Quantcast

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Pfft, doesn't even have a Lauf fork. On second thought, no one around here in their right mind would be running metal bars with those kind of grips, way too cold in the winter, dentist or not. Hell the entire thing is like grabbing an ice-cube if you have to push it or carry it over something. There's a few people with titanium Fatbacks around here that were produced for a few years. Mostly, Ti just seems so cracky.

Pfft, doesn't even have a Lauf fork. On second thought, no one around here in their right mind would be running metal bars with those kind of grips, way too cold in the winter, dentist or not. Hell the entire thing is like grabbing an ice-cube if you have to push it or carry it over something. There's a few people with titanium Fatbacks around here that were produced for a few years. Mostly, Ti just seems so cracky.
So I'm guessing carbon bars... and if metal, what kind of grips?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ti stem/seatpost/frame/fork/handlebars.....former black sheep employee building own bikes....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So I'm guessing carbon bars... and if metal, what kind of grips?
Foam grips, the least heat-transmission.

IMO, a fat-bike is a snow-bike first and foremost. Other uses are just dumb...like why ride a fatbike when you can take your normal bike and just drag around 30lbs of bricks on a rope behind you? Same thing.

Foam grips, the least heat-transmission.

IMO, a fat-bike is a snow-bike first and foremost. Other uses are just dumb...like why ride a fatbike when you can take your normal bike and just drag around 30lbs of bricks on a rope behind you? Same thing.
I don't agree. Fat bikes are fun in their own way irrespective of season. For instance, if you happen to be where there is no established trail, I think they're better than a bike with skinnier tires.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I don't agree. Fat bikes are fun in their own way irrespective of season. For instance, if you happen to be where there is no established trail, I think they're better than a bike with skinnier tires.
I generally don't find terrain clear enough to do this, there's always too much under-brush or rocks, etc. I can imagine that it's possible in some places. The issue I have is a lot of people look at 5" tires and think it=5" of suspension. It's more like 5" of bump-postponement. If you go real slow, it'll suck up some stuff, but past that speed, it's a rigid bike pounding the hell out of you, and it's rather easy for bikes to pick up this kind of speed. At any significant speed on singletrack, it's ridiculous to pedal and they drag way towards the outside of the turns, making it impossible to carve with any speed. There are several people on MTBR that say they are "faster" on their fatbike, but they must be at a walking-pace all the time on their normal bikes for that to have any possibility of being true. Even for bike-packing adventures, I'd have to think 29+ or 27.5+ would be a far better way to go. I do think that fatbikes "can" be ridden in the summer though, much better than trying to ride a snowboard down a mountain in the summer, so for one-bike people in colder, it could be the ticket. There's beach exploring too, but I think these micro-communities are extremely small/limited.

I generally don't find terrain clear enough to do this, there's always too much under-brush or rocks, etc. I can imagine that it's possible in some places. The issue I have is a lot of people look at 5" tires and think it=5" of suspension. It's more like 5" of bump-postponement. If you go real slow, it'll suck up some stuff, but past that speed, it's a rigid bike pounding the hell out of you, and it's rather easy for bikes to pick up this kind of speed. At any significant speed on singletrack, it's ridiculous to pedal and they drag way towards the outside of the turns, making it impossible to carve with any speed. There are several people on MTBR that say they are "faster" on their fatbike, but they must be at a walking-pace all the time on their normal bikes for that to have any possibility of being true. Even for bike-packing adventures, I'd have to think 29+ or 27.5+ would be a far better way to go. I do think that fatbikes "can" be ridden in the summer though, much better than trying to ride a snowboard down a mountain in the summer, so for one-bike people in colder, it could be the ticket. There's beach exploring too, but I think these micro-communities are extremely small/limited.
There's also (for me) pulling a trailer with chainsaw and related tools and supplies for trail work, random mixed media (pavement, gravel, dirt, rock, swamp) jaunts up into the sixty mile range.

If it has pedals and no motor, I'll find a reason to enjoy it.

One difference may be that, based on your posts, you are into competition, whereas I'm not.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There's also (for me) pulling a trailer with chainsaw and related tools and supplies for trail work, random mixed media (pavement, gravel, dirt, rock, swamp) jaunts up into the sixty mile range.

If it has pedals and no motor, I'll find a reason to enjoy it.

One difference may be that, based on your posts, you are into competition, whereas I'm not.
Naw, I think the bikepacking thing and long-range stuff is just most suited to "plus" sized tires/bikes, not so much fatbikes. Agree to disagree. :)

That reminds me, I want to get an E-chainsaw for this spring ;)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!

Don't even think of moving that chair.

When I was younger I could make it past the fifth bolt. Just don't look into the streetlight was my strategy. If you jump from below the fifth bolt you will not clear the railing and will break your arm or whatever hits the ground or the railing first. The water squirts you past the piers and if the cop boat sees you in the water they will arrest you for trespassing.

Lived on the 3rd floor. $550/month for 4 bedrooms. The roof party's we had were epic. We built berms in the corners and would race our bikes up there.