Quantcast

R- 9 compared to Sunday

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's in storage right now. It only sees use at burning man and the occasional mid summer bar run. I may have some pics from burning man with it in there but nothing close up.

I bought the second one after finding something on line where someone had bolted another one on a rigid fork and used an ungodly amount of spacers to get the front wheel to 135mm. I haven't done the mod yet due to lack of interest but probably should once I dig the bike out this spring. Should be pretty retarded looking.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
when are you guys gonna bust out a review of that badbeaver?
As soon as they make a ti spring kit for it we're supposed to get one. That and they need to add some platform to it :lighten: I heard Bender was hucking with one and they're amazing.

The coolest part is if you bring your bike on boat trips, you can just attach a rope to it and use it as an anchor.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
It's in storage right now. It only sees use at burning man and the occasional mid summer bar run. I may have some pics from burning man with it in there but nothing close up.

I bought the second one after finding something on line where someone had bolted another one on a rigid fork and used an ungodly amount of spacers to get the front wheel to 135mm. I haven't done the mod yet due to lack of interest but probably should once I dig the bike out this spring. Should be pretty retarded looking.
I totally forgot I sold you that thing. Why not just put a spare rear wheel in the front? It'd already be aligned for the V-brakes too!

Burning Man?:twitch:

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I was already thinking about digging it out this weekend and doing this:D Winter makes teh boredom.

Unless you've been your opinion is useless to me:D

Well my older brother went... If he's into it, its GOTTA suck! Seriously! He wrote code for a living and had two cats at once while living alone.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Topless woman with more hair than me and some of which could probably use a Willi Waller 2006
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. Besides you shave your legs with more attention than most women anyway.:D

The well to do and very well shaven far outnumber the stinky hippy contingent.

Like I said. If you've never been.........

Anyway sorry to highjack this thread from it's intent.

The shockster is a great product.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
You couldn't possibly be more wrong. Besides you shave your legs with more attention than most women anyway.:D

The well to do and very well shaven far outnumber the stinky hippy contingent.

Like I said. If you've never been.........

Anyway sorry to highjack this thread from it's intent.

The shockster is a great product.
and you take me seriously...

+1 for uncle Tom

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
The Sunday has a rearward axle path through mid travel. The big gain as you alluded to is the lessening of compression damping that the dw-link allows. This is a HUGE advantage. Try a shock from another non dw-link bike on the Sunday (or the 5th elements that came with the first batch of 05 bikes) and you will see the difference pretty quickly. The Sunday's dw-link uses/ can use 1/3 the low speed compression damping of a normal bike, and still accelerate without wild and uncontrolled suspension movement. This allows the suspension tuner to use the low speed to tune chassis response to corner entry and exit as opposed to trying to contol acceleration reaction.

Of course, if the rider has no will to understand how to set up the bike, or doesn't have the money or time to do what it takes to get the correct spring rates under him then its all for naught. The advantage goes away. In the hands of an enthusiastic rider who understands how to set up his or her equipment the bike can be a true weapon and a real advantage at the edge of traction. If a rider doesn't know or care to try to tune the suspension, or isn't riding at the linits of traction, the advantages become more blurry.

Dave
The Sunday's axle path is not significantly rearwards though, certainly nothing like a high-pivot bike such as a BB7. The difference in terms of bump absorption between that and a typical low-pivot bike (eg Turner) based purely on axle path tangency is not going to be big at all.

You say the bike can use 1/3 the LSC of most bikes - what about high speed compression? I really don't get why, if the bike is so sensitive, all the Sunday owners I know and have talked to, seem to reckon that the bike is fairly harsh in the rough. For example, at least 4 or 5 owners have said to me "it's not a plow bike" or words to that effect. Or (at least in your opinion) is bump absorption in that sense (plowing/rider comfort) not the same kind of thing that provides greater traction whilst turning/braking? Because for what it's worth, I find that my SGS is fairly harsh in a straight line (due in no small part to the fairly craptacular Manitou shock) but has a very good feel for rear wheel traction, compared to say a mate's M1 which is smooth as silk over choppy ground but is much harder to get a feel for traction on. Just interested in your thoughts on this.

