Quantcast

Random new bike thread

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
ask hab about his experience with a v1 spitfire. also reach on it only meets his requirements if he gets the XL.

druid was my first thought, but not available 275. plus i think he's tested one (or still waiting for a test bike)
I had a v1 spitfire, probably had the same issues.

As long as the geometry fits does it matter what "size" it is?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
That V1 Spitfire had some issues, but it wouldn't put me off another Banshee. They seem to have fixed all of them. Wish it was slacker, but that's not a bad call.

Shred Dogg is also steeper than I'd like, and the CS are shorter than what I have in mind. Looks like a fun bike (and I've ridden the Trail Pistol and Smash a lot, and am now getting some time on the Gnarvana, and like all three), but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
i bet its awful if you run 27.5 wheels on a 29 bike. i mean, it was such a horrible experience to it with 26 on a 27.5 bike...how am i even alive???
I am absolutely open to that if the BB drop isn't massive. The difference between a 26" wheel and a 27.5" one is smaller than 27.5" to 29" though.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i bet its awful if you run 27.5 wheels on a 29 bike. i mean, it was such a horrible experience to it with 26 on a 27.5 bike...how am i even alive???
while that's fine in principal, there's actually a bigger difference in diameter between 275 and 29 wheels than there is between 26 and 275 which is gonna add more bb drop

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I'm thinking about picking up a shorter travel trail bike, and am trying to think of what my options might be.

Ideal criteria:
  • ~64 HTA, 490mm reach, steep STA, chainstays in the 435mm range
  • ~130mm rear travel
  • 27.5" strongly preferred
The Transition Scout is the closest thing I can think of, but I bet I'm forgetting something.
27.5+......? Wildcat V2 goes close to a lot of your wants and the price is pretty reasonable, has a normal headset so you could slap a -1 in it .

1595325875197.png

A Whyte T-130 is a proper 650b, vey similar to the RSD but is steeper again at 65.6, I'll be interested to see if you find anything as the two I have listed are pretty much my shortlist, oh and the Process 134 but it is a bit out of spec for you.
1595326227574.png

Last edited:

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I'm thinking about picking up a shorter travel trail bike, and am trying to think of what my options might be.

Ideal criteria:
  • ~64 HTA, 490mm reach, steep STA, chainstays in the 435mm range
  • ~130mm rear travel
  • 27.5" strongly preferred
The Transition Scout is the closest thing I can think of, but I bet I'm forgetting something.

Because dentistry school is expensive and you deserve it.. 10mm more travel, 1 degree off on the headtube angle but everything else fits. Lots of hate for yeti out there, but go ride the bike. If its anything like my sb130, it will blow your socks off. I rode a shit ton of bikes, wanting to find something better and could not.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

Because dentistry school is expensive and you deserve it.. 10mm more travel, 1 degree off on the headtube angle but everything else fits. Lots of hate for yeti out there, but go ride the bike. If its anything like my sb130, it will blow your socks off. I rode a shit ton of bikes, wanting to find something better and could not.
dave is picky about 1mm of sweep on his bars. a whole degree off on head angle is a nonstarter.

speaking, @HAB did you ever order those ebike bars? :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shred Dogg is also steeper than I'd like, and the CS are shorter than what I have in mind. Looks like a fun bike (and I've ridden the Trail Pistol and Smash a lot, and am now getting some time on the Gnarvana, and like all three), but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
maybe you could use the stay kit from a different frame model to hit the CS length? and maybe convince mtg to make you some angle reduction headset inserts

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

Lord help me, that's surprisingly close. I'd do a Scout over it though.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
speaking, @HAB did you ever order those ebike bars? :rofl:
No, long story short I did some shuffling between bikes and stole the 20mm rise Renthal off my hardtail.

I do have a low rise Funn Kingpin on the way for the Gnarvana though. 5 degree back, 2 degree up. I'm stoked. :D

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
You're right, finding a slack trail bike that isn't a 29er is hard....

Knolly Fugitive is so close, but those damn wheels!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009

I've seen them around the forum and AFAIR some of the resident monkeys have experience with the company.
@HardtailHack if I'm not mistaken?
Yeah I have one, it's was great value but after seeing them copy BTR's gusset design and offering the geo of XYZ's frame in a cheap copy has put me off getting a dually from them, the Chinese brand welders in the pics do too, hahaha!

The Nicolai Saturn 14ST would go pretty close to the numbers too, if you pick the right Mutators, reach and stays would be a touch longer than requested.
Leverage rate has nothing weird going on-
1595410481377.png

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
The Pinner looks like a blast, and I have a Ranger already, but their wait list is close to a year now :(

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
I've always been a fan of BTR, and have seriously considered them on several occasions (Pinner and Ranger), but I can't ever get over the pricing. For similar/less money and a shorter wait, you can go full custom.

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
For me, with the Ranger, a significant part of the draw was that they had the geo pretty dialed for what I wanted from stock, without having to go super custom. Yes, I knew what I wanted, and could have gotten any number of guys to make something similar, but the fact that they got it and had already designed what I wanted counted for something. Plus they've got their tubing selection and construction dialed in for the geometry. The quality of the craftsmanship on the bike really is outstanding.

They aren't cheap, and aren't for everybody, but the fact that the waitlist is as long as it is is a testament to their ability to carve out a niche for themselves.

bagtagley

Monkey
Jun 18, 2002
VA
For me, with the Ranger, a significant part of the draw was that they had the geo pretty dialed for what I wanted from stock, without having to go super custom. Yes, I knew what I wanted, and could have gotten any number of guys to make something similar, but the fact that they got it and had already designed what I wanted counted for something. Plus they've got their tubing selection and construction dialed in for the geometry. The quality of the craftsmanship on the bike really is outstanding.

They aren't cheap, and aren't for everybody, but the fact that the waitlist is as long as it is is a testament to their ability to carve out a niche for themselves.
No doubt, and there's something to be said for experience and iteration and getting everything dialed. I'm a sucker for a short travel bike (FS and HT) with big bike geo, and their numbers are pretty dead-on.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

order the pinner and some trickstuff brakes. see which ones get delivered first.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Guys... talk me out of ordering one of these. What are the drawbacks?

(besides the price and color options.)

Leverage ratio, suspension design, shock size... does any of it suck? I haven't shopped for a "trail bike" in I don't know how long.

My only concern would be whether or not the brand will still be around for support over the next few years given the economic situation. People are dumping disposable income into bikes right now, but given a protracted economic downturn that will likely flip and smaller companies without cash assets may go under.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yeah I'm worried about that too...

Seems like there are so many start-up bike cos producing killer frames in 2020.

My only concern would be whether or not the brand will still be around for support over the next few years given the economic situation. People are dumping disposable income into bikes right now, but given a protracted economic downturn that will likely flip and smaller companies without cash assets may go under.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
They claim that that it fits a standard chain, but I haven't bothered to google how many links a standard 12spd chain comes with.

Chains last me quite a while these days, so an extra $40 is pretty low down the list of issues.

Looks like you have to buy two chains now.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Speaking of cool little brands, this thing is kinda hot, and you can run either wheel size.

They updated the geo recently, and the HA is me-Approved. Paint jobs are rad, if you like such things.

I'm skeptical of steel FS bikes, but would love to see / test ride one.

Last edited:

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
Guys... talk me out of ordering one of these. What are the drawbacks?

(besides the price and color options.)

Leverage ratio, suspension design, shock size... does any of it suck? I haven't shopped for a "trail bike" in I don't know how long.

Very interesting bike, would be high on my trail bike list. Pls buy and report.
@Steve M has a Guide and was liking it afaik. Good FC/RC ratio he talked about in the infamous youtube vid resulting in Leo with the big Pole getting a bit involved... :D

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
So... the bike may bottom easier than other designs, especially with a coil shock. Supportive in the mid stroke. Possible upside is more traction near the end of travel. Is that a good hypothesis?

Seems Levy liked it plenty, but the LR isn't quite the norm these days

Still, I too have a moderate chubb for basically all the modern HSPs

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
So... the bike may bottom easier than other designs, especially with a coil shock. Supportive in the mid stroke. Possible upside is more traction near the end of travel. Is that a good hypothesis?
Just looking at that graph, I'd say it might not be particularly supportive in the mid-stroke since the LR goes up, then it looks to get pretty progressive with the LR falling (steeply) below 2.1 at the end. Maybe that LR increase in the middle is why it feels like it has moar tractions in certain situations. But, its overall LR seems pretty low so it may work pretty well with certain shocks and shock tunes.

Last edited: