Quantcast

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Mouse picked the wrong house.
My lazy neighbor after barely two inches of snow.
Sorta-not-quite cassoulet. Garlic-gruyere chx sausage & duck legs.
20191130_174236.jpg
20191117_183203.jpg
20191202_124250.jpg
20191205_160723.jpg
20191205_160947.jpg
20191205_170902.jpg
20191126_151307.jpg
20191202_124059.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
looks tasty. recipe?
Not Really Cassoulet
(adjust ratios/amounts/particular ingredients to taste or based on what you have)

2 yellow onions, quartered and split
1 bulb of garlic, peeled and smashed
2 cans cannellini beans, drained
bunch of carrots, peeled and chunked up
garlic gruyere cheese chx sausage (or whatever you've got) some sort of cheese infused works best, IMO
2 duck legs
ends of a couple random fancy cheeses left in the fridge - not sure what they were...not too much, or it just turns gloopy. hard cheeses work best, vs. soft/melty stuff.
16 oz homemade turkey stock (chx, veggie, beef, whatever you've handy)
1# baby red potatoes, quartered
S&P, a bay leaf, one big sprig of fresh thyme

heat oven to 300F

in a big pot or dutch oven on high heat, brown the duck legs, then put aside
do same with the sausage. if your pot is large enough, just put it all in at once

put the onion, carrots, garlic and herbs in with heat medium. brown. a nice chunky mirepoix. add celery if so inclined.

add broth, beans, the cheese ends and turn heat low. stir now and then until the cheeses are sorta' dissipated

put the potatoes in. bring back to a boil. (you can put them in earlier if you want them to end up softer/mushier)

take off stove, put lid on, stick in oven for 30-60 minutes. basically until the carrots and potatoes and cooked to your liking.

serve with some sort of crusty bread/side salad/whatever. or not. it's a very mutable recipe, easy to add more veggies, make it thicker/thinner/whatever. have done if many times with variations. my local big grocery market has a modest amount of duck and lamb stuff, and i usually have a couple pounds of mixed bits in the bong garage fridge.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not Really Cassoulet
(adjust ratios/amounts/particular ingredients to taste or based on what you have)

garlic gruyere cheese chx sausage (or whatever you've got) some sort of cheese infused works best, IMO
2 duck legs
ends of a couple random fancy cheeses left in the fridge - not sure what they were...not too much, or it just turns gloopy. hard cheeses work best, vs. soft/melty stuff.

heat oven to 300F

do same with the sausage. if your pot is large enough, just put it all in at once

put the onion, carrots, garlic and herbs in with heat medium. brown. a nice chunky mirepoix. add celery if so inclined.

add broth, beans, the cheese ends and turn heat low. stir now and then until the cheeses are sorta' dissipated

put the potatoes in. bring back to a boil. (you can put them in earlier if you want them to end up softer/mushier)

take off stove, put lid on, stick in oven for 30-60 minutes. basically until the carrots and potatoes and cooked to your liking.

serve with some sort of crusty bread/side salad/whatever. or not. it's a very mutable recipe, easy to add more veggies, make it thicker/thinner/whatever. have done if many times with variations. my local big grocery market has a modest amount of duck and lamb stuff, and i usually have a couple pounds of mixed bits in the bong garage fridge.
i might make a modification of that. i'm the only one in the house that likes duck, and cheese sausage is hard to find. i could serve/finish with shredded gruyere.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not Really Cassoulet

2 duck legs

heat oven to 300F

actually, now that i think about it, i did something similar recently but ham instead of sausage, again no duck, no potatoes, no cheese. no wonder i found this appetizing.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
actually, now that i think about it, i did something similar recently but ham instead of sausage, again no duck, no potatoes, no cheese. no wonder i found this appetizing.
I'd LOVE to use pork/beef, but Mrs. Scrub has dietary issues there. We use a lot of duck and lamb instead, but overwhelmingly chicken.

Heading here this evening, and plan to hit the pork and lobster pretty hard. And the bison tongue.