Quantcast

RIP Nissan Xterra

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Last night I lost her...

:(

There was a slight dusting on the roads and just enough to make them super slick!
We were driving along slowly when a car coming in the opposite direction lost control and slammed into the front of my Xterra. My 2 air bags went off and the car that hit us spun around into a ditch. I jumped out and went over to the car in the ditch. I help her and her 22month old baby out of the car. Both seemed a little shaken and banged up but in ok health. Aubrey and I both made it out fine as well. My back was really hurting after and I made the mistake of mentioning it to the medic on scene, so I got my first ever ambulance ride. What a gigantic waste of time that was. Anyway thats my story for the weekend.

Now I have to go thru all the insurance crap'ola

Anybody know any good deals on 05 xterra's?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
OUCH!! Sorry to hear that Stosh, but glad that everyone came out of it relatively safe!! I've been in several accidents and they're never fun, big or small.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
OUCH!! Sorry to hear that Stosh, but glad that everyone came out of it relatively safe!! I've been in several accidents and they're never fun, big or small.
oh we got a perscription for vicadin, I guess the trip to the ER wasn't all bad. :)
j/k

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That really Locos. Glad y'all were allright though. Do you really think the Xterra is totalled? It probably is the best thing if it is.

kizzi77

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
nashvegas
That sucks!!!! Glad you're alright. Hope you get paid well for your misfortune! And good luck on the new car search!

Oh I forgot...Thanks, westy....I mean that locos a big one!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
That really Locos. Glad y'all were allright though. Do you really think the Xterra is totalled? It probably is the best thing if it is.
I had that huge after market bumper on it. The hood, front fender, bumper, side door all got pushed back. I could have driven it off because of the bumper but it's a 2000 with 120k on it so I'm sure it will be totalled. Both airbags deployed and they are pretty expensive.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Sorry to hear Stosh. I'm glad everybody was alright.
If your insurance hooks you up, the new Xterras are really sweet.
But if they don't hook you up, and you have to get a crappy car,
you have the vicodin to make you feel better.
Win win situation.:)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
stosh said:
Last night I lost her...

:(

There was a slight dusting on the roads and just enough to make them super slick!
We were driving along slowly when a car coming in the opposite direction lost control and slammed into the front of my Xterra. My 2 air bags went off and the car that hit us spun around into a ditch. I jumped out and went over to the car in the ditch. I help her and her 22month old baby out of the car. Both seemed a little shaken and banged up but in ok health. Aubrey and I both made it out fine as well. My back was really hurting after and I made the mistake of mentioning it to the medic on scene, so I got my first ever ambulance ride. What a gigantic waste of time that was. Anyway thats my story for the weekend.

Now I have to go thru all the insurance crap'ola

Anybody know any good deals on 05 xterra's?
I am sorry to hear that Stosh... specially when you were going to get some primo snow to work with out there!!! Working out the insurance crap always locos... and every insurance situation I have ever been in I have lost out on... I hope you have better luck with them than I had!!! I am glad everyone is ok!!!

snutty

Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
Oakland in da house
i just picked up a 05 exterra and love it. silver, offroard edition, 6spd.... they are hard to find but if you can find one you can get a good deal from it. i for mine 3500 dollars uner m.s.r..p

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
glad to hear only mechanical things got wrecked.

now you get the joy of going through paperwork.

how does that work exactly? i'm assuming that if you trash a '02 car, that you don't get exact replacement costs for a new one, would you (would assume that depreciation is taken into account)? i've never had to wade through the quagmire of insurance.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
narlus said:
glad to hear only mechanical things got wrecked.

now you get the joy of going through paperwork.

how does that work exactly? i'm assuming that if you trash a '02 car, that you don't get exact replacement costs for a new one, would you (would assume that depreciation is taken into account)? i've never had to wade through the quagmire of insurance.
Well first you have to pay your deductible, then they factor in depreciation. It all depends though, sometimes you can come out ahead. Where it gets really complicated is when you still owe on your car. When you get the insurance check, you can pay off the car, and then use the rest to make a downpayment on your next vehicle. Then again, if you are upside down in your car loan, then your best bet is just to stock up on lube.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
maxyedor said:
I didn't know you could kill an ARB bumber, I guess I now know
Actually, I could probably re-mount the bumper, there are 3 bolts on each side of the bumper that mount the bumper to the frame. 4 of the 6 bolts sheered off.

The engine was still purring like a kitten after we got it. The engine compartment was barely touched.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
stosh said:
Actually, I could probably re-mount the bumper, there are 3 bolts on each side of the bumper that mount the bumper to the frame. 4 of the 6 bolts sheered off.

The engine was still purring like a kitten after we got it. The engine compartment was barely touched.
Did the the doors open/close properly. If not the frame was prolly bent.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Rip said:
From looking at it, it looks like it can be repaired.
yep I'm with rip... if it is close to being totalled, but you bitch up a storm, they will fix instead of totalling it... then if you don't like the body work the shop does, you can trade it in. but you ALWAYS get the shaft when dealing with "total losses"

I live on a busy street in P-burgh, and I have had 2 cars totalled at different times infront of my house while sitting parked. both times I was out serious money... $2000 to $4000 because the figure they had for value wasn't anywhere near what it cost to replace them!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Westy said:
Did the the doors open/close properly. If not the frame was prolly bent.
passanger side didn't open properly.
I think it was the fender that was hitting it though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
brungeman said:
yep I'm with rip... if it is close to being totalled, but you bitch up a storm, they will fix instead of totalling it... then if you don't like the body work the shop does, you can trade it in. but you ALWAYS get the shaft when dealing with "total losses"

I live on a busy street in P-burgh, and I have had 2 cars totalled at different times infront of my house while sitting parked. both times I was out serious money... $2000 to $4000 because the figure they had for value wasn't anywhere near what it cost to replace them!!!
What I owe on the car is pretty much what it's worth.

It's going to be close either way. If they give me the money to fix it I'm just going to pay off the loan and sell it to the junk yard.
the 2 The air bags alone are a lot of money to replace.
2 head lights
2 turn signals
grille
2 fenders
possibly 1 door
2 frame out riggers
1 hood
fan on the front of the radiator
bumper
The front engine compartment unibody took a bad hit too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
syadasti said:
You really want the new Xterra I bet :D
Yeah I'm going to try and purchase an 05.

I've been drooling over them on Autotrader.
Any other places online to look?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
stosh said:
Yeah I'm going to try and purchase an 05.

I've been drooling over them on Autotrader.
Any other places online to look?
Haven't done much car shopping lately. I think Costco has a program where you can get some brands of cars for near invoice cost. Check Cardirect too.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
syadasti said:
Haven't done much car shopping lately. I think Costco has a program where you can get some brands of cars for near invoice cost. Check Cardirect too.
Yeah, I've been looking at cars direct too