Quantcast

Recommend me a snowboard.

zman, i looked long and hard at that 167 burner last year... nice ride for sure...
yeah i love it when i can ride it right, jsut need to get there...it needs to break in and honestly with only getting about 5 days in last eyar, so do my malamutes....i love stiff boots and boards, but rigth now i need to wait for them to break in....at 230lbs helps to have the stiffness....just need the skills, but isnt that always the case?

Here is a pic where the burner rocked. i found that on the clean corduroy i was fine, could rip that thing, and the faster it went the happier it was....as well as the powder, but when it got choppy or bad light on the groomers i couldnt control it....too stiff for my skills at that time. trade to my 161 rossi and i was ripping again. have nothing against the board, i just didnt have the fitness/strength to power through. hopefully this winter will change that... by the way the pic is in Davos, Switzerland a day or two before new years this year....

Attachments

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
nice... yeah i m in the 220 club so i know what ya mean regarding boards... i ve prolly done 25 - 35 days in my malamutes, broken in a treat... they are still super stiff and also real comfortable... couldn t be happier with them...

euro powder - mark that down as the main thing i miss...

all the prices we are talking are board only. then you have bindings and boots that are extra.....
i wqas wondering what stosh was thinking, look into Burton, and if you need new bindings, look at DRake, i love mine.

i had a Burton dominate for 1 season, more of a jumps board than anything, I rode a short one, I liked it, but got rough if it was not groomed well.

nice... yeah i m in the 220 club so i know what ya mean regarding boards... i ve prolly done 25 - 35 days in my malamutes, broken in a treat... they are still super stiff and also real comfortable... couldn t be happier with them...

euro powder - mark that down as the main thing i miss...
yeah both times i have made it over i have had epic bluebird days....best part is we had that section of mtn till about noon, and we got there at about 9, were wrecked at the end....oh and it was the liftline...how the hell does that happen? no one was riding it but us. the other thing i have to figth with that board...and especially where stiff boots and bindings come in is that i have size 9 feet....i dont have toe overlap if i run them at 0degrees. which means i can lay it way over, but leverage is a little low. either way i still love it

Hey any of you ride with a pack? started riding with a helo pro (dakine) last year and started liking it...especially having the water with me, made a huge difference. didnt notice it until i used it, but was nice to have....that and can keep spare glove liners and things with me on the mtn. (i haev really picky hands...either cold or hot....usually too hot then sweat and get cold.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i had just a camelbak on when i was out in colorado. it was nice because i had easy access to water which i think helped in acclimating to the altitude as i never noticed the increase in altitude the whole time i was there.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i ride in a camelbak havoc... good size for assorted sh1t plus i can stash my helmet till it s time to ride... works out well.. i stash my camera, goggle lenses, tools, powerbars, cash, clothing layers etc in mine... as well as a full 3 litres of h2o

Turd

Chimp
May 25, 2006
Big Sky Country
Bah, this thread made me realize I need new boots. :( Has anyone actually got any time in with the Sl9, Ion and Driver X from Burton? I will probably take a look at those 3 this weekend.

I need stiff as hell, real leather, formeable liner and super secure strap/lace system without the garish graphics (danny kaas model anyone?). I LOVE that my vans have a velcro strap across the top to keep the laces from working loose.
I have 100+ days on my Drivers last year and they held up great. By far one of the best boots I have ridden. The vibram is far better than the flip out spikes that Burton tried a few years ago for hiking. They also come with plastic cuff deals if they aren't stiff enough for you out of the box.

For everyone else, allot of people around here swear by Never Summer. They seem to hold up the best. That said, this will be my 16th season riding 45+ days a year and I'm back on Burton. I don't ride park or ice, but I'm sure they make some nice boards for that.

-Turd

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
WOO, just found out that Palmer has brought back the carbon circles, with the carbon circles 2. They also have the full carbon Platinum LE. yes, 100% carbon construction. Oh dear, choices.

going to try on some drivers this week if at all possible.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
ride = cheese, burton = quality
I disagree. Mikey LeBlanc was one of my best friends in high school. We started snowboarding together back in the day (I won't date myself with the actual year) and I know he wouldn't lend his name to a product that was sub-par. That being said, 3 out of the 4 boards I've owned have been Burtons. (The fourth beign a Gnu which I will never buy again.) You're going to get a great product either way.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Never Summer Euro 06, maybe the 07 is out. If you really want quality in a board and have six hundred to spend on a deck, then go with Never Summer, always.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Ultimate in poppy boards, Palmer carbon circles BX board. Flexy enough to make up for some botched (typical) BX landing, but snappy enough to blast you out of corners and off lips. It railed in the backcountry too...

