Quantcast

Random new bike thread

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
The man behind Egerie is Nicolas Masse, not the extra terrestrial one that comes to mind when seeing a Sunn Radical replica.
Slight derailment here, but anyone know if the extra terrestrial one is back riding? I recall seeing something about him having concussion symptoms at the beginning of the season (think he maybe was going to be doing E-EWS or whatever again?) and then nothing since.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Maybe you already know this…. Nico made that frame and the 2 others for Paul. He does a lot of custom frames for people and taught me a lot about framebuilding.
Here’s his Instagram

View attachment 197465
Ben, I respect you, but you had to have realised when I said “Nicos Vprocess” bike I meant THE Nico, not the frame builder at a small French framebuilders!
If you saw a vintage Tomac, and someone said “that was Johns personal bike” you’d think John Tomac, not John Smith.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Ben, I respect you, but you had to have realised when I said “Nicos Vprocess” bike I meant THE Nico, not the frame builder at a small French framebuilders!
If you saw a vintage Tomac, and someone said “that was Johns personal bike” you’d think John Tomac, not John Smith.
Apologies! I’ll do better, haha. I didn’t realize anything and thought you’d like to know where the bike came from. A shed near Morzine.

Did he tell you how many days ahead of those runs did he have to book the turns for the bike to actually be able to take them?
No reservations were made. Hehe, he’s a very good rider and can get through any section of trail you put in front of him. We were doing laps in Champery and he was right in the mix having zero issues. He has a very efficient race oriented style in the turns and that’s one of his strengths.

I’m currently running 460mm CS so pretty long too. Stable is nice when going faster.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
He has a very efficient race oriented style in the turns and that’s one of his strengths.
I once rode with a guide in the Sea to Sky corridor (hey, this was 2006... before trail forks and such trail apps). He said that about me too. What he really meant was that I cut corners.... what can I say, I'm part French!

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
"Trail" bike with an 80deg STA, I think I'll pass.
"Trail" bike with 160/170 travel alone suggests its real intention, which is hardly long flat rides.

79/80º Seat angle would be fine I reckon - same as the Privateer 161 essentially. You could always push the seat back on the rails. Just the fact its got the seat actually centred on the rails in the pictures sets it aside from half the bike checks where the seat is slammed all the way forward to get a steeper SA.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The old Giant DH team from 20 years back?

I see where you're coming from aesthetically... but otherwise. Nah. Not really

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
that thing is fugly as helllll. bit maybe rides great?
I don't get why you find it ugly. It looks great to me. I mean I'd still not get it since GT distribution around here is shit if nothing changed but I like a lot about that bike.

Also honestly why is GT so weirdly distributed in Yurp. I see them as rentals often but they seem relatively hard to buy.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Pricing looks very reasonable, at least for us Euros. Hope they sort out their availability and shipping fees for other regions soon.

4500€ for the top end model is pretty tempting, but still undercut by the Tues uncaged with Öhlins suspension. I’m really curious about reviews now.

IMG_7353.jpeg

Last edited:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
How reliable is Rose around warranties, getting replacement parts etc?
I’ve only ever ridden with one person who actually had one, so I really can’t say. I certainly haven’t heard anything generally negative, but I don’t think I would consider the brand outside of Europe at this point without a proven track record for serving international customers.