Quantcast

Recommend me a snowboard.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
hmmm no never summer suggestions? Its been a while since ive ridden but i've always put them at the top of the list.
good boards, yeah... but they sound like they would be too heavy for what stosh is looking for. they have a pretty solid core, which is great for adventuring off trail... but if he's not venturing off trail it might be overkill.

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
best all around boards of all time r the rome anthem and and burton ballance (now called t6), and no bindings r better then burton (the p1hd's kick ass), and as for boots get burton aswell, i like the feel of the hails(medium soft) aswell as well as the ion(medium stiff). stance is a personal preferance no mater what any one else tells you the more comfortable the better, personaly i ride -5 in back and+15 up front ive riden this stance for 13 years and love it, a little negative in back is nice if u land switch alot

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
best all around boards of all time r the rome anthem and and burton ballance (now called t6), and no bindings r better then burton (the p1hd's kick ass), and as for boots get burton aswell, i like the feel of the hails(medium soft) aswell as well as the ion(medium stiff). stance is a personal preferance no mater what any one else tells you the more comfortable the better, personaly i ride -5 in back and+15 up front
i always thought the rome anthem was more of a park board?

edit: nevermind. was thinking of the agent. too similar of names

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
:cheers: salomon malamutes for me, stiffest that i could find, and fit me like a glove. Gotta remember, ALL boots will soften up a little when you wear them.
We used to sell a lot of womens models to guys with small feet. If you have a mens 7 or so, good chance that your foot is narrow as well. In fact when buying for the store, i always needed, and bought, some high-end womens boots in 'man friendly colors' for just that reason.
Ya, I have a pair of Vans something for women. It was reportedly the stiffest women's boot ever made. So stiff, that no women bought it so they discontinued it? It's basically plain white with a tony bit of white and burgundy, so not too bad, and easy to hide in garish technine bindings on a star spangled Palmer board.

Size 7 it is, they fit me like a glove. A very, VERY stiff glove. Also, gotta love real leather boots.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
My Ride boots fit me like a glove as well. I think they're the Orion model. Perhaps not the fanciest but incredibly comfortable.

Anybody have experience with the Ride Spi bindings? Looking at either that or going a bit cheaper and getting the EX model.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
for sure... my nitro pantera is the best board i ve ever ridden... not as stiff as my ride yukon, much more forgiving but a better snap out of corners... shes on rails... it s on the far right... 05/06 model..

this is me testing it in solden, austria 12 months ago... demo day... i was going to get an arbor roundhouse... thankfully i came to my senses and i was lucky enough to land myself 2 new sleds last winter...

QUOTE]

Nice pics, I got a pair (165cm and 162) of matching serial # (both #69 of 150 made) darkhorses direct from Nitro Europe the last year that i worked at the shop. I still have the 165 and I love that board. I truely cannot see a reason to replace it at this point. I have not found anything that i like better.

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
i always thought the rome anthem was more of a park board?

edit: nevermind. was thinking of the agent. too similar of names
ya the rome anthem is kinda a park board but i love hitting big backcountry kickers and pow on it too, theres no where i cant ride that thing

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
for sure... my nitro pantera is the best board i ve ever ridden... not as stiff as my ride yukon, much more forgiving but a better snap out of corners... shes on rails... it s on the far right... 05/06 model..

this is me testing it in solden, austria 12 months ago... demo day... i was going to get an arbor roundhouse... thankfully i came to my senses and i was lucky enough to land myself 2 new sleds last winter...

QUOTE]

Nice pics, I got a pair (165cm and 162) of matching serial # (both #69 of 150 made) darkhorses direct from Nitro Europe the last year that i worked at the shop. I still have the 165 and I love that board. I truely cannot see a reason to replace it at this point. I have not found anything that i like better.
nice... the darkhorse is another sick board... i really like nitro stuff... got my stuff direct through nitro europe as well... damn i miss that hook up :(

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Bah, this thread made me realize I need new boots. :( Has anyone actually got any time in with the Sl9, Ion and Driver X from Burton? I will probably take a look at those 3 this weekend.

