Quantcast

rampage course photos

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i found my way there this morning somehow and i'll never be the same. un-freaking-believable. i'm so glad i don't have to huck my carcass, but i'm glad there are a few riders that can actually handle this stuff! big red ted and his boys have killed it with building and they said they'll be "really" finishing all this week. they used 300 gallons of water (yes, not a typo) to solidify the landing to the canyon gap!

EDIT: Video with Big Red Ted!
[bliptv]mwnP3jAA[/bliptv]

60 feet - full size version at litter, it's too wide for here.

Last edited:

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Im looking forward watching this. With that kind of hang time, they will be flipping their bikes.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
holy sh!t!

BRT has done it once again! this is going to be the most insane ever.

bets for who will guinea pig the canyon gap yet? OTB perhaps?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Sweet Jesus!!!

The man who clears that is going to have a wheelbarrow to carry those cajones around.

Eren

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2006
mill creek, WA (now in Surrey UK)
EDIT: although i thought the wood features turned this more slopestyle-esque, after watching the vid on litter, all i can say is wow, this is sick and gonna be the best event ever

well asisde from the WC's :D

Last edited:

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
i put the big red ted video up at the top of this post, above the photos...FYI.

so freecaster says "keep up with the action" or something. no live webcast of it? not surprising b/c it's in the middle of freaking nowhere, but any confirmation (fraser?) would be rad.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
©2001;3063041 said:
i put the big red ted video up at the top of this post, above the photos...FYI.

so freecaster says "keep up with the action" or something. no live webcast of it? not surprising b/c it's in the middle of freaking nowhere, but any confirmation (fraser?) would be rad.
At last check there was no live coverage, but possibly a recap video from some sources.
But don't quote me on that, still in a fog from intardbike.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well...considering you posted that comment in a thread ABOUT Rampage, you could probably assume "yes."
It's not about being excited or not, it's about KNOWING that by next Monday, our sport in general will have been pushed a little further and something CRAZY went down.
Just because it's not your bag or it's something you can't do(join the majority, my friend), doesn't mean you have to hate on it. I'm on the owrk crew and I'm actually wondering if I'll freak out climbing up those cliffs, let alone hucking off them!
Some people just have a knack for certain things, let's help those people along and see what they can REALLY do!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Hey, anyone know if the riders will still be building portions of their own lines? Or is this a set-line course??? I always thought the KEY element of Rampage, and freeriding in general, was to build your own lines to show the world what you can do..

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
a couple more photos

this gives you a better perspective of how steep that sh!t really is as you second guess your speed for the 60 foot booter. (yeah, that little white spec is a person next to the ramp)

have fun with one of these stuck in your ass, LOL

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
What kind of elevation wasting crap is that line in?

No but seriously......is ass dragging on your tire with the brakes on cool again?
that's the approach for that canyon gap and i wouldn't be surprised if you have to straight-line most of that freaking thing to make it. i think you can enter about half way down the crud on the rider's left side...kind of a ridge in there.

either way, i'm not watching the guinea pig

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
That is even bigger than I thought from the calls today with guys out there. Much respect for those who ride it and equal respect for those who chose not to out of self preservation!

Be safe guys!

-ska todd

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, whoever's gonna be there, see you on Thurs! Assuming we don't get hurt trying to ride stuff along the highway during the 1000 mile trip there!
I'll be the guy with nearly finished tattoo'd sleeves either tripping over his shovel or pissing a pro off...most likely both...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
©2001;3064652 said:
that's the approach for that canyon gap and i wouldn't be surprised if you have to straight-line most of that freaking thing to make it. i think you can enter about half way down the crud on the rider's left side...kind of a ridge in there.

either way, i'm not watching the guinea pig

Dude that's like a 200-300ft elevation drop to clear 60 feet!?? :rofl::rofl:

I'll mail you a sixer if someone is actually dumb enough to straightline that into that ramp. And a year of therapy sessions to forget what you saw :D

It's tough to tell from the pics (what are those screen captures?), but I'm looking at that whole slope just below the white strip that looks like a cleared line. We may be talking about different things here.

Either way you and z better be shooting.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Dude that's like a 200-300ft elevation drop to clear 60 feet!?? :rofl::rofl:
yeah, i think the "photos" don't represent it well. it might be an 80 foot tall drop-in, i'm talking about all the scraped off stuff too, starting just above that lowest, major horizontal crack. the landing is basically near the far right edge of the photo. the dirt is DUFF (as in beach sand). i had my crappy video camera only and these are the what comes when using "photo' mode, LOL.

who knows what needs to be done to make that thing? i'm just glad i don't have to figure it out! all i know is that coming up short would be the worst thing anyone could ever do. it "seemed" like the jump was designed well, so you could over-shoot it a long way w/o a huge consequence. err on the side of too far, i say.

thankfully there are a couple riders that can actually handle this kind of stuff and make the right decisions about riding it.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
The guys attempting this are true madmen. I guess by the time the competition rolls around the stock market will be in such a toilet, guys won't mind hucking themselves into oblivion.
Is there going to be any TV coverage of this? wasn't there a 15 min or so highlight show on a major network few years back? This looks way more TV friendly (see:extreme).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The guys attempting this are true madmen. I guess by the time the competition rolls around the stock market will be in such a toilet, guys won't mind hucking themselves into oblivion.

Yeah my retirement account just went to shlt so hey, I'll guinea pig the fvck out that thing. The health insurance is still good........for now. :D

Thanks for the clarification spomes. Having been there and ridden the old courses a good bit, I know photos are pretty unreliable either way. Foreshortening does wonders.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Sweet baby Jesus, you've GOT to be sh!tting me...

...I could see Strait going for it on the pants-crappingly insane "Roll-In" to 60ft. gap and getting that wired after the 2nd try, but the ramp that was built after that drop that Woo was joking about - the landing on that HAS to be like 8 different kinds of crazy...

EDIT: How narrow is the run-out/landing...?

...so - they're gonna have a priest that doubles as a course official at the top, right?

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Am I the only one that's kinda turned off by the "built" stunts? I thought part of the appeal of Rampage as opposed to other events was that it was O'natural.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed, nor am I not going to be excited to see the footage. I just felt like Rampage wasn't the place for man made stunts.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Am I the only one that's kinda turned off by the "built" stunts? I thought part of the appeal of Rampage as opposed to other events was that it was O'natural.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not pissed, nor am I not going to be excited to see the footage. I just felt like Rampage wasn't the place for man made stunts.
Nah you're not the only one. There were smooth ramps at whistler, saalbach, and winter park. No need for them here. It's not like there's no place to do huge stepdowns or build 60ft doubles with the terrain that's there.

Does seem kind of a shame to 'park' it up. I mean honestly, hitting a nice, even radius ramp is kind of defeating the point of even dragging the event to virgin IMO.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'll agree with that^.

And the pic of the ski jump...does that look like there's a drop-in to it as well?
But I guess I'd rather have to shave speed than to try to pull it out of my ass on something like that. The fact that there's 300 gallons of water and some 'crete in the tranny for it bothers me a bit as well. At the end of the day(or a few hits maybe?), it's still just a big pile of sand.
Guess we'll know soon enough now. And I think BRT has done this before, so I have faith...

Last edited: