the industry any good. I’m sure you understand.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Sincerely,
Bryson Martin
VP Marzocchi USA

Took all of 5 minutes to write...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Matt D
How did the spec sheets get posted in the first place? Wouldn't they have to be from an "inside" guy?
No publicity is bad publicity right. Genius I say.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I don't know, I'm not one to tell anyone how to run their business. But if it was ME, I would have asked nicely for RM to remove the thread. It's amazing how far BEING NICE can get you in this world. Nobody likes an asshole, and if someone barked at me like that, you can bet your ass they would not get much of a response out of me.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
And the moral of this story?

Many techies lack the tact and language skills necessary to represent their companies in a dignified manner in public forums. Stick to what you do best- designing and producing the plushest and most reliable FR/DH suspension products on the market. Leave the PR to PR professionals. Really...would you allow an Ad Exec to do your R&D?

That being said, I will continue to purchase Marzocchi forks exclusively so long as they remain, in my estimation, superior to their competition. No sense cutting off my nose to spite my face simply because a couple of their people stumbled out of their areas of expertise.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am still confused how this is RM's problem other than him removing said material...if he wanted to out of the goodness of his heart.

The offender was the poster of the information and he should be handled accordingly.....lose his confidential info status or more.

This was a f'd up letter (never should have been sent out) sent to the wrong person. IMO.

Sep 10, 2001
Howdy y'al!

Wow what did I walk into???

As far as Bryson yeah he's got one (an attitude and an asshole), and he indeed designs the stuff which is why he refers to it has "his".
His lash out was more about the linked post then the the show photos that started the photo. The link photos were straight out of "our" OEM presentation book. These books are marked everywhere as Confidential...that's the problem. The show photos are cool the spec pages are not.

Just so you all know, and for those who haven't ran out and bought a FOX or Manitou, The specs on the link pages were wrong, ride hieght, features, names....they are all "not locked in" as "the specs" so when the original thread turned into the lets bash Marzocchi for there tall forks that's when it went from bad to worse.

Comments and buzz about new product is what keeps a company alive...along with sales ya know.

I agree Bryson is an asshole. But check this out (not trying to make it a good thing) Bryson singlehandedly started this MTB suspension company...15 years ago! :D

Take care everyone I apprieciate your comments.

Tom Rogers
aka Soul Rider
aka Old School:cool:
Tom,
I wish I felt as secure in my job here as you do....:D

We have certain rules, procedures, and such with our company in regards to talking about yet to be released products. The information that was scanned came from someone in Poland who is either
a) An OEM customer
or
b) Works with our distributor in Poland.

I have his e-mail address from the pics before Acadian pulled them for me. I can bet besides the nice email Tom already sent him, Byson will be sending him one, and somebody in Italy will know the address.

Hell, I barely get to see the info that was posted by this particular person because people here think I would be the one to do something like that. But as for the pics of the forks themselves, those will always turn up, and I will continue to piss people off by not talking about them until I am cleared to do so by Bryson.

Damn... It's only 8:45am... Can I go ride now??

Brian

J

JRB

Our side? can I ask who you are? since you are getting on RM to post who he really is...
He is Tom Rogers from Bikemag.

He already posted it.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
Originally posted by llkoolkeg
And the moral of this story?

Many techies lack the tact and language skills necessary to represent their companies in a dignified manner in public forums. Stick to what you do best- designing and producing the plushest and most reliable FR/DH suspension products on the market. Leave the PR to PR professionals. Really...would you allow an Ad Exec to do your R&D?
It's true dork's never had good people skills

HGR Frucci

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
K12
The guy obviously has an issue, when he calls everything "my, my, my"...

- Well, "my" opinion is - keep a better lid on your stuff if you don't want everybody to know what you've got or what you're doing.

- Find out who leaked the stuff that shouldn't have been leaked and fire them - unless it was "supposed" to be leaked in the first place.

This a weak thread. This guy has single handedly kept me off Marzocchi products for future seasons.