There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
How'd it go?
Good, pretty good turnout considering Richard Emerson the head brewer from Emersons Brewery was at another bar just around the corner also doing a tasting and a presentation of a new beer.

The guests all liked the beers we served in this order
Radler
Spezial Gold (Helles)
Ohne filter (Keller/landbier)
Ohne Filter Extra Herb (unfiltered extra noble hopped Pilsner)
Diplom Pilsner
Wiesse
Wiesse Dunkel
Jubilaums Dunkel.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Lumberyard Hefeweizen
Green Flashing Brewing Co. Barleywine.

First one was very good, just about to try the second one.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
And right now I'm drinking: Summit Extra Pale Ale. Have been on a kick to find slightly cheaper beers that are still yummy after a post on beeradvocate about what were the best beers under $20/case. First up was Point Cascade Pale Ale in cans ($9.99/12-pack) which was pretty good, and now this which was $11/12-pack for long necks. Not bad, a little lacking in hops, but overall a decent beer. If anything it's a good excuse to get me out of the rut of Moon Man, followed by Moon Man, followed by Moon Man....

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Picked up 2 at the store today.

Southern Tier Oaked Unearthly IIPA
Deschutes Black Butte XXIII

Hopefully they're good.
Pretty good choices. Had the XXIII first and it was interesting. Hints of orange zest in a porter is something new to me. But it worked and the overall taste was enjoyable.

The Unearthly was smooth for a 9.9% IIPA. Not quite as smooth as some I've had but it was a tasty beverage that I would pick up again.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pretty good choices. Had the XXIII first and it was interesting. Hints of orange zest in a porter is something new to me. But it worked and the overall taste was enjoyable.

The Unearthly was smooth for a 9.9% IIPA. Not quite as smooth as some I've had but it was a tasty beverage that I would pick up again.
Ooooh, the XXIII is out? Will have to look for it when I'm back in the States in ~3 weeks. IIRC they never bottled the XXII so I never got any of that but the XX and XXI were both awesome.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yah. It definitely retains the porter taste, but has some interesting flavor combinations going on.
Nice. That seems to be what they typically go for with them, just different variations on the theme. Good stuff.

Kinda excited to get back to drinking American craft beer. Oz has some good stuff for sure, but nothing like the selection we have in the US. We're spoiled, and it's awesome.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nice. That seems to be what they typically go for with them, just different variations on the theme. Good stuff.

Kinda excited to get back to drinking American craft beer. Oz has some good stuff for sure, but nothing like the selection we have in the US. We're spoiled, and it's awesome.
Hell it sounds like half the stuff you had was from NZ anyway! :rofl:

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hell it sound like half the stuff you had was from NZ anyway! :rofl:
Pretty nearly. Can't find that stuff in the states though so it still counts as far as being novel.

I've got 3 more weeks over here, so it's not like I'm done just yet. But missing some favorites from home for sure- see: Ale Smith Speedway, among others.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
A homebrew while I sterilise bottles for the next batch. :)

Then later tonight I have another Fullers past masters, and a rigger of Three boys Oyster stout...... Hmm I really must talk Dom into putting this on the handpull again, its my fave, the oyster stout is made for this style of delivery! :cheers:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004

I just ran across North Coast's Twentieth Anniversary Ale. Looking at it makes me drool. Have not picked one up yet. Maybe today is the day!!

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
I just ran across North Coast's Twentieth Anniversary Ale. Looking at it makes me drool. Have not picked one up yet. Maybe today is the day!!
Did not spring for this....

But am drinking a Scuttlebutt Hoptopia Imperial IPA currently. It is definitely more muted in nose and bite than a lot of the IIPA offerings from around here (PNW) but I like how it is balanced. Pretty good lingering hop taste too...which I like.