Edit: this is not meant to sound hostile/argumentative or anything, I'm just curious :)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would think that the "it's not a plow bike" comment would have more do do with the fact it's got 8" of travel, a low BB, and a reasonably short CS length than the DW-Link.

Compared to a V10 or R9, which run upwards of 40% sag, the Sunday doesn't sag as much and it's got less travel. It doesn't have a skyscraper BB so you can't ram stuff with it, you have to be more careful.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Nah they were pretty specific about what they meant. Lower BBs are easier to plow through stuff anyway, who rides over 10" high bumps? Regardless, if the bike is as supple as Dave says it is, then it should be a pretty good plow bike - I think something is being lost in translation here (like I was saying with cornering traction vs rider comfort/harshness).

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Nah they were pretty specific about what they meant. Lower BBs are easier to plow through stuff anyway, who rides over 10" high bumps? Regardless, if the bike is as supple as Dave says it is, then it should be a pretty good plow bike - I think something is being lost in translation here (like I was saying with cornering traction vs rider comfort/harshness).
My sunday is pretty plush compared to the v-10's I've ridden, and they were set up for riders 20+ lbs lighter than me. And if you watched me ride, you'd probably say I use it like a plow bike, too. How else could I ding my rims up so many freaking times? :disgust:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i've ridden some of the same bikes. honestly with the spring rate you have to run on the v10 it totally defeats small bump absorbtion

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Based on a 200lb rider and common spring calcs here are some numbers for thought. The sunday needs the lowest amount of pressure to move the suspension. Hence why kidwoo felt it blew through its travel. A great fix for the sunday is to get an adjustable shock(dhx 5.0) where you can adjust its ramping up

travel stroke ratio spring Lb/ inch of travel
Sunday 8 3 2.67 333.33 41.67
v10 10 2.75 3.64 527.27 52.73
r9 9 3 3 400.00 44.44

...formating dont work...

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
That makes no sense. 4" of sag = no small bump absorbtion?
maybe i said that incorrectly, small bump absorption will not be as good as a lower leverage bike becuase more pressure is needed to move the suspension. if you look at the numbers i posted there is a 20% difference between lbs/inch for a sunday and a v10. i consider that a very large difference.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I see. My bad. I guess I've always just assummed that the V10 stuck to the ground and therefore absorbed bumps well.

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I see. My bad. I guess I've always just assummed that the V10 stuck to the ground and therefore absorbed bumps well.
That's because it does. After riding a V10 in the real world, as opposed to the internet, I'm willing to back it up too. That bike comforms with the ground and holds a line very well.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So on small bumps it doesn't work as well as a Sunday might, yet it will stick to the ground. I guess that makes sense.

Sticky yet harsh.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
holy crapzorz OMGzorz, like totally, i can't believe the sunday is not small bump compliant and neither is the v10, like, OMGzorz.
this is rediculous. put a roco on either of those bikes and your making cream cheese out of granite.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
I consider sundays a plow bike for sure.

Nothing like my shockster equiped hardtail but certainly more plow bike than my turner. And it's got eight and a half!!! inches of travel.
Now thats American Engineering! I'd love to see a camo-ano Shockster for late 1998, I mean late 2007...

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
re- railed thread... Would the R-9 be more like the m-3 I rode last season or the Sunday.. Would the r-9 corner better or the Sunday in the tight turns?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
The Sunday's axle path is not significantly rearwards though, certainly nothing like a high-pivot bike such as a BB7. The difference in terms of bump absorption between that and a typical low-pivot bike (eg Turner) based purely on axle path tangency is not going to be big at all.
Yea i'm curious to that one as well. from what i've seen with bike checker. Sorry for re railing this thread...

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Your graphs are not correct for the Sunday. Without actually measuring the bike and inputting the numbers by hand it is going to be almost impossible to use that program. For starters, the bike has 205mm of travel, where this graph shows 200.

Archives, plenty of info on this, discussed MANY times.

Dave

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Your graphs are not correct for the Sunday. Without actually measuring the bike and inputting the numbers by hand it is going to be almost impossible to use that program. For starters, the bike has 205mm of travel, where this graph shows 200.

Archives, plenty of info on this, discussed MANY times.

Dave
Looks like it. Doesn't even have the right amount of travel for the R9, so I would be suspect of a lot of the numbers that thing generates (more suspect than I am of numbers in general, which is very)