Must agree with Fraiser on this one. I was researcing Palmer boards before I talked with him and what he had to say sold me on it. Picked up a Palmer Crown on Ebay and rode it all last season with the PLS plates on it. That setup HAS to be ridden aggressively. The first couple days I was on the board i was starting to get pissed at myself for dumping $500 bucks ($900 retail) on a board. But once i adapted I began to notice that the board popped and transferred from edge to edge like no other board I've ever ridden. The only way i can describe it is when yer in the zone on your DH bike and yer just railing turn after turn, making transferres from left to right turn almost faster than you can handle them. I think I'm sold on Palmer for life.\

Oh yeah and do yourself a favor and buy the green Superfeet insoles. I tried on like 10 different boots of varying price ranges for 30mins each and on everyone I devolped a hotspot under the ball of my right foot. the sales guy recommended the Superfeet and it instantly cured my problems. I now have Superfeet insoles in my running shoes, my snowboard boots, and my work boots.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Must agree with Fraiser on this one. I was researcing Palmer boards before I talked with him and what he had to say sold me on it. Picked up a Palmer Crown on Ebay and rode it all last season with the PLS plates on it. That setup HAS to be ridden aggressively. The first couple days I was on the board i was starting to get pissed at myself for dumping $500 bucks ($900 retail) on a board. But once i adapted I began to notice that the board popped and transferred from edge to edge like no other board I've ever ridden. The only way i can describe it is when yer in the zone on your DH bike and yer just railing turn after turn, making transferres from left to right turn almost faster than you can handle them. I think I'm sold on Palmer for life.
Hell ya. I am super stoked they brough back my baby this year. I am getting one on the way ASAP. I may also pick up a platinum Le because i want a freeride board, and I'm a whore for carbon.

There is nothing like rocking a long steep groomer and hitting edge after edge on a Palmer. It's just friggin unbeleiveable. I don't think I could ride another board and be 100% happy. every demo i have ridden since from any brand feels sluggish (some more than others, obviously). It's the best of both worlds - soft boot setup, hard boot carve.

On that note, I may be putting my worked CC up for sale inthe classified dirt cheap. No need now that I can get a new one. YEAH! Still keeping the baggers though.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
For some reason I am partial to vans and burton boots. I have no idea why i have this quirk, and it's quite illogical and not based in fact, but I have it anyways. :twitch:
HEy frasie I know you got a bias but take a look at the DC Judges. They got that old Reebox pump thing going on but I REALLY works well to secure your heel vs those el cheapo inserts in the Burton Ions. They also have the BOA system which after rocking laces for the last 10 years I am very appreciative of. ...but then again my last pair of boots were these Airwalks that I still used up until last season.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
HEy frasie I know you got a bias but take a look at the DC Judges. They got that old Reebox pump thing going on but I REALLY works well to secure your heel vs those el cheapo inserts in the Burton Ions. They also have the BOA system which after rocking laces for the last 10 years I am very appreciative of. ...but then again my last pair of boots were these Airwalks that I still used up until last season.
Tried em, not stiff enough.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Hell ya. I am super stoked they brough back my baby this year. I am getting one on the way ASAP. I may also pick up a platinum Le because i want a freeride board, and I'm a whore for carbon.

There is nothing like rocking a long steep groomer and hitting edge after edge on a Palmer. It's just friggin unbeleiveable. I don't think I could ride another board and be 100% happy. every demo i have ridden since from any brand feels sluggish (some more than others, obviously). It's the best of both worlds - soft boot setup, hard boot carve.

On that note, I may be putting my worked CC up for sale inthe classified dirt cheap. No need now that I can get a new one. YEAH! Still keeping the baggers though.

The Platinum LE!?!? Yes you are a carbon geek!:biggrin:
How's that one different from the Crown? ONe big sheet of carbon rather than two strips in the Crown? What are the Carbon Circles called now?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The Platinum LE!?!? Yes you are a carbon geek!:biggrin:
How's that one different from the Crown? ONe big sheet of carbon rather than two strips in the Crown? What are the Carbon Circles called now?
The Platinum is ALL CARBON. Core, stiffeners, top sheet.

The CC is now called the carbon circles 2 (great creativity over there).

Hardboots give me sore legs, not down with it. The Driver sounds like the ticket. My vans aree ridiculously stiff. Just enough give to let my ankles flex a bit for control.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
The Platinum is ALL CARBON. Core, stiffeners, top sheet.

The CC is now called the carbon circles 2 (great creativity over there).

Hardboots give me sore legs, not down with it. The Driver sounds like the ticket. My vans aree ridiculously stiff. Just enough give to let my ankles flex a bit for control.

Well when you finally get that Platinum and put some time on it let me know how you like it.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I just got a new pair of Driver X's from last year. They're stiff alright.

I had bought Drivers from a couple years ago (white and yellow ones), used them about 6 or 7 times, and decided that be it my flapping foot fitness, or just a boot too small, I needed to get a size larger. Went from a 7 to an 8. They'd better not be too big. We shall see...

In either case, the Driver and the Driver X are uber stiff. Even without the extra plastic tongue thing they give you. I heard the Ions are even stiffer.

I tried on a pair of Nitro something or anothers and those were crazy stiff, but crazy ugly and felt cheapo with a wierd lacing system. But those were really stiff. They were all black. Check out Obsession on St-Laurent. They were giving stuff away a few weeks ago. That's when I got my Driver Xs for half price.