I need stiff as hell, real leather, formeable liner and super secure strap/lace system without the garish graphics (danny kaas model anyone?). I LOVE that my vans have a velcro strap across the top to keep the laces from working loose.

Bah, this thread made me realize I need new boots. :( Has anyone actually got any time in with the Sl9, Ion and Driver X from Burton? I will probably take a look at those 3 this weekend.

I need stiff as hell, real leather, formeable liner and super secure strap/lace system without the garish graphics (danny kaas model anyone?). I LOVE that my vans have a velcro strap across the top to keep the laces from working loose.
don;t know if they are stiff enough for you.....but i have a set of salomon malamutes that i love, and follow all of those except the velcro strap, but they have a different lacing system.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005

when i asked at my local shop about the driver x the guy told me that they are super stiff boots. he tried to steer me away from them but then again he also thought i wouldn't need/want any board stiffer than a rome anthem. its a great all around board but it feels so unstable when i am going fast.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
My Ride boots fit me like a glove as well. I think they're the Orion model. Perhaps not the fanciest but incredibly comfortable.

Anybody have experience with the Ride Spi bindings? Looking at either that or going a bit cheaper and getting the EX model.
Aluminum bindings have always hurt my feet....Seems like they transmit a lot of high frequency vibration through the aluminum (sound a lot like the down fall of aluminum road frames huh..??).

I personally have ridden burton bindings since 1987. I run a mis-mash of an old carbon CFX base plate with a custom carbon disk and a set of pre production team sky-backs. It is a VERY stiff and VERY tall high back binding, but there is just that little amount of give in the composite base plate that has always felt more comfortable to me.

I will also tell you that over all, (there were some modes that had issues over the years) we had a lot more aluminum binding come back bent that we ever had 'plastic' ones come back broken. As a guess i would say that we sold about 2000 pairs of bindings a year...one of the three largest snowboard dealer in the nothwest.

But ...the lower to mid end aluminum bindings do offer a more supportive set up that the low to mid 'plastic' ones.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
don;t know fi they are stiff enough for you.....but i have a set of salomon malamutes that i love, and follow all of those except the velcro strap, but they have a different lacing system.
For some reason I am partial to vans and burton boots. I have no idea why i have this quirk, and it's quite illogical and not based in fact, but I have it anyways. :twitch:

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005

the burton ions are realy nice ive had 3 pairs and loved them all theyr comfortably stiff , not over kill though, theyr probably my favorite of all time and ive been riding awile, 14 years come december, 10 years competitive

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Last I heard burton was getting huge flack for their weird ass lacing system (ie: it doesnt use laces). Apparently laces were shredding making the mechanism absolutely useless and a pair of $500 inoperable until it is replaced. Not cool.

Anyone knwo if this was fixed for 06/07 stuff? I need to call my local Burton hookup and see what I can get them for. The Driver X is ridiculously stiff from what I understand, the stiffest they make. This is exactly what I want.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Stosh:
Thanks man!
Where do you usually ride?
...heh - in your backyard pretty much, I guess.

Noticed under your avatar that you are from Orange County in NY state. I'm from just over the border in north Jersey, so growing up I used to ride all the time at Hunter (which sux and is really crowded - even ten years ago) and sometimes I would go to little Mt. Peter in Tuxedo (this is the mountain where I learned to ski... loooong time ago).

These days I like to go to Mt. Creek since they stepped it up and added a park and super-pipe, Stratton, and if it's during the week, I'll cut out on some responsibilities if I can get away with it and go back to Hunter.

I REALLY need to get out west - been planning some stuff with my friends from college - hopefully it happens this year.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Rember that i have been out of the loop for a year and a half ..but..

The burton boots all still fit a little 'vague' (roomy) for my tastes. The heat form liner is much better that the old Dale boot knock off that they used for so long, but it is still not the best fit fot me.

You will not find a real leather snowboard boot in north america, sorry. The reason has to do with import duties in to the USA. Leather boots, no matter the use, are classified as hiking boots and are taxed an a much higher rate than ski boots (2 - 3 Xs IIRC). The snowboard industry went to synthetics about five years ago, after loosing many battles to get leather snowboard boots recognised as ski boots. In the end, manufacturers swithched to synthetic shells to get the lower tax classification of the 'ski boot'.

Driver X is the stiffest, by a fair bit. We sold lots of these to the bigger back country ripper type of guys. The ion is close and seems a little redundant to me. It had a lighter fabric-type outer to keep the weight down, but i think its biggest draw is that it was ALL black. The sl 9 is IMHO a joke! My store was (and still is) a coalition dealer as well as one of the few top tier retailers that got a crack at those boots (as well as other limited 'allocation' product) when they first came out. I refused to carry them (burton does not like things like that, they like to tell you what you 'need' to carry). They were VERY soft and used the SAME heat fit liner that is in their boots that cost half as much. This is one of the 'cool' products that burton makes and hypes and then sells for WAY more than it is worth. The hail offers all the same functional benefits, is 'cool', and costs much less.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rember that i have been out of the loop for a year and a half ..but..

The burton boots all still fit a little 'vague' (roomy) for my tastes. The heat form liner is much better that the old Dale boot knock off that they used for so long, but it is still not the best fit fot me.

You will not find a real leather snowboard boot in north america, sorry. The reason has to do with import duties in to the USA. Leather boots, no matter the use, are classified as hiking boots and are taxed an a much higher rate than ski boots (2 - 3 Xs IIRC). The snowboard industry went to synthetics about five years ago, after loosing many battles to get leather snowboard boots recognised as ski boots. In the end, manufacturers swithched to synthetic shells to get the lower tax classification of the 'ski boot'.

Driver X is the stiffest, by a fair bit. We sold lots of these to the bigger back country ripper type of guys. The ion is close and seems a little redundant to me. It had a lighter fabric-type outer to keep the weight down, but i think its biggest draw is that it was ALL black. The sl 9 is IMHO a joke! My store was (and still is) a coalition dealer as well as one of the few top tier retailers that got a crack at those boots (as well as other limited 'allocation' product) when they first came out. I refused to carry them (burton does not like things like that, they like to tell you what you 'need' to carry). They were VERY soft and used the SAME heat fit liner that is in their boots that cost half as much. This is one of the 'cool' products that burton makes and hypes and then sells for WAY more than it is worth. The hail offers all the same functional benefits, is 'cool', and costs much less.
Well that certainly blows. I haven't bought boots in probably 4-5 years. Leather rules. I was pretty sure the SL9 was a gimmick, but haven't had a chance to see them in person.

Last year's driver x felt pretty slick, I am going to try them on this weekend and see if I can get one to fit me. If not, I may have to find a super stiff women's model, which from looking, doesn't appear to exist at any brand anymore.

When I worked in the snow industry, I was in a backroom/tent/back of a truck mixing custom race waxes and such. Aluminum powder if you wanna win on a flat course. Just remember that, and life will be good.

oops, well if thats all u ride then i guess that works then dosent it
the biggest thing about stiffness in a boot is the responsiveness....just like on a bike you want it to do what you tell it to, a stiff boot is much like a stiff fork/frame/wheel/whatever it does what you tell it to....

but they are also less forgiving....you do something wrong and BLAM you are on your ass....they also arent as good for freestyle cause you can't tweak your airs as much....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
For some reason I am partial to vans and burton boots. I have no idea why i have this quirk, and it's quite illogical and not based in fact, but I have it anyways. :twitch:
Try on the high end salomons, they rock. Over a course of two years, they went from less than 5% of our boot sales to well over 50%, taking a GOOD chunk of sales from every other vendor, and causing us to drop some brands. . Last year i was there, we sold close to 1000 pairs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
the biggest thing about stiffness in a boot is the responsiveness....just like on a bike you want it to do what you tell it to, a stiff boot is much like a stiff fork/frame/wheel/whatever it does what you tell it to....
You can go edge to edge MUCH faster in a stiff boot, you can also feel the snow better. Super important in a BX race and even in the woods. The only times I ride park are when I am blasting down it hitting the big line and speed jumping everything.

You can go edge to edge MUCH faster in a stiff boot. Super important in a BX race and in the woods. The only times I ride park are when I am blasting down it hitting the big line and speed jumping everything.
haha that is awesome....that is my main issue now is comfort in the air, but much like a bike i just need to get out and do it, only been able to get out a couple times a year for the past 9 years or so.....might be why my rossi still rocks...hopefully this winter works out. got a new salomon burner 167 last year, definitely need to get the skill up to ride that board how it wants to be ridden, but they few times i got it right to push it it was awesome (5'10 and 225 means i can get the thing to flex and carve)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
When I worked in the snow industry, I was in a backroom/tent/back of a truck mixing custom race waxes and such. Aluminum powder if you wanna win on a flat course. Just remember that, and life will be good.
Who for?

There is a wax co named holmencol that makes a 'silver' wax. You dont see it much any more, but the 'old timers' tell me it was the big thing at one time...I always had good luck with most high % flouros, and lots of structure..wet out here though real wet.

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
ya but theres stiff and theres too stiff, it personal preference, im riding the burton hails and there somewhat soft and more comfortable, and they r realy nice for park and freeride, i want a little flex in my boots when im throwing a cab 9 or fs rodeo for example, and it helps when im tweeking out any thing

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
haha that is awesome....that is my main issue now is comfort in the air, but much like a bike i just need to get out and do it, only been able to get out a couple times a year for the past 9 years or so.....might be why my rossi still rocks...hopefully this winter works out. got a new salomon burner 167 last year, definitely need to get the skill up to ride that board how it wants to be ridden, but they few times i got it right to push it it was awesome (5'10 and 225 means i can get the thing to flex and carve)
Big boards are quite unwieldly in the air. It took me a bit to get used to flying a 158 at my size. It's sorta like a cadillac in a parking lot...point, shoot and hope nothing gets in your way.

Big boards are quite unwieldly in the air. It took me a bit to get used to flying a 158 at my size. It's sorta like a cadillac in a parking lot...point, shoot and hope nothing gets in your way.
yeah i was even uncomfortable with my 161....i think it may just be the sideways thing, may try skiing this winter if i can make it worth a season pass and kill a few of the not so nice days learning....doubt i will ever stop boarding but may at least try skiing. i think i just need a few weeks on the board again like when i was in high school....hopefully the job search allows me to stay here in bend yet again and have a home to board in the winter....

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
ya but theres stiff and theres too stiff, it personal preference, im riding the burton hails and there somewhat soft and more comfortable, and they r realy nice for park and freeride, i want a little flex in my boots when im throwing a cab 9 or fs rodeo for example
True True.

Some of us are old farts though and have a slightly different agenda on the hill. I spent three summers at Hood working at camp and riding pipe and park EVERY day. I always rode a smaller board and loosened up my boots for movement.
Nowdays, though my idea or air is an old school method, at mach 9, off of a 20 footer to untracked whatever. Out here that 'whatever' is most likely ten to twelve inches of 90% moisture content muck at 34 degrees. Lots of chunder requires lots of ankle/foot support to carve through.

True True.

Some of us are old farts though and have a slightly different agenda on the hill. I spent three summers at Hood working at camp and riding pipe and park EVERY day. I always rode a smaller board and loosened up my boots for movement.
Nowdays, though my idea or air is an old school method, at mach 9, off of a 20 footer to untracked whatever. Out here that 'whatever' is most likely ten to twelve inches of 90% moisture content muck at 34 degrees. Lots of chunder requires lots of ankle/foot support to carve through.
to me a method is still teh most styly air that can be done......nothing beats a tweaked out method just floating for style....now to learn to jump so i can do one...

glivingston5

Chimp
May 9, 2005
True True.

were u a digger at hood?