Quantcast

Retrogrouch thread...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a complete set of 8 speed XT drivetrain, shifters, cassette, chain, chainrings. Its not new, but it works. It sits in a box on a shelf however....

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I just switched back to tubes. It just isn't worth the effort. Tubes are way more reliable. I love not having to top off my tires before every ride. Suck it tubeless. Although I do love how you feel...bitch

And I just put a $50 bell on my bike. Paid for it with a trillion dollar bill. One of those is a fact.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nevver understood the computer on a bike thing. Tried it, ended up focusing too much on the stupid thing and not on the ride...will use the HR monitor on the single speed now sometimes for HR training, but not often. Just ride the damn bike already...
I have a cateye wireless on my CX commuter bike (always had them on the roadies), but I like to see my speed on the commute. Never had one on a mountain bike.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I just switched back to tubes. It just isn't worth the effort. Tubes are way more reliable. I love not having to top off my tires before every ride. Suck it tubeless. Although I do love how you feel...bitch
I have the opposite experience with tubeless, so much more reliable, and about the same amount of tire top-ups. Been on the same Crossmax XL tubeless wheelset for almost a decade, so I think they qualify as retro, even if I have machined adapters for the new fangled 15mm axles all the kids are running these days.

I don't want instrumentation in front of me or music in my ears when riding.
I like to know how many miles I ride each week/month/year, so I always ran a computer on my bars, but then Strava came along and let me throw my phone in my Camelback and not think about/see it. It's awesome. I don't get the riding with headphones thing, or hiking with headphones for that matter, lots of cool sounds out on the trail to hear, and random people to talk to.

For me, knowing my millage is a big motivator to get me to ride more, thus I've been tracking it since like 1994.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

And I just put a $50 bell on my bike. Paid for it with a trillion dollar bill. One of those is a fact.
You don't live in goats heads or thorn country, I presume. (I don't, but ride there often)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I used to have a computer on my bike, but after living in the mountains, riding steep rugged trails for three hours and only going eight miles, I realized tracking milage was completely irrelevant. Now I just go by time in the woods.

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
That's because most of the pvssies out here avoid the rugged steep trails. Which is perfect by me. :cool:
Yeah, I hear ya. Every time some dirt roadies follow me into the woods of my favorite local anti-flow/old school technical trail, they quickly become frustrated with the tightness and all the roots and ask me how to get out of the woods. I of course tell them to keep following the trail back to the road.

I've recently learned that I get confused for a beginner rider. I guess, it's because I'm not wearing a racer boy skin-suit, not riding a 29r and moving kind of slow on the climbs. Most of those guys are all about some straight up and down turning, completely ignoring the berms and their function. My Spitty is stupid fast in the corners and I push it as hard as I can. A few times some leg shaving weenie boy will scold me for going too fast. :rofl:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
You don't live in goats heads or thorn country, I presume. (I don't, but ride there often)
We have goat heads here in CO, but apparently not where I ride (knock on wood). But yeah, if I lived in a place with tube-piercing cacti, I'd prolly put up with tubeless. I usually run dual ply/dh tires anyway. They usually do a good job protecting from thorny things (knock on wood again).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

AngryMetalsmith

Jun 4, 2006
I'd be down with that. As long as I have an idea of what to expect.

I was told that the Dyke Trail in Crusty Butt would be a fun, short, pre-breakfast ride. It was not. After an empty stomach, not enough water, got lost a few times, fell over in the fetal position towards the end, got a ride from some hippy chicks carrying a load of river rocks, we finally got back to the campground at dinner time.

Absolutely gorgeous scenery though. Would love to do it again, but this time come prepared.

In Brevard, NC there were a series of XC races in the '90s held at Camp Carolina, the home of the Heinous Downhill. The course climbed a 1000 ft. in the first mile and dropped 900 ft. in the last mile. Very, very